MainStage 3 Now Available

And here is the answer: Mainstage is still not able to handle SysEx-Data. So... no track names... no vu meter, etc.

Whats wrong with these guys....

MainStage is a stage tool and the Mackie protocol is not that common for devices on stage.

Has anyone upgraded to MS 3? Would the existing concert be automatically moved to MS3 or do I have to do anytning else? I cant see much of anything that could benefit me on MS3, so i might just use my existing setup.

MS3 doesn't remove an existing MS2 installation.

The main changes - besides the new UI - are the new plugins, including all the MIDI plugins. You also get the new patch content with SmartControls, which allows you to have different layouts on a per-patch base, e.g. an organ look in one patch and a synth look in another one. And this can even be fully automatic for the factory patches. They also tweaked the performance and improved stability, especially if you are using big 3rd party AUs.

So, if I just buy the upgraade, i would get a totally separate software? Do i then simply import my concert from MS2?

Correct Natasha. You buy separate software. So MS2 and MS3 are both on your Mac. It is not an update but separate software.

However, once created and/or imported to MS3 you can't open it anymore with MS2. So it's not backward compatible! Something to keep in mind when you want to run MS2 as a backup during a gig.

thanks guys. Is there a list of the new patches i can see anywhere? Am I right to understand that I would NOT need to buy Logic Pro X AS WELL? Once I buy the MS3 upgrade, do i simply "import" my MS2 concert into MS3? I'm just a little reluctant to upgrade after all the trouble I had from MS1 to MS2 ...

thanks guys. Is there a list of the new patches i can see anywhere?.

What exactly do you want to see? It is overall pretty much the same. What setup would you like to see, maybe I can post a screenshot. The standard Keyboard setup??

Am I right to understand that I would NOT need to buy Logic Pro X AS WELL?

Logic X and MS3 are two seperate pieces of software. So you can buy MS3 standalone. You can download the full additional content of almost 32gb.

Once I buy the MS3 upgrade, do i simply "import" my MS2 concert into MS3? I'm just a little reluctant to upgrade after all the trouble I had from MS1 to MS2 ...

Just open an MS2 patch in MS3 and that's all. All your setups are located under "my concerts". Even your MS2 setups show up there in MS3.

Please note that once you have saved an imported patch from MS2 into MS3 you can't use it in MS2 anymore. So make a duplicate or a new version (eg "V2" added to the filename).

EDIT:

Just a little addition. When opening my MS2 patch in MS3 I had some minor problems with my Omnisphere plugin. It made my MS3 crash. I deleted all Omnisphere sounds in that patch and programmed those again. Now, so far, the crash didn't occur anymore.

Thank u. Yes, please can i see a screenshot. Ok, so i will save all my patches in a separate folder amd rename them and then export to MS3, incase things dont work out. I wish my stupid boyfriend could help me !!! Arghhhhh ...

Haha! As long as you keep your MS2 patches on a safe place, nothing can go wrong!!

I've added 2 screenshots as the list of patches didn't fit in one screenshot.

1285868997_Schermafbeelding2013-07-20om00_30_24.thumb.png.79769a6f778d08ffd90924b67d450a15.png

53013474_Schermafbeelding2013-07-20om00_30_41.thumb.png.b07c50f765c3ddde80a945abf068f673.png

I've been waiting for this update and of course I thought there would be more midi stuff included, since it was really the only thing missing.

I would like to change a vocal delay or sound within a song.

Working with a lot of audio tracks and loops behind a band and it would be great to add different vocal sounds for different songs or maybe add a delay at a specific point in a song. I guess it's only possible with midi and then added as a program change or whatever in one of the tracks.

Or is there another way to make this? Since they don't have that, there might be another way in their eyes?

• 2 weeks later...
I've been waiting for this update and of course I thought there would be more midi stuff included, since it was really the only thing missing.

I would like to change a vocal delay or sound within a song.

Working with a lot of audio tracks and loops behind a band and it would be great to add different vocal sounds for different songs or maybe add a delay at a specific point in a song. I guess it's only possible with midi and then added as a program change or whatever in one of the tracks.

Or is there another way to make this? Since they don't have that, there might be another way in their eyes?

If the fx that you want to add are produced by plugins, these could be adjusted (in realtime) remotely via MIDI, providing that you have set up your MIDI controller accordingly... That is one of the main purpose of Mainstage.