logic with novation x-station [SOLVED]

jazzisfaction

hey there,

i have logic 9.1.8

mountain lion 10.8.2

and a novation x-station

i installed all the latest drivers from novation - which is 2.5b2 and for auto map 4.5

whenever i open logic i don't get any sound and i even can't use the normal buttons anymore.

i de-install my novation drivers. i re-install them. live ableton works perfectly with the novation x-station.

i open logic: the same problem and after that live ableton also doesn't work properly anymore.

i de-install my novation drivers. i re-install them. live ableton works perfectly with the novation x-station.

i open logic: the same problem and after that live ableton also doesn't work properly anymore....and so on and so on...

please help...i'm a composer and logic is my main program me. i can't buy a new interface just for that....

anyone out there with some advice?

thanx so much

Peer

The problem you have, is that X-Station is now discontinued and from what i gather, Novation doesn't intend to write new drivers for it and Mountain Lion. The X station is also not on their current Mountain Lion Compatibility list. The beta Audio drivers you have installed, (2.5b2) are for Lion and not Mountain Lion and so they are reported as having some issues still.

You can either roll back to Lion and hope those beta drivers work okay (Remember they are still beta drivers even for Lion...) or you can purchase a new audio interface and use the X-Station purely for midi out...

Btw.. you didn't say what happens if you do not run Ableton at all? Do the drivers fail as soon as you use Logic if you haven't run Ableton prior to doing so?

Sorry if this all sounds very disheartening but my own experiences with Novation gear have been pretty negative as far as the result of having to wait for them to release new drivers to work properly with OS and Logic updates.. to the point that i gave up on them. It taught me the lesson of never updating either OS or Logic until I knew for sure everything else I have.. works fine with both updates and then and only then would I upgrade my main work computer. That and the fact i now always clone my system drive every time I do a major update of OS X and/or Logic so if it all falls apart, i can quickly revert back to a prior working version of everything with the minimal of hassle.

When you say that you deinstalled the Novation drivers, did you also go in the Control Surface Setup window to delete the Novation control surface icon in there? Did you reboot your computer afterward, before resintalling the Novation drivers? Did you carefully followed the instructions during the resintallation process of the Novation drivers? Once the Novation drivers reinstalled, did you first boot Logic in 32bit mode?

Providing that your X-Station is Automap compliant, the following procedure could be of some help.

Here is a post of the procedure to install Novation/Automap with Logic:

1- Make sure that you have installed Automap as the first controller, regardless if this is initial installation or an update of Automap.

To ensure this:

-Uninstall the Automap from your computer.

-Unplug your Novation keyboard and all the other MIDI devices or controllers from your computer.

-Reboot your computer.

-Go in Logic and delete all MIDI controllers from the MIDI Controller Setup Window.

-Quit Logic.

-Put Logic in 32bit mode.

-Install the latest Automap version as directed.

-Make sure you choose the right Novation product during the Automap installation.

-Make sure everything goes flawlessly; ifnot, restart the process of uninstallation / reinstallation described so far.

-Once the above steps completed, if Automap advises to update the firmware of your Novation keyboard: proceed with same as directed.

-If you had to do the firmware update (mentionned in previous step), you will have to redo (yes again!) the process of uninstallation / reinstallation described so far. (Tedious, I know, but necessary as I went through the process myself several times with the SLMkII and it is the only way I managed to have Logic respond properly).

-Reboot your computer.

-Restart Logic in 32bit mode (as it should have been during the whole process described so far).

Normally your installation should yeld into a set of Automap AU plugins that should be visible as distinct plugins into the various list of plugins available in Logic. Your Novation keyboard will control the Automap version of the plugins, hence these are the one you need to instantiate in Logic and will then be playable via Novation keyboard/Automap. The other (regular/ non-Automap version) plugins should be controllable via a regular CC MIDI controller (or Novation keyboard in regular MIDI - non-Automap mode).

2- Once all of the above is successfully completed and tested, restart Logic in 64bit mode.

Normally from here, if everything is still working well in 64bit mode, you can re-connect / reinstall your other MIDI control surface(s) / controller(s) / gear(s), if any...

➡ I strongly recommend that you do the re-connection / re-installation of your other devices in Logic 32bit mode and then switch it to 64bit mode. That 32bit / 64bit mode installation sequence is mandatory when installing plugins (as you probably already know...).

➡ Save the above mentionned procedure, you will definitely need it at the next Automap / Novation keyboard firmware / control surface installation / Logic change / etc... update!

Hopes that is of some help...

i talked to a nice guy at novation and he told me the the beta versions are for mountain lion and also it is explicitly written on the installer side that they are for mountain lion.

i tried everything again. the same problems.

i think i have to dump my novation x-station which is very bad - and very expensive - news.

thanx anyway.

cheers

@ atlas007...i tried all that. i even tried it without automap cause i'm not a big friend of that programme and had some former issues.

but also here: without success....

thanx for all your help....

i don't know if i should be more angry with apple which throws out a s#!+ lion and then correct the mistake only a few weeks after with launching mountain lion. how can they expect that the companies can follow so fast with their drivers !? better wait next time till u throw a s#!+ like lion on the market !

i think apple goes completely in the wrong direction.

and if u call the logic helpline: 99euros per advice !!

these f*****

i think my next one will be a PC again anyway....but that's another story...

thanx for everything anyway

cheers

Peer

i kept on writing the guy from novation and he kept on trying to help me and finally they released a new driver yesterday and u know what? IT WORKS !!!!

so my x-station is back in business with Logic 9.1.8.and Mountain Lion...juhuuuuuuu

there could be problems with the sample-rate because with this driver the sample-rate is automatically set to 48000. so make sure that your sequencer programme runs the same sample-rate or change the sample-rate of the x-station in your audio-midi preferences of mountain lion....enjoy and have fun :-)

check it out here:

We have just released the Novation USB Audio Driver 2.5b3 on our beta site:

http://beta.novationmusic.com