Plug-in manager!

PBJ

OK, I figured out why this is happening. If you rename the folder, then click somewhere to exit the renaming, it keeps the renaming and you can add things to the renamed folder, BUT it doesn't sort and shows "untitled" etc, THAT IS BECAUSE, you need to hit ENTER after the renaming for it to sort and show right. (hit me with a big rubber hammer) still seems like a bit of a bug, but now it works! Thx for looking at it.

One question, can you add soft instruments to a custom folder the way you can add effects etc? So if I create a folder named Synths and put a piano in there will it show up under instruments or is this folder thing just for effects etc? I assume it would only show the corresponding type regardless of whether a folder had a mix of instruments and effects... like the AU list does?

i thought i had this all sorted out but...i cannot delete "1Synths" or change "Delay" to DDL (i get a new DDL folder, the plugins are there, but "Delay" still won't delete. same thing if i try to rename it. so 1Synths and Delay can't be deleted or renamed... anyone?

http://floydfisher.com/badfolder.png

EDIT: i've (for now) reworked my plugin folders to accomodate the problems, ie 1Synths, 2Drums, etc. works ok for now. and is there no way to re-order the plugins themselves within a folder?

That's It!!?? Just hit return?

I feel like either the stupidest person in the world or irritated that such an "un mac-like" approach made it this far. The reason I didn't hit return is...habit., after thousands nay ten of thousands of hours working in mac os.

Thank you for all the help--I may have licked the problems by deleted the pref and rebuilding the AUcache

That's It!!?? Just hit return?

I feel like either the stupidest person in the world or irritated that such an "un mac-like" approach made it this far. The reason I didn't hit return is...habit., after thousands nay ten of thousands of hours working in mac os.

Thank you for all the help--I may have licked the problems by deleted the pref and rebuilding the AUcache

which prefs, and did you delete the cache file from your user library cache?

Plugin Manager Works great: You just need to use the mighty, mighty return key after naming the folder instead of enter :D

Here's how:

1 Logic Pro X > Preferences > Plugin Manager

2 click on the + sign in the upper left menu and a new folder Untitled will be generated.

3 rename the folder and hit Return.

4 Create nested folders by creating a new folder adding a colon to an existing folder name e.g. For a folder named Synths create subfolders Synths:Subtractive , Synths:Modeling etc.

5 Once you have the folders created and labeled, then its easy just to drag and drop from the Show All or Manufacturer menus to populate the folders, or delete them as necessary. If you always can also put oft used plugins in the Top Level and they will be directly in the menu and not in a folder.

Pretty darn cool. 8)

Edited by Artzeal

SOOOO glad apple has made it possible to reorganize the way plugins appear. You can drag 3rd party plugs into apple's pre-existing folders. A great workflow improvement. I can stop using AUganizer, which always made me a little nervous. You can even make your own folders

But you can't rename them--last night I made three new folders, stocked them with plugins, and named them. Every time I tried it Logic defaulted the folder names back to "Untitled:" Untitled1, untitled2 etc.

There doesn't seem to be any documentation available about the plug-in manager, at least not yet. Any idea of a way around this?

AUganizer can do something that apple should have thought about: SUB folders. f.ex. Dynamics/ compessors and limiters. Much more "Logical"

AUganizer can do something that apple should have thought about: SUB folders. f.ex. Dynamics/ compessors and limiters. Much more "Logical"

You can do subfolders with the Plug-in Manager, see Artzeal's post before yours:

viewtopic.php?p=585870#p585870

A big advantage of Plug-in Manager's subfolders over Auganaizer's, is that you'll see the actual plug-in's name on the slot and not the name of the subfolder.

On the other hand, Auganizer let's you edit the plug-in's name and that doesn't seem possible with Plug-in Manager.

J.

Plugin Manager Works great: You just need to use the mighty, mighty return key after naming the folder instead of enter :D

Here's how:

1 Logic Pro X > Preferences > Plugin Manger

2 click on the + sign in the upper left menu and a new folder Untitled will be generated.

