Line 6 PodxtLive with Logic and agrivated devices.

Hello everyone again

I understand that your supposed to create a device to support various interfaces, but what i can not understand is how your supposed to know which ones they are when you get a pop up menu with a number of i/os and no indications to which are the PodXT Lives in this case for me.

This thing is driving me nuts, i am back at square one when i first got it and used to see the signal but do not hear it unless i connected the Pod directly to monitors or a mixer, And when i had it working before on a PPC it was ok cause it did via USB, since i got intel it seems it does not do it or i am routing something wrong.

Can anyone please refresh me on this?

if you go to the window/screenset that shows your audio configuration in logic pro you can name you inputs and outputs.
but i still dont hear anything cuase i cant tell what needs to be configured or what hardware is part of CORE AUDIO., which is the only driver i see in that window.

this is trial and error.

you have to create an aggregated device, and choose that for you audio driver in logic.

then logic will most likely (depending on how you setup the a.device) will use the built-in audio for sound out, and then you can choose how you get sound in on each channel strip.

as far as knowing what input is what, you have to try and see. then go and rename accordingly. that is about as it in a nutshell as you can get.

LP,

Just saw your post and looked over at my Bass XT live and thought to myself..."I forgot all about that. :oops:

So I went online, became a member, registered my pedalboard, D/L that monkey software and installed the driver.

I ran into the same problem and even changed logics core audio to the pod. Nada!

So I went to the Audio/Midi App in the Applications section of my mac and changed it there too.

My bass pedal is now the input and output for my sound and midi. I have to use the output or headphones on the pedal in this instance. I used some Logic effects to prove to myself it was working. It sounds fantastic.

If you are still having problems let me know. And thanks for the post!

Mark

:D

I can save you much trouble and say that there really is no difference between using the USB or using the output of your POD into your interface audio input.

It is easier for me to use method 2 with the different pedals I have since I want to hear the sound from my studio monitors.

Thanks for your post shivermetimbers, i also forgot how to set up the USB to do PROFESSIONAL RECORDING meaning stay in the mix (INSIDE the CPU) by using sends to a bus shared from across all channels so i do not sound like a amateur guitar player with a tunnel of FX onstage as if my amp is a giant megaphone echoing all over Saint Patricks Cathedral., its 2007 and i do not have or want a external mixer just to use a PodXtlive, unless it is also digital domain of-course.

And yes the difference is what i mentioned above, when the PodxtLive goes DIGITAL, once it is inside Logic's world the Pod and its crazy out of control volume levels between sounds that blow out your monitors is more under control, unless you go through every sound and guess what levels to keep the volume at since no limiters are on the unit using GearBox you still have this silly Volume Pedal you wish was just a crybaby you did not have to use over 45lbs or jump all over to turn on.

Seems like Line6 did not design this PODXTLive for guitar players or producers in mind did they? :D but more like kids who want a Randy Rhoads look alike pedal board with the screaming high gain noisy amps to jump around in the mirror.,

Now i suggested a few things to Line 6, the plug in idea was one of the results they tortured me about yet they charge for plugs requiring hardware or a dongle as well now and at the price of a BlackBox while Line 6 failed to create seamless plug in interface to take advantage of what is INSIDE there products...

But thanks for your post, i posted the tedious solution and i cant find my picture perfect instructions now, maybe someone remember how to do it straight forward rather then hacking around.

Thanks

I can save you much trouble and say that there really is no difference between using the USB or using the output of your POD into your interface audio input.

It is easier for me to use method 2 with the different pedals I have since I want to hear the sound from my studio monitors.

Thanks for your post shivermetimbers, i also forgot how to set up the USB to do PROFESSIONAL RECORDING meaning stay in the mix (INSIDE the CPU) by using sends to a bus shared from across all channels so i do not sound like a amateur guitar player with a tunnel of FX onstage as if my amp is a giant megaphone echoing all over Saint Patricks Cathedral., its 2007 and i do not have or want a external mixer just to use a PodXtlive, unless it is also digital domain of-course.

And yes the difference is what i mentioned above, when the PodxtLive goes DIGITAL, once it is inside Logic's world the Pod and its crazy out of control volume levels between sounds that blow out your monitors is more under control, unless you go through every sound and guess what levels to keep the volume at since no limiters are on the unit using GearBox you still have this silly Volume Pedal you wish was just a crybaby you did not have to use over 45lbs or jump all over to turn on.

