Weird issue with the Q button.

aguyfromsomewhere

Which version of Logic are you using?

Personally I assigned my pointer tool to Esc, so whenever I press it, the tool selection menu pops up and hitting Esc again select back the pointer tool as the default tool...

That was the default pointer tool key assignment setting in previous versions; and I always found nonsensical to have changed it since recent version.

Anyhow, Logic allowing user's key command assignment is great.

In your case perhaps there is some conflict in your key shortcut assignments.

• 2 weeks later...
I set my q button to be the pointer tool.

I suspect that you set your Q key to the "Show Tool Menu" command which (to me) appears to be the only way that you can get Q mapped to the "pointer tool".

If I hold the q button, it switches from the pointer to the last tool i had. So for instance if i had the eraser tool, and switch to the pointer tool. and i hold the q button, it goes back to the eraser tool...

If you invoke the "Show Tool Menu" command by pressing Q you should see (in theory) the list of tools pop up, allowing you to choose another tool. If you hold down the Q key for long enough the menu pop-up disappears and you still have whichever tool had been selected previously.

Everywhere that I have seen a description of switching tools from the keyboard goes like "press T to bring up the tool menu and press T again to switch back to the pointer tool". My testing with Q mapped to "Show Tool Menu" works just like the described behavior when using the T key.

Tool switching from the keyboard is a 2 character sequence - "Show Tool Menu", "Select Tool"

The relevant section in the "manual" is at https://help.apple.com/logicpro/mac/10.4.7/#/lgcp9b92f74c

How you read the section might lead you to a different expectation. The behavior of Logic is such that you need to

"Open the Tool Menu" AND "Choose a tool"

As far as I can see there is no way to create a command in Logic that will switch tools with a single keypress.

And I look further...given the fact that Q is a heavily used key...

If you set "Set Pointer Tool" to Q (and replace all of the conflicting commands) and use the same "Set xxx Tool" to assign tools (to the left tool menu) then you should be able to "switch" tools by using the "Set xxx Tool" commands - just don't mess with the T command that opens the Tool menu, and still has default keys assigned.

I have taken the path of using Karabiner-Elements to map my caps-lock key to be "shift control option command" so I can define key commands with everything pressed - I can map caps-Q caps-W etc. to serve as sort of a meta key...

I also use "Touché" from Red Sweater Software to give me a Touch Bar that I can use for commands - handy devil - https://red-sweater.com/touche/ - makes me want a Touch Bar on my keyboard ;-)

I set my q button to be the pointer tool.

I suspect that you set your Q key to the "Show Tool Menu" command which (to me) appears to be the only way that you can get Q mapped to the "pointer tool".

If I hold the q button, it switches from the pointer to the last tool i had. So for instance if i had the eraser tool, and switch to the pointer tool. and i hold the q button, it goes back to the eraser tool...

If you invoke the "Show Tool Menu" command by pressing Q you should see (in theory) the list of tools pop up, allowing you to choose another tool. If you hold down the Q key for long enough the menu pop-up disappears and you still have whichever tool had been selected previously.

Everywhere that I have seen a description of switching tools from the keyboard goes like "press T to bring up the tool menu and press T again to switch back to the pointer tool". My testing with Q mapped to "Show Tool Menu" works just like the described behavior when using the T key.

Tool switching from the keyboard is a 2 character sequence - "Show Tool Menu", "Select Tool"

The relevant section in the "manual" is at https://help.apple.com/logicpro/mac/10.4.7/#/lgcp9b92f74c

How you read the section might lead you to a different expectation. The behavior of Logic is such that you need to

"Open the Tool Menu" AND "Choose a tool"

As far as I can see there is no way to create a command in Logic that will switch tools with a single keypress.

Nothing but an asterik in the "show tool" menu keycommand...no keys assigned

963859171_ScreenShot2019-11-13at5_44_19PM.thumb.png.2671e772cb32a3aaaef570d45c04cd51.png

I was finally able to reproduce this (interesting) behavior: if you just press the key then the key command acts as expected and sets your left-click tool to Pointer, or keeps it set to Pointer if it was already set to Pointer. On the other hand if you hold down the key for a while, then when you let go of the key, the left-click tool returns to whatever it was set to previously.

Well I guess that's an easter egg? Like a hidden feature? I can see how this could be very useful. Thanks a lot for "pointing" that out. :mrgreen:

Q is only assigned to pointer, W pencil, E eraser, R razor, T mute, Y glue. QWERTY :) . I kept it simple and in one space.

Oh yeah right I'm sorry I must have had a brain fart on that one. So then yes like I said, I was able to reproduce the behavior. Maybe it's an easter egg? Hidden feature? In any case I like it, because now that means two things:

1) If I switched from a tool to the Pointer tool using Q, I can go back to my previous tool using the same key command.

2) If I am using another tool and want to quickly use the Pointer tool for something, I can just hold down Q to temporarily use the Pointer tool, and release Q to go back to the other tool.

Cool!

Honestly though I've developed a workflow where I very rarely switch tools. I can everything and anything I want using the default combination of Pointer/Marquee tools.

Erase? => Pointer + Delete key.

Text? => Shift-N.

Scissors? => Double-click Marquee or Marquee + Delete.

Glue? => Command-J.

Solo? => Control-S + Option-Spacebar.

Mute? => Control-M.

Zoom? => Control-Option-drag.

Fade? => Control-Shift-drag.

• 3 years later...