4 Create nested folders by creating a new folder adding a colon to an existing folder name e.g. For a folder named Synths create subfolders Synths:Subtractive , Synths:Modeling etc.

5 Once you have the folders created and labeled, then its easy just to drag and drop from the Show All or Manufacturer menus to populate the folders, or delete them as necessary. If you always can also put oft used plugins in the Top Level and they will be directly in the menu and not in a folder.

Pretty darn cool. 8)

This does't seem to work for me--I create a new folder, then a second folder with the same name plus a colon and the subname. I'm probably doing something really dumb or missing something really obvious?

This does't seem to work for me--I create a new folder, then a second folder with the same name plus a colon and the subname. I'm probably doing something really dumb or missing something really obvious?

What you put after the colon will be the subfolder. Add another colon and another name after that and you'll get yet another subfolder. Works great:

1232278289_ScreenShot2015-01-25at16_52_48.png.d76d1156c09676cfa401c30f7ac79c10.png

1363328307_ScreenShot2015-01-25at16_52_17.png.e12d9e6239e6613a7f2c6f7f5d465496.png

J.

Ok, the bug is that Logic gives you the illusion that you really renamed the folder, since it does NOT revert back to "Untitled" in the PlugIn Manager after you did _not_ hit RETURN, thus alerting you that you gotta do it right. So yeah, you have to hit RETURN or else it doesn't "stick", even though it appears to have "stuck" in every way, shape and form without hitting RETURN. This is un-Mac-like behaviour. For example, you don't need to hit RETURN when renaming tons of other stuff, including other stuff inside Logic like regions.

What you mention sounds right. What you put after the colon will be the subfolder. Add another colon and another name after that and you'll get yet another subfolder. Works great.

J.

Did that and it doesn't work for me, don't know why?

Also I renamed my "favorites" folder "1favorites" and it made a new folder and kept the old one, whch I now can't delete.

I'm reinstalling logic

So I quit logic, deleted the preferences file from my user library, and dragged Logic X to the trash.

Then I restarted in recovery mode, ran permissions repair, rebooted, and reinstalled Logic X

To my surprise, it opened up the last project I had running, and it opened with the new plugin organization I had set up, Clearly, I did not delete the right file. Does anyone know where Logic is storing the info about the plugin organization?

I still can't "nest" folders. I create a new folder, hit return, then a second folder with :test after the name, and all it does it put the second folder after the first--it doesn't put the new folder inside the first one, which is what I want it to do.

I really think I need to delete whatever fill is storing my Plugin manager settings

So I quit logic, deleted the preferences file from my user library, and dragged Logic X to the trash.

Then I restarted in recovery mode, ran permissions repair, rebooted, and reinstalled Logic X

To my surprise, it opened up the last project I had running, and it opened with the new plugin organization I had set up, Clearly, I did not delete the right file. Does anyone know where Logic is storing the info about the plugin organization?

I still can't "nest" folders. I create a new folder, hit return, then a second folder with :test after the name, and all it does it put the second folder after the first--it doesn't put the new folder inside the first one, which is what I want it to do.

I really think I need to delete whatever file is storing my Plugin manager settings

We told you where the problem was 2 days ago:

viewtopic.php?p=585583&sid=edea240f5d2ad5a34d62a1b0bf148916#p585583

J.

I can stop using AUganizer, which always made me a little nervous. You can even make your own folders

Personally I think this feature actually is very complimentary with Auganizer. With Auganizer you can bring order to large collections like UA, Waves, Nomad, etc. and see the icon interfaces for your collections. With Logics Plugin Manager you can create essentially Aliases for favorite plugins for quick access and organize them in innumerable ways.

It would be nice if Logic offered heirarchical folders. Auganizer does this but Im not a fan of how its implemented, but its nice to have the option.

