General Audio Storage Problems

likwidayshun

I've been producing/writing for 30 years. I updated my equipment a couple of years ago and have got into some bad habits. I think the jump from Logic 7 to 10 confused me. I'd always set audio record paths and kept things tidy in folders. This new set up didn't seem to offer the same options. Instead of saving things within the audio settings they suggested I made folders on the desk top. I now have no idea where audio is stored and a couple of projects wont load. I'm not particularly tech savvy and used to rely on people around the studio to help. Not in studio anymore.

Do you mean within a particular song that hasn't loaded up properly or generally.

The projects that load with files missing.

not recognised, 8 bit not compatible

This can be from external HDs that are formatted in Windows formats like Fat32, ExFat and NTFS. Logic doesn't like those. Only Mac OSX Extended and APFS.

I use them but have only used them on this new computer as back up. I have never used them to exclusively store projects. It's yet more I don't understand. They seem to back up everything automatically whereas in the past I would copy specific folders on to the older ones. I seem to remember always having to format for mac before being able to use.

It's yet more I don't understand.

I recommend you don't try to understand just yet. Troubleshooting is basically a two step process:

1. Gather information.

2. Come to a conclusion.

In your case we're still at the #1 stage and you can't jump to the #2 stage this early.

Now select each external drive you have connected to your Mac and check is current format using Disk Utility, tell us how each one of them is formatted?

Is this formatting still relevant now we've discovered how full my disc is? In the other Crashing thread Triplet said

"Get yourself an external usb 3.0 SSD and do a Save As with Include Audio Files of every project you have. Should streamline a bunch."

I do have a Lacie and a Seagate both a Tb each. I've been plugging the Lacie in and it seems to automatically back up the whole computer.

Should I do a specific music audio back up and how would I?

They all appear to be "Master Boot Record"

Then look no further, that is the issue that creates 8 bit audio files. You need all disks used by your Logic Mac to always be in MacOS Externded or APFS, always.

Here's a detailed account of this issue and how to repair affected files: https://www.davehofmann.de/when-logic-destroys-your-audio-files/

OK. I'm methodically going through the Dave Hoffman page. I see there are other people struggling with the complexity like me.

Maybe it's time to ask for help to someone willing to do some consulting work for you? I personally don't have any availability right now but you could ask Christian: memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=33592