Recording from the internet to logic [SOLVED]

peterwaite1

Soundflower will work great for this. Its a tad bit more complicated than it should be, I always forget how to do this, but I always figure it out again in a few minutes.

What you basically need to do here is record the total signal being sent from your system. (I don't know of any functional way to manually record select sources from your computer, to your computer.) In windows they call this 'stereo mix' and you can just check a box in your general audio preferences. OSX doesn't have this built in, probably to prevent the inevitable feedback loops/defness law suits. That being said, make sure you disable everything when your done, shut down soundflower, and change back your preferences in Logic from soundflower to your typical interface/or internal.

I think what you do is this:

-Mute all outputs in Logic, especially the track you are recording on (or make sure its not being sent out). and turn your physical volumes down just in case.

-Install Soundflower.

-Open soundflowerbed.

-Click the flower icon in your menu bar, and click audio setup.

- Under 'Audio Devