Step Sequencing events in Hyperdraw/Hyperedit

blueflash

Hi,

Can anyone tell me whether it's possible to use the Hyperdraw or rather HyperEdit window to "step edit" parameters in say ES1

and

how i easily work out which prog controller numbers refer to which parameter in the synths, unlike Track Automation they don't name them and I cant find a way of finding out what number say, the Cutoff refers to in order to program it into the Hyperedit window.

The only reason i want to use the Hyperedit window is it seems the only way i can effect a feature of the Logic VSTi in a rythmic, tempo based manner, like the sequencers of old. If there's another way then great. :)

Hope this makes sense

Dan

That's great, that works but with some odd results I find.

If i try to edit the data after quantizing (else there are far too many bars to play with) I cannot add any other bars without checking the 'Channel' tickbox in the Hyperedit panel and changing it to '2', i've no idea what the first channel is doing as it seems to be in part a duplicate with no editing power for the parameter it was created with, makes my head hurt.

At least I can work it now but i'd rather understand why it does this...makes little sense to me.

Thanks

Dan

On any audio object, fader events are divided by MIDI Channel: Cha 1 is for the main channel strip (volume, pan, solo, mute, send levels...), Cha 2 is for the first insert (instrument for an Audio Instrument object), Cha 3 is for the second insert, and so on.

If you look at the fader events in an event list, you'll notice they are on MIDI Cha 2. Therefore you need to set the hyper editor to the same MIDI Cha if you want to add events and have them control the instrument parameters.

Here is one way to do it:

1) Set the Audio Instrument track automation mode to "MIDI".

2) Press record and tweak the desired parameter (Ex: Cutoff on ES1).

3) Open the Hyper Editor.

4) Choose Hyper > Create Hyperset for Current Events.

I tried this but it just gives me the tweaking as Track Automation. How could I open that in the Hyper Editor?

Hyperedit is one of the few features of Logic that really defeats me. Anything I can do in it ok I can do just as well in the Matrix editor, except for being able to change the grid for a specific drum sound which is very handy but I don't need it that often.

What I did earlier was tweaked the EFM1 via midi from a knob on an external controller & that got recorded as Track Automation. I'm sure it was set to MIDI then.

I've tried again just now, tweaking an EFM1 knob on screen with the mouse. I can get a Hyperset for that tweaking but there are so many different little blocks in the graph, all overlapping so it is very difficult to select individual ones.

What I'd like to try, which I think is what blueflash wanted too, is to have a quantized set of Hyper Edit blocks to do rhythmic stepped tweaks to a synth like old CV Gate sequencers could. However if I erase the crowded mass of blocks that are there & draw my own quantized ones on the grid, those new ones don't send any signal to the synth.

What I'd like to try, which I think is what blueflash wanted too, is to have a quantized set of Hyper Edit blocks to do rhythmic stepped tweaks to a synth like old CV Gate sequencers could.

That's what I described! The reason you first tweak a parameter while recording is so you don't have to create all the event definitions manually in the hyper editor. You can then erase the existing automation and redraw your own.

However if I erase the crowded mass of blocks that are there & draw my own quantized ones on the grid, those new ones don't send any signal to the synth.

Make sure you read the whole thread, I forgot to add that you have to change the MIDI Channel to the respective insert # (starting at 2, and knowing that the instrument is the first insert on an instrument channel strip).

It should work exactly the way you want it to.

.......... forgot to add that you have to change the MIDI Channel to the respective insert # (starting at 2, and knowing that the instrument is the first insert on an instrument channel strip).

It should work exactly the way you want it to.

It is now. Thanks.