How to copy and paste automations from one egion to multiple regions

trumperl

Hi:

I couldn't find how to copy an automation pattern in the first region of a track and paste the same pattern to the other regions of the same track. I am not talkinf of paste the same region , only copy the automation pattern to the others. I use Logic Pro X to do professional voice overs. I have a noise gate setup. But I need an automation at the beginning of each region changing the threshold of the noise gate plug-in.Is any way to do it? My tracks are long , I use the remove silence effect, so my track end with multiple regions.

The reason to do this is that at the beginning of some words some letters sound muted forcing me to change the threshold. I didn't find a way to cancel the noise gate effect for a particular region only the complete track.

Thanks

Luis

OSX Monterrey (12.0.1)

Logic Pro X 10.7.0

yea i was trying to do this yesterday and had to just use the workaround where i copied the region with the automation to an empty space on the track, then just shift the automation to the desired area. not the best workflow, especially since i don't know of a way to copy and paste strictly track automation from one track to another.

Perhaps it has to do with the region fade ins?

Does the automation is track-based or region-based?

BYW, if you'd find it more convenient, you could glue back the regions into a single one...

No, I don't use fade ins. I need to repeat the same automation in all the regions. Glue back the regions into a single one is not an option for what i need to do.

Thanks!

1. In Automation view, click the Trim field to select the visible automation on the track.

2. Press Command-C to copy.

3. Select the destination track.

4. Position the playhead.

5. Press Command-V to paste.

copy-automation.gif

Interesting. But how to repeat this multiple times. ? I end up with hundreds of regions. Paste them one after each other would be a "painful process"

Thanks!

I can't think of a faster way.

However I think you're probably going about this the wrong way, trying to fix a problem that you shouldn't be creating in the first place. If the first consonant of your words sound muted because of the noise gate, then either don't use the noise gate, or dial it in better. Can you share an example of a screenshot of your edited track? What is the noise gate doing exactly, if you've already stripped silence?

I can't think of a faster way.

However I think you're probably going about this the wrong way, trying to fix a problem that you shouldn't be creating in the first place. If the first consonant of your words sound muted because of the noise gate, then either don't use the noise gate, or dial it in better. Can you share an example of a screenshot of your edited track? What is the noise gate doing exactly, if you've already stripped silence?

Because remove silence is not enough to render a clean audio, breaths, room noise, when I 'am speaking. To be honest this only happens with some letters, like f or j. Another solution would be to remove the plug in noise gate in some regions witouth affecting the rest of the track but I ddidn't find how to do it either

1656757942_ScreenShot2021-11-08at4_29_59PM.thumb.png.61a636b2e84507fbf5fa19a522ffc474.png

What if you create a track stack with all of the tracks in it, then put the noise gate on that so you only have to do the automation once and it controls all of them?

Because I need the automation at the beginning of each region of a single track after i remove silence. I end up with hundreds of regions each one with differentes paragraphs..

Do you actually see the noise gate kick in within any of the regions? Not talking about the beginning of the region, but in the middle?

Another solution would be to remove the plug in noise gate in some regions witouth affecting the rest of the track but I ddidn't find how to do it either

The way I would do it is to duplicate the track, remove the noise gate on the new track, and move the regions I don't want affected to that new track.

I still think that's not the best way to deal with this issue but it's hard to tell what you're doing or experiencing, not being in front of the session. Are you sure the issue isn't with the De-esser rather than the noise gate? De-esser typically cause issues with F and J sounds... try to bypass the de-esser for a second and make sure that's not the culprit here?

I still think that's not the best way to deal with this issue but it's hard to tell what you're doing or experiencing, not being in front of the session. Are you sure the issue isn't with the De-esser rather than the noise gate? De-esser typically cause issues with F and J sounds... try to bypass the de-esser for a second and make sure that's not the culprit here?

No, it's the noise gate unfortunately.

"The way I would do it is to duplicate the track, remove the noise gate on the new track, and move the regions I don't want affected to that new track."

Yes I use the same workaround.. but surprise me that the developers have not thought of a simple solution such as allowing a region to independently handle plug-ins. Yes you can process them individually but no supress what affects all the track. The same about copy and paste automations , it seems easy,

Thanks for your help David!

1. In Automation view, click the Trim field to select the visible automation on the track.

2. Press Command-C to copy.

3. Select the destination track.

4. Position the playhead.

5. Press Command-V to paste.

copy-automation.gif

that's great! i didn't know that. but, why doesn't the "trim" tool appear on every track? on my "serum saw", there is no trim tool to perform this action

1547425882_ScreenShot2021-11-08at7_28_56PM.thumb.png.8d034f4d0facabcc289e0414c585dea1.png

that's great! i didn't know that. but, why doesn't the "trim" tool appear on every track? on my "serum saw", there is no trim tool to perform this action

The Trim field is primarily intended to trim the automation curve which means to adjust the overall level of the entire curve. For example if you have your volume go from 0 to +3 you can use the trim field to raise the curve from +1 to +4. That is why the Trim field doesn't behave the same on toggle states such as on/off, mute, solo buttons automation. In those cases, you can hold down Option while you click the first point on the automation curve to select the automation curve.

The Trim field is primarily intended to trim the automation curve which means to adjust the overall level of the entire curve. For example if you have your volume go from 0 to +3 you can use the trim field to raise the curve from +1 to +4. That is why the Trim field doesn't behave the same on toggle states such as on/off, mute, solo buttons automation. In those cases, you can hold down Option while you click the first point on the automation curve to select the automation curve.

you're the best, Dave.