Spring Reverbs

relaxnfade

I've been obsessed with dubby spring reverbs for years now. I'm getting some ok sounds from the Vintage Reverbs in Space Designer, but am I yearning for more. It seems there isn't much choice in the factory goods that came with Logic, and I haven't found many third party reverbs that really focus on spring reverbs. Can anyone offer any advice on where to find some good spring verbs (or even get more out of Logic than just the Vintage Reverbs in Space Designer? Just so I'm clear, I am looking for spring reverbs, not dub delays and the like. (I'm already very well covered in that department) :-) Thanks!

Sweet! Those links are great! The spring reverb IRs they have sound wonderful!

So where do you put these IR's after unzipping?

I've created a folder called "Impulse Responses" in ~/Library/Application Support/Logic/ (note the tilde at the start, meaning it goes in your home folder path, not the root path)

Then, I load them up in Space Designer, and then save presets for each one. The presets don't embed the custom imulse responses within a file like the factory ones are (that are located in /Library/Application Support/Logic/Impulse Responses/ and end in .SDIR) so make sure when you make your presets, you don't delete the responses in the folder you made, or your presets will be null.

Just curious... A real spring reverb has certain nonlinearities resulting from its mechanical nature - a built-in distortion, so to speak. SD's design is strictly linear. So the result for the impulse that was originally used for recording the IR will lead to the original sound, but for different signals it might deviate... Did anyone notice that? Or maybe you should use a decent distortion after the reverb?

Lots of helpful info here. Thanks everyone. I'd never really looked into Space Designer before because I thought it was just for accurate models of real spaces & I prefer very artificial sounding old reverbs. (Audio Damage's Reverence is my favourite reverb plug-in.) I didn't realise there were lots of IRs of vintage machines.

This is a deviation from your original post. I realize you are not specifically asking for hardware solutions.

But, have you considered going with a real spring reverb either built in to an old 'live' board, or pushing stuff through a guitar amp (w reverb) and taking the signal out of the effects loop jacks.

Unfortunately these things take up space, but I've had good results. I used to love the spring reverb in my mixing board, before it stopped working. :( Erm, yeah, that's another downside. Maybe it's best to stick with software solutions.

...I'd never really looked into Space Designer before because I thought it was just for accurate models of real spaces...

Convolution processors can be a lot more fun than that - grab some speaker cabinet impulses and insert SD onto a guitar track for example.

Any sound file can be loaded into a convolution reverb and used as an impulse - load a snare sample in and send another drum into it.

Another one - use some white or pink noise as your impulse file and run a vocal through it.

Try using a synth waveform... :)

8)

Granted, they're probably meant for real spaces, but with experimentation some unique sounds can be coaxed from convolution verbs. Who knows, maybe one day we'll see convolution synths. :wink:

Any sound file can be loaded into a convolution reverb and used as an impulse - load a snare sample in and send another drum into it.

Yes, these things can be real fun - for example, take a short (one or two seconds) recording of some chords as IR...

On the other hand, there is space (no pun) for further experiments in order to get good "real" reverbs. Imagine how the reverb might sound if you stand in a room and clap your hands, and then try to synthesize this reverb tail with some synthesizer. I guess you will need filtered noise and an envelope with short attack and long decay, but really, listen to real rooms and try.

Just to round this discussion out, the UAD-1 has a Roland Space Echo plug-in that does a great job emulating the spring reverb section, distortion and all. Just added this one to my UAD collection and it's a blast! Savin up for the Helios eq now . . .

hey fader 8 I just saw on that link above (not the noise vault) that they have impulses of the UAD 1 spring reverbs. anyway you could compare those to the actual UAD card and let us know how accurate they seem to be. I am very curious about how close the IRs in space designer compare to real thing (although I am blown away by all the Lexicon and Kurzwell Irs I've heard so far) Never heard the real thing tho.

Dave

anyway you could compare those to the actual UAD card and let us know how accurate they seem to be. . .

snip

(although I am blown away by all the Lexicon and Kurzwell Irs I've heard so far) Never heard the real thing tho.

If I get a chance I'll do just that. I can probably compare the Kurzweils too since I have one of those.