If would be great if Apple used the Plugin Manager to actually manage custom icons for the plugins as this would be especially useful for software instruments. Essentially you could export the icons from Auganizer into Logics plugin manager and be able to see those on the Main window and Mixer. That is if they ever allow users to easily upload custom icons again....

It would be nice if Logic offered heirarchical folders. Auganizer does this but Im not a fan of how its implemented, but its nice to have the option.

Here's how:

1 Logic Pro X > Preferences > Plugin Manager

Pretty darn cool. 8)

Aaah, it's late... sounds awesome! I'll test it out.

Still would love to see some custom icon integration natively integrated back into logic. I thought the plugin manager would be a reasonable place for this. Maybe an icon manager. Maybe I'll email apple again.

What you put after the colon will be the subfolder. Add another colon and another name after that and you'll get yet another subfolder. Works great:

[attachment=1]Screen Shot 2015-01-25 at 16.52.48.png[/attachment]

[attachment=0]Screen Shot 2015-01-25 at 16.52.17.png[/attachment]

J.

Sometimes, one have to explain the steps taken:

AFTER making the "sub-folders" in the plugin-manager(first img.), THEN go to the mixer, click the plugin area to open your plugins, and THEN you will see the result....

We told you where the problem was 2 days ago:

viewtopic.php?p=585583&sid=edea240f5d2ad5a34d62a1b0bf148916#p585583

Hey Jordi, there's one custom Folder I created that I just can't seem to delete. I located the TagPool file and everything looks fine in terms of the Sharing and Permissions settings. I've reset the Preferences and CS files many times... I've even deleted the Logic app and reinstalled it and yet I still can't delete the custom folder. Any help?

Hi,

Hey Jordi, there's one custom Folder I created that I just can't seem to delete. I located the TagPool file and everything looks fine in terms of the Sharing and Permissions settings. I've reset the Preferences and CS files many times... I've even deleted the Logic app and reinstalled it and yet I still can't delete the custom folder. Any help?

None of the things you tried will affect the state of the custom folder you created, because all data pertaining to the Plug-in Manager is kept in the MusicApps.tagpool and ".tagset" files.

The MusicApps.tagpool file will contain all data that you see in the actual Plug-in Manager window, while the ".tagset" files determine the presence of each folder in the plug-in menu.

So, if for some reason you can't delete the folder directly from Plug-in Manager, you could do it manually from the MusicApps.tagpool file using TextEdit:

Quit Logic and locate the MusicApps.tagpool file and drag it onto the TextEdit icon in the Finder to open it.

Use the search function (Command-F ) to find the entry of the folder you want to delete. Here you see a folder I created named "TEST":

1055384000_ScreenShot2015-01-30at08_55_52.png.bfc143aefa696f7e8566dbed97a0de71.png

Select and delete the entry:

829710725_ScreenShot2015-01-30at08_57_08.png.362d182a59ffda4a279e62510104aad4.png

531399841_ScreenShot2015-01-30at08_58_51.png.fdd56154ce6e8e1019de8ba74e678bfd.png

Do Command-S to save.

If you open Logic and go into the Plug-in Manager, you'll see that the folder will be gone.

Now, if you have a plug-in inside that folder (more like a reference to that plug-in, not the actual plug-in), you'll have to get rid of the corresponding ".tagset" file to have the folder disappear from the actual plug-in menu.

It's relatively easy to find the appropriate file if you sort the contents of the Tags folder by the date they were modified. You can verify you have the correct file by opening it with TextEdit just like you did with the ".tagpool" file:

1354230223_ScreenShot2015-01-30at09_10_07.png.98d021a10b2f3183e7678f39b7212485.png

Once you've located the file, delete it.

If you reopen Logic, there should be no trace of the unwanted folder, neither in the Plug-in Manager window nor the plug-in menu.

J.

The MusicApps.tagpool file will contain all data that you see in the actual Plug-in Manager window, while the ".tagset" files determine the presence of each folder in the plug-in menu.

Thanks so much Jordi, will try this now.

EDIT: and it's GONE!! :D Thanks again!