Wierd Performance Issues With Space Designer

semtek

I'm currently finding that I can max out my processor (2ghz intel core duo mk1) with as few as 2 instances of space designer. One has an IR of 1second loaded, the other has an IR of 3 seconds. I realise these are long, but does this make sense? It seems odd to me.

Let me know if anyone else has noticed this (osx 10.4.9 latest update installed),

Thanks, S

Update:

1. Changing the drivers to internal audio doesn't seem to make any difference.

2. If I open a new song I can insert at least 14 space designers with long IRs without any performance trouble.

3. In the 'problem' songs I find that I can bypass all plug ins apart from the SDs but they still max out, even when there's no audio playing through them on some occasions (!)

4. The songs where I have been observing this behaviour tend to include multi channel instruments (exs 24 and ultrabeat) which are re-routed to aux tracks. When I tried this in the test track it suddenly caused a spike. I was adding space designer instances, but as soon as I did some multichannel routing it completely maxed out. This might be the culprit.

5. It's not a ram issue, I have 2gb

6. It doesn't appear to make any difference when I change the length of the IR.

7. Sytem performance shows a spike on one core, but next to nothing on the other, so it apperas that only one core is being addressed when this happens.

Really strange, but also annoying as I have to finish these tracks and at the moment this is causing all sorts of trouble...