Slip editing with click & drag

Gatewatcher

How to move the waveform within the region with click & drag instead of nudge value with keyboard shortcuts or the project audio browser? I have read somewhere to hold down the command key and click dragging it. However, every time when I hold down the command key, it activates the secondary tool (in my case is the scissors tool). Thank you in advance.

Click and then hold the command key down. The wave file will move smoothly then. If you hold the command key down first a window of options will pop up.

That doesn't work here... :(

That doesn’t work because I’m an idiot.

I meant to say Click on the wave form then press and hold CONTROL.

Without releasing either mouse or control until you’ve moved the wave

Sorry for the confusion.

That doesn't work here... :(

That doesn’t work because I’m an idiot.

I meant to say Click on the wave form then press and hold CONTROL.

Without releasing either mouse or control until you’ve moved the wave

Sorry for the confusion.

As I mentioned in my original post, as soon as I hold down the command key, it activates the secondary tool (in my case is the scissors).

I am a newbie when it comes to Logic Pro X.

How do you disable the command key used to activate the secondary tool function?

How to move the waveform within the region with click & drag instead of nudge

Did you want to move the waveform freely without it snapping to the grid?

If so, Mouse click and hold, then hold CONTROL down and drag your wave form. This will let you drag without snapping to the grid.

This is what I want to do: I want to move the waveform freely within it's region. I did the following demo in Studio One.

I understand that you stated to hold down the command key, then click and drag it. However, each time when I hold down the command key,

my pointer tool turns into scissors tool (it activates the secondary tool). There is no way that I can just click & drag the waveform.

It splits the waveform instead, because my pointer tool has changed into the scissors tool (by holding down the command key).

I hope I have made myself understood this time. Thank you.

Edited by Gatewatcher

I think you read my post wrong. First, Mouse click and hold without letting go of the mouse.

Then hold down the control button and don’t let go.

Without letting go of either the mouse or the control button, move the waveform with the mouse and it will move freely.

I think you read my post wrong. First, Mouse click and hold without letting go of the mouse.

Then hold down the control button and don’t let go.

Without letting go of either the mouse or the control button, move the waveform with the mouse and it will move freely.

No, I don't think I have read your post wrong. I did what you said (by holding down control and then click & drag), see the linked video, it's not what I want. It moves the split clip freely, not the waveform within it's region freely like how it was in my above video.

Are you holding down the mouse button, and then the control button?

Or are you holding down the control button, and then the mouse button?

The order in which you do these two things changes the outcome.

If you are clicking the mouse first, then pushing the control button, and you’re not getting what you want then clearly I’m not sure of what you want

Let me say this: let's say the waveform is the content, the region is the box. I want to move the content freely without moving the box. What you told me to do is to move the box together with its content freely. Edited by Gatewatcher

No worries.

Anytime I'm on this forum I learn something new.

I now know what slip editing is and that I don't have that option in Logic.

We are all learning new things/tricks everyday. I appreciate this forum which provides a platform for us to learn together.

Correct, it doesn't work for me either.

In a previous post here I owned up to making a mistake.

Press control, not command

That doesn't work either...

I tried different key combinations (shift, control, option, command) to no avail.

However, that led me to discover some kind of new (to me?) tool. Which appears when [Command]+[Option] are pressed together.

The mouse pointer turn then into a smaller pointer arrow without its tail, accompanied by a small cross to its bottom right (that little cross looks like the Marquee tool but in smaller size).

I tested the slip function via the nudge key command (in my case using the [shift]+[Control]+[right/left arrow], and that works just fine. I also tested with the Snap turned to off, just in case. I must be missing something somewhere...