Logic over LAN

Rockdude9k

Hey everyone, long time. So I was wondering if its possible to run Logic on one computer (lets call it "A") and pipe the audio over LAN to a second computer (computer "B") running a different sequencer? Its for a client that doesn't use logic anymore on his main sequencer but still has a bunch of EXS channel strips on his older computer. The idea is the run Logic as a sample host, pipe midi over LAN to it which triggers the instrument and the audio output goes over LAN and back into the main sequencer on computer "B".

Any ideas? Yes, we could do it over ADAT or MADI with two audio interfaces but the client would prefer to do it without buying anymore hardware interfaces.

Thanks in advance!

Hmm. When you say device, I'm not sure what you mean. Maybe if I explain a bit more that will help. I want to take a Mac Mini, run Logic on it. Then connect a Ethernet cable from it to a Mac Pro and pipe the audio from Logic to the Mac Pro over the ethernet cable. Has anyone been able to do this?

Thanks.

Hi Carlos, yes thats an option but unfortunately a low quality one. The reason we don't want to buy a new audio interface isn't because of money its because we are trying to get rid of aggregate devices. Which is with their setup the only way to incorporate a new interface. This solution needs to be 110% professional, stable and with pristine audio. Thanks for the idea though.

Hi David,

I think I found a solution. Check out...

http://www.kvraudio.com/product/wormhole_by_plasq

If you download it, and read the included manual it sounds pretty sweet. I'm gonna test it out on my home rig before installing on the clients. Have you ever used this before?

The only real question is how many tracks and how stable it is. Also audio quality, can't have any compression going on within the data packets.

Actually I've used Jack before and it give me the shutters. Totally buggy and not pro. But that was a long time ago. I'll check out the other options. Hopefully wormhole does the trick. Unfortunately VEP doesn't do this. It comes really close but can only route back to the host computer.

Hey ski, long time. Yes ideally it has to be done over a network. And the distance is minimal 3 feet, the computers are right next to each other in a rack.

Definitely been a while!

Thinking that the easiest route for MIDI would be... MIDI! If there's a MIDI interface on both computers, you could simply string an in/out connection between them. And if you had multiple free ports on the interfaces, Logic could be easily set up to act as a multi-timbral slave with separate banks of 16 channels each. Maybe not as high-tech as mLAN, but perhaps with fewer headaches.

Audio... again, I'm thinking about running cables, whether they be optical or straight-up audio cables from outputs of the Logic computer's interface to free optical or straight-up audio inputs on the main computer's interface. And if you were to use direct monitoring on the main computer's interface you wouldn't induce any buffer latency into the equation.

MIDI over LAN is easy and reliable, I would certainly recommend it over using MIDI interfaces.

Cool. Which one do you recommend? :D

I've used MOLcp successfully. I believe you can also do it from Audio MIDI Setup with the "Network" device - I think I tried it once but didn't find it very practical.

Having an MH box, can't it be done via the Mio Console?

No. MIO Console is just the software controlling your MH box, that's it.

Hey everyone, long time. So I was wondering if its possible to run Logic on one computer (lets call it "A") and pipe the audio over LAN to a second computer (computer "B") running a different sequencer? Its for a client that doesn't use logic anymore on his main sequencer but still has a bunch of EXS channel strips on his older computer. The idea is the run Logic as a sample host, pipe midi over LAN to it which triggers the instrument and the audio output goes over LAN and back into the main sequencer on computer "B".

Any ideas? Yes, we could do it over ADAT or MADI with two audio interfaces but the client would prefer to do it without buying anymore hardware interfaces.

Thanks in advance!

Unless Wormhole's site has outdated info - it looks like the code is Universal binary. Wouldn't that be a problem with your OS X 10.7?

Hey guys, thanks for all the input. In a normal world I would definitely agree with you that getting a MADI box or an ADAT rig is the way to go. However in our situation we are currently doing this and thus we have to use an aggregate device which is causing problems. The other thing is we run the whole studio off of VEP which is midi and audio over LAN. So there has to be a way to do this.

Here is an article I just found that mentions wormhole. I still haven't had a chance to try it out yet but it seems promising.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar07/articles/dpworkshop_0307.htm

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr07/articles/dpworkshop_0407.htm

Posting on my iPhone so excuse grammar please. Looking for to figuring this out.

Thanks again.