Seems like Line6 did not design this PODXTLive for guitar players or producers in mind did they? :D but more like kids who want a Randy Rhoads look alike pedal board with the screaming high gain noisy amps to jump around in the mirror.,

Now i suggested a few things to Line 6, the plug in idea was one of the results they tortured me about yet they charge for plugs requiring hardware or a dongle as well now and at the price of a BlackBox while Line 6 failed to create seamless plug in interface to take advantage of what is INSIDE there products...

But thanks for your post, i posted the tedious solution and i cant find my picture perfect instructions now, maybe someone remember how to do it straight forward rather then hacking around.

Thanks

I didn't forget how to... I forgot to do it. I've had the pedalboard for about a year now. Once I have the settings for my Bass all set up and running, I only have to step on the specific pedal. If there is a sound in the (Bass)POD I want to use, I can record it to a Logic audio track thru my audio interface. There is no difference going that route or using the USB connector. It all ends up at the same place. The benifit is that I can leave my main interface connected to my monitors.

As far as Logic is concerned, I simply use Guitar Amp Pro and control it with my FCB1010 foot controller. I can use a handful of tracks preset to the specific guitar sounds I need and select them. Once selected, I can control every parameter (Echo, reverb, volume, tremelo, etc) with my foot. All my settings are fixed and I don't have to worry about anything blowing up my speakers because my foot pedal is only used as a controller.

Thanks for your posts though but i need to understand how to set up the agrevating device., a allready know how to use a PodXtLive stand alone while connected via USB and listening to it coming out of monitors or somewhere else outside my actual mix in a computer.

Can someone please point to the link on how to set up the agrevated device in order to made the PODXTLIVE work as advertised , which was to use its USB interface like any other audio interface in order to record while monitoring in the same signal in my mix and not going back and forth to deal with levels .

This is the question here.

http://line6.com/software/index.html?hardware=HD147&name=Line+6+Edit&submit=Show

That is a link to the intel upgrade for the pod(s).

I am not on intel (yet) and the POD works thru the USB without setting up any Agrevating device (as you call it). After you D/L and install, everything should work exactly as it did went you were on the PPC.

http://line6.com/software/index.html?hardware=HD147&name=Line+6+Edit&submit=Show

That is a link to the intel upgrade for the pod(s).

I am not on intel (yet) and the POD works thru the USB without setting up any Agrevating device (as you call it). After you D/L and install, everything should work exactly as it did went you were on the PPC.

we discussed this before :)

It allways worked, but you could not monitor the sound via USB, only see the signal.

I allready have Line6 monkey and all the monkey buiseness up to date.

To get sound out of logic with the USB, I have the Audio Hardware and Drivers set to the Pod for the I/O device.

On the POD itself, I have my monitor connection at the model OUTPUT jack and the level knob turned up to a comfortable level.

That's as good as it gets for me. I can record via USB, or I can go thru my other audio interface device (not both).

The Audio/Midi set up in the Utilities section of the mac has no effect on what Logic has set up to use as a driver.

That's about all I can say. I am not sure what is different about the intel drivers.

Good luck

To get sound out of logic with the USB, I have the Audio Hardware and Drivers set to the Pod for the I/O device.

On the POD itself, I have my monitor connection at the model OUTPUT jack and the level knob turned up to a comfortable level.

Good luck

shivermetimbers you mentioned this over and over, i got it man, i did along time ago, its not the way to go or the question here, you understand? :)

You can also add a crybaby before i enter the podxtLive and then the USB digital connection., not with a variax guitar but with a natural one ;)

LP,

Sorry for the repitition. I am confused as to exactly what answer you are looking for. At this point I am reading that you get no sound when using the Aggregate set up.

The Aggregate device is a collection of multiple interfaces set up to be used as one device. In this case, you asked how to set the POD up as an aggregate device.

Here is a link that discusses the creation of the Aggregate devices:

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=6557&highlight=aggregate

In that thread is also a link with more info:

http://homepage.mac.com/edgarrothermich/

When I hook up three devices (POD,GNX4, US-122) and set up the Aggregate device, I cannot get any sound out unless I select one of the individual devices.

I have seen many threads where this audio question was asked, but didn't get any solutions. My theory in this case has to do with the USB bandwidth.

I am not using my set up this way and so it is not a problem. However, I would like to know if when using an aggregate set up where the audio out is supposed to be from and what would cause it NOT to work.

The aggregate set up is more of a Mac computer problem and not one of Logic's.

Many viewers of this forum overlook the different sections and maybe this post could yield better result in the main forum.

Good luck

:)

-Got it Home boys

Very simple

Step by Step

1-Go to Audio/MIdi set up

2-In the Audio menu open Aggregate device Editor

3-Check the box of whatever hardware you want to hear PodXtLive, "example:M-Audio Ozone".

4-And make sure before closing to also check Clock of that device.

Even if your not using the builit in Audio make sure it s checked.

5-Close that window now and go back to your audio/MIdi set up.

6-Defualt input: PODxtLive

7-Defualt Output; The device you chose again "Example:M-Audio Ozone".

8-System Output: Built in or whatever you want again, "Example:M-Audio Ozone".

NOTE: i deselected Built in at one point before when i set this up and that is why it will not work, internal Audio has to be selected all the time in Aggregated Device Set up.

And finaly in the Logic or Audio application's audio preferences, choose Aggregated Device as your driver.

Thats it Smile

I hear my PodxtLive digitally and it sounds really cool.

Oh and be sure to select the right input on your channel strip when recording, allot of knuckle heads like me missed that too.

Now the reason why you did not get any audio is cause the whole Aggregated device thing misleads us all., we are supposed to select all the devices in the Aggravating Device set up, then in the audio midi set up we choose the input and output.

Then after all this, in our application we are to choose aggregated Device, and when recording to hear them we decide which input to use, as i stated above, the inputs reflect the sequence in order as is in the Aggravating Device SET UP (not audio midi)., for example if it says Int input, then PodXTLive, then Kontrol8 your Audio Config in Logic will reflect the same sequence and the i/os numbers of those devices.

You should label them in order to see them in the pop up of your channel strip inputs., i totally recommend you use your Pod this way for you will get the most out of it.

Incase you ask why Agrevating instead of Aggregating, its not a typo, it was aggrevating me.

LP,

Congrats on getting it to work. :D

( I knew off the bat what you meant by aggravate comment. :wink: )

I can get one or the other, but not the Aggregate.

I am on an older system and sometimes I will get a pop up about the USB bandwidth is insufficient to work properly with the POD. :(

I will read and reread your last post and try to get it working. Hopefully I will. It all makes sense, but there is always some detail to make it work or not work.

Thanks for the persistence and triumph!

Mark

LP,

I will read and reread your last post and try to get it working. Hopefully I will. It all makes sense, but there is always some detail to make it work or not work.

Mark

Mark beware that Line6 Podxt lives want direct USB connections to your CPU, not HUBs.

this has been one of my issues recently again, i forget from time to time and connect it to a HUB, i have 2 here.

BTW, you play bass?

Edited by Logic Pro

LP,

Mark

Mark beware that Line6 Podxt lives want direct USB connections to your CPU, not HUBs.

this has been one of my issues recently again, i forget from time to time and connect it to a HUB, i have 2 hear.

BTW, you play bass?

I did try just the POD and the US-122 direct to the old iMac, and still got the pop up about connecting it to a different USB port. :cry:

Normally I have about 7 USB ports used up with other things like the wireless mouse, the Tranzport, US-122, etc. So for now I can live without it and will go the other route until the fall when I can look into the 8core /w Leopard. I don't heard a big difference for a live application.

More than likely a bandwith issue because at one point I did get a muffled low signal via USB. Using it alone i get a great signal. My Hub is a 4 port 2.0 going back into the USB 1.2

I play a few different instruments including Bass. I have the Bass pod xt live (Bass) and the GNX4 (Guitar). I am also using the Boss RC-50 Loopstation and controlling everything with the FCB 1010 foot controller.

And you?

I think it will work,

Based on what you posted about you been able to record audio via USB but monitor the Pod via its own outputs, then as long as you see the signal in Logic and hear it during play back it should work, you just can not do more then a 2 tracks with the Pod..

If you let me know exactly what your Aggregated device set up looks like as well as the audio midi set up i bet you i can get it to work.

let me know...it is really cool to have hardware guitar pop up into your mix like you mic' em., i also go direct via a Marshall out into Logic and i record feedback and all.

Also i asked if you play bass cause you said you have the bass pod., i wonder if its good., If you do not mind i would love to hear your tracks man.

Peace

P.S. i just also found my old post finaly

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?p=19004&highlight=#19004