Will Apple Release Logic 8 At Summer NAMM?

albertlopez

I think Logic 8 is overdue, and what better time to announce than at Summer NAMM.

If they don't release, I am sad to say I will be switching to Ableton Live/Pro Tools - I really need that audio wrapper and beat detector.

Come on Apple, get a move on, I am sure there are countless other people in the same position as me.

Maybe they'll show a preview at summer NAMM, but I'm convinced the next Logic GUI will use CoreAnimation, a Leopard-only feature. If this is true, it means Logic will have to wait until Leopard jumps out of its cage.

Just some speculation :

- July '07 : Logic 8 preview at summer NAMM

- October '07 : Leopard release

- January '08 : Logic 8 release at winter NAMM

I think Logic 8 is overdue, and what better time to announce than at Summer NAMM.

If they don't release, I am sad to say I will be switching to Ableton Live/Pro Tools - I really need that audio wrapper and beat detector.

Come on Apple, get a move on, I am sure there are countless other people in the same position as me.

if they're just now hiring engineers to write the manual i say no chance, but thats just my opinion. i myself am making the final decision this week but it looks like i'm jumping ship to nuendo as well, i've had it with apple over this. we're pro users opening a studio and we need to know that they're taking this product's flaws seriously, but what do we get? not even a please bear with us and we respect your needs comment from steve jobs.

but hey, i can book movies from dashboard now so life's all good right?!

It really doesn't make sense what Apple are doing. They released Soundtrack Pro 2, which looks like Logic 8 wihout the midi, but yet they still don't give us Logic 8.

It can't be that hard to revise a DAW can it, I mean Ableton Live and Sonar get revised every 9 months. Even Steinberg - one of the slowest companies in the world - just released Cubase 4 last year.

ITS BEEN THREE YEARS since the last major update, and it looks like it could be 4 years if they release it after Leopard.

if they're just now hiring engineers to write the manual i say no chance, but thats just my opinion. i myself am making the final decision this week but it looks like i'm jumping ship to nuendo as well, i've had it with apple over this. we're pro users opening a studio and we need to know that they're taking this product's flaws seriously, but what do we get? not even a please bear with us and we respect your needs comment from steve jobs.

If you want to feel the pain add a steinberg product to you Mac.

At cubase.net there are a lot of cubase4 owners with MacIntels who are running SX3, or cubase4 via Boot Camp to get the best performance, and a full featured app.

8)

If you want to feel the pain add a steinberg product to you Mac.

At cubase.net there are a lot of cubase4 owners with MacIntels who are running SX3, or cubase4 via Boot Camp to get the best performance, and a full featured app.

8)

agreed, thats why i'm going with a neko pc/keyboard, i've heard about all the cubase 4 horror stories

Now....

O.k..... Now, (damn)...

Now, .... no wait,

Now....(ah crap)

Unfortunately Logic8 is in the mix of a huge contextual release. Apple seems to be continuing with their historic savvy at integration.

Leopard, as a full blown 64 bit operating system opens the door to really high quality audio processing and plug-ins. With ZFS as its file system, system stability and maintenance as well as project management become a lot more elegant. (That is if I am interpreting correctly the comments of computer folks on other sites).

I am not going anywhere, but an announcement would make it a lot easier to plan.

In the mean time,

sigh.....

I think I speak for about 99.9% of us Logic users, but I get the feeling the one thing we all REALLY NEED, apart from a new Logic itself, is just NEWS!!!!

That's it!!! NEWS!!!

NEWS as into what exactly is going on and when should we see it... That's all. It's rather simple.

The problem with not knowing is it leaves everything up to guesswork - and our most worst FEAR....

What if Apple only bought Logic from Emagic only to CANNIBALISE it with apps like Garageband and Soundtrack Pro!!!!

Have I spent my $1500 backing a dead horse!!!!

All I want is NEWS. I need to know it still exists!!!

I get the feeling the one thing we all REALLY NEED, apart from a new Logic itself, is just NEWS!!!!

i would have to agree ... at the same time, it makes me feel like a little kid waiting for the "next big thing" ... hoping ... watching macrumors update their site with the keynote ... nothing, so to add something new to my routine i bought a digi003, i can't wait any longer and my adhd self needs something fresh, new toys are fun!

I think I speak for about 99.9% of us Logic users, but I get the feeling the one thing we all REALLY NEED, apart from a new Logic itself, is just NEWS!!!!

That's it!!! NEWS!!!

Oh, right, that was why... And this is one of very, very few occasions where I find bundles of three exclamation marks just adequate. :wink:

Jeez, am I the only one who is ushering successful completed projects and happy clients out my door using Logic 7?

Sure I look forward to the next great upgrade (if only to see the naysayers eat their words), Apple isn't going to drop Logic or dumb it down, trust me.

The only reason it's taking so long is Leopard.

Also, if the lack of a beat detector is all that's keeping somebody from switching DAWs, I'd say just do it.

This reminds me of when OSX came out and everybody was predicting the end of the "Mac feel," that Apple had ruined the Mac. Go read the iPod rumor posts on MacRumors from 2001 for some perspective.

I'd write more but I'm going back to work to complete another mix for one of my happy clients.

I'm impatient, as well, but figure the longer it takes the more computer I can get for the upgrade buck...

I'm with Nick. I'm producing great stuff, also have PT and Live! and Reason to work with. I don't need to spend the money right now...

But I'd find the money if it came out tomorrow.

I just heard someone rant about how the Emagic people are pigs because they dropped 100K Windows users in the Apple buy-out... that's why he hates Logic.

He then said they'll do it to Apple users, too.

I suppose that's possible. But 50 former emagic engineers working on the new Logic.. maybe new name, as I understand it... Doesn't make financial sense if that's what they plan. I would agree some news would be nice, though.

I can understand why someone making decisions would swing away from Apple on the subject.

The iphone is the only time I've ever seen a 6 month preview on an Apple product, though. That was only because they had to release the specs to the FCC so they'd figured it would leak. That was a first.

Normally only Microsoft does that. Nowhere but he auto industry do they display concept cars... oh.. there's Microsoft, I guess, but they tend to introduce concept software that changes significanty or disappears before its released. Have you seen the coffee table PC. Its hard enough to keep my coffee table clean without having Icons and photographs spread all over it.

Cute, but largely a novelty... not to mention vapor-ware.

Speaking of Vapor-ware, though? Logic, where are you?

If Digidesign get their midi in order, and release the next version of Pro Tools updated before Logic comes out, then Apple have no chance in catching up with Pro Tools.

Also remember that this summer we are going to see the release of some big heavy weights

1. Neundo 4

2. Cubase 4 Major Update

3. Sonar 7

4. Acid 7

5. Reason 4

And finally Ableton Live 7, which many people think could be the update which establishes Ableton Live as the DAW to beat.

.. i´m fighting (and i mean it) with about 4 big issues everyday when working with Logic, and i got used to the fact that they won´t get fixed. it´s a shame since years, and meanwhile i can only talk bad about what this huge company did with this app since they acquired it. but most of all it´s that damned secrecy - we pay and paid for all the guys working on Logic, we´re the ones they base their living on, and all we get is nothingness. what´s that?

i hate arrogance, wherever it comes from. and Apple is king in this discipline.

putte

I'm not talking about spending money right now... Hell, I seriously think I'm going to need a Mac upgrade first. I just want to know my $1500 AU wasn't wasted on something that is being cannibalised. That's what I'm stressing about. And the sooner I know one way or another, the sooner I can put a plan into effect.

Id wait another year, just as long as I know it IS coming, it's the uncertainty that is the killer for me. I actually don't NEED a new Logic right now, because I can do heaps with what I've got. I just want to know if it has a future at all!!

The other part of me submits to the fact that it might be waiting for Leopard, and in fact I was predicting that Logic would be a Leopard app. So this is how I try to console myself with the fear if it's future. And it becomes a real issue if I DO have to jump ship because apple dropped it, because there is no other app on the face of the planet that offers the same stuff as Logic. and that's the truth. So I don't WANT Apple to drop Logic, because presently, there is no other solution on the market that works for me.

I believe that apple are working on a great new app, that will have the logic user group feel right at home from the beginning! + it will have lots of new great features that know one even knew they needed! :-)

My qualified guess is that the name of this app will be "Overture" and will have "clip based" plugin processing (with full undo). Further more it will make good use of some Leopard specific features (the mixer slider reflects on the mixing "board) for instance. One cool thing is that you can have your plugin windows (or any windows) in a "stack" (leopard feature). Right click on a channel and you'll see several options, like opening up the new channel strip . This strip has a great tape saturation/tube compression option and a really sweet compressor/eq with an analog style/digital style setting. Every channel has a little indicator showing if the channel is set to analog or digital style.

Channel grouping now works more like in Pro tools. Oh, and Overture has a function for delaying a track in samples. That could be a good thing.

New plugins: Complete overhaul of most plugins + a few new ones. Vintage style compressors and eq (seems to be what the people want).

If Digidesign get their midi in order, and release the next version of Pro Tools updated before Logic comes out, then Apple have no chance in catching up with Pro Tools.

Pro tools is few years behind Logic.

It requires a very large investment in hardware to reach full potential.

Logics integration is years ahead, as is the feature set and user interface.

I use both in a professional capacity.

5 years ago you might have been right.

Once the 64bit performance of Leopard hits, ProTools will never catch Logic.

I don't want to sound like a rude Aussie or anything Manny, but how in hell would you know stuff like that!!!

Are these educated guesses or do you know someone who knows someone who knows someone...

Id like to believe you, but we need some kind of credibility here.

I hope to God you are right though.

I'm not really concerned about what they call it, but I'm guessing Soundtrack Extreme is not one of them as is ProTools Killer ...LOL

I don't want to sound like a rude Aussie or anything Manny, but how in hell would you know stuff like that!!!

Are these educated guesses or do you know someone who knows someone who knows someone...

Id like to believe you, but we need some kind of credibility here.

I hope to God you are right though.

I'm not really concerned about what they call it, but I'm guessing Soundtrack Extreme is not one of them as is ProTools Killer ...LOL

Note that the first couple of words are "I believe" :wink:

Don't encourage the guy that posted all those predictions about Logic, he's obviously talking about what feature he wants in Logic; as opposed to what feature are going to be in Logic 8.

For all we know there may not be another version of Logic, or it may just be Logic 7.2 with extra loops.

The truth is no one knows apart from the people working on Logic 8 - that means only 3 people in the world know whats in Logic 8. (I'm assuming there must be not more than 5 people working on Logic 8, compared with 100 people working on Garageband 4) :)

hello,

so, fast forward to sometime in the near future and logic 8 is released.

now everyone will really have something to talk/complain about.

(fill in what apple didn't put in or got wrong here...........)

THEN, there'll another 2.5-3 wait for Logic 9.

....and the cycle of speculation begins again.

just remember, EVERY time a poster talks about this, it's free advertising for apple.

so, if you don't like apple, don't give 'em free publicity.

and "one more thing".......emagic were just as bad, but different: they constantly updated on any lame excuse and in the end this is nothing but cheap publicity, as they still went broke.

Has anyone really thought about the REASON WHY emagic sold out?

find out that and a lot of what (not) happening now would make more sense.

Guys, don't get sucked in. apple's "schtick" IS the LACK of information.

best, david r.