Real-time Randomizer

Hi,

Here's a new Environment for you all! Call it an early Christmas present if you like it ;-)

There are full instructions inside.

It looks like this when cabled to a soft. inst channel strip:

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/8508/picture11hk3.png

There are 6 possible parameters that can be randomized. I've set up an example...

Logic's transport needs to be running (in play mode) for it to work and there must be a MIDI region already on the soft. inst track too.

Please do play around with it and let me know what you think.

All forms of feedback are welcome. Yes, even if you think..."what's the point of x?" That's welcome too ;-)

Full instructions are in the Marker List on screenset 1 and screenset 2 contains only the environment.

I really hope you enjoy it and find some use for it, and if not, let me know what you feel is lacking. (it is ver.1 and I'd like to improve it)

BTW, thanks to David and Ski especially for posting their respective environments up here.

Cheers

random nature.zip

Random Nature Ver.1

No prob's!

You don't need to mess with the environment too much.

Just open the project file, Random Nature and it's all set up there.

Basically, if you are in another project and you want to play with the randomizer do the following:

Open the Environment window.

Choose: Options > Import Environment > Layer...

Select "Random Nature" project on your HD and click Open...

Choose the Layer "Random Nature" and click Import.

Now cable the object "Random Nature" to any soft inst channel strip...

Cheers

Nice work, Ronnie... good idea with the instructional video, too... makes it a lot easier to figure out how to use it.

I've been fooling around with Environment objects more and more recently. I look forward to dissecting the randomizer to see how you've put it together.

Hey Muses,

Thnx. Glad the video helps.

Definitely! Please do look inside and rearrange it. I'm looking forward to getting some time to re-do it completely for Ver.2.

I've already got a way to record the random changes to track automation... so any more suggestions or feedback will be much appreciated and may make their way into the next incarnation.

By the way. There is one small bug. Don't move the Channel strips fader during playback. If you do, Random Nature stops responding.

(To reset Random Nature, adjust the Global Randomize mode slider.)

Cheers

My only suggestion at this time is to make the Global Controls section programmable via your midi controller, if there's a way to do this. Saves on having to do all this with a mouse, which gets clunky.

As far as the volume fader bug goes, until we get a "fix", couldn't people simply put in a transformer between the strip and the macro which filters out CC7 info?

Thanks for the suggestion.

I've got a few ideas for improving the Global controls - so this is very helpful.

I think the easiest way to fix the volume fader bug is to disconnect the cable from Inst channel strip --> Random Nature.

Better still (as you suggest) is to cable from

Inst Channel strip --> transformer --> Random Nature

Set the Transformer to the following:

Mode: Filter Matching Events

Status = Control

Channel = 1

Data Byte 1 = 7

Cheers

Rounik

• 4 weeks later...

Hi.

I've dl'd the file, watched the video understood the process but can't get the randomizer to work. The monitor displays the controller data when i manually move a slider on the instrument but no automation occurs when the loop is running.

Am i missing something obvious?

I'm currently just using the project file dl'd of this thread.

Thanks

G

Hi gozk,

the randomizer doesn't work at all?

When you assign a parameter e.g. Inst | 10 to Part A and set a range and play, do you see the ES1's parameter move?

Make sure that the cable from the randomizer is going to the Inst 1 channel.

Also, if the randomizer gets "stuck" during playback, moving the global randomize mode fader generally gets things moving....

Make sure one of the big on / off PART buttons is ON (red) and Logic's transport must be playing.

Make sure the Range is set for the part... and that the range is greater than

Aside from that, it should work straight from download...

Hope that helps

Hi. Thanks for the reply.

No there's no movement in the ES1.

I cabled up a version in a new logic arr but it didn't work, so i opened up the file i downloaded from here to check whether i'd done it correctly.

In the file you posted up here my understanding is that the cabling is already set up and so should work if i hit play and switch a randomizer on (red button)?

Maybe there is a logic preference i need to change?

Thanks for your help, i'd really like to get it working if poss

G

Hi Gosk,

There isn't a preference that needs to be enabled. It should work straight from the project. I d/loaded it earlier today and tested it - so I'm not sure what else to suggest.

Check that you have a MIDI region on the ES1 track in the Arrange...

Can you hear any sound coming from the ES1 track?

Also, what version of Logic Pro are you using and what version of OS X?

Hope you can get it working!

Ho gozk,

Glad you got it working :)

Logic 8.0.2 is more stable than 8.0.0 so I think it's a good move!

There isn't a way to stop the parameters resetting to 0 in ver1 of Random Nature. But I've got this working properly on the next version of Random Nature I'm working on.

Thanks for the feedback! Any other suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi arkay,

Looks like something is a bit funky in your Environment. I see that you must have re-colored the objects in Random Nature. So this means you unpacked and then repacked the Macro. Are you sure you packed it all back ok and none of the connections were disturbed? Did you make sure you had a Macro-In and Macro-Out object within the Macro before packing it again?

Looks to me that for some reason the Monitor in Random Nature is not functioning for you. I'd had this in Logic 8.0.2 where copying a Channel Strip to a new layer in the Environment caused the Monitor not to display MIDI info...

I would suggest opening a new project, copying the original Random Nature macro into the Mixer Layer of the Environment, cabling as shown in my screencast. Then follow the steps of the screencast. Should work for you.

Cheers

1. I've only got through the first 11 seconds of your video... but I have to say NO! Don't copy channel strips from one project to another!

ONLY copy the Random Nature MACRO itself... no connections... no other objects. Nada ;-)

2. btw. This is NOT the original Random Nature macro. The colors are different to my version, which I think means you or someone else has opened the Macro and changed colors of some objects and then repacked the Macro. Is this the case? If it is the case, can you guarantee that everything within the Macro was repacked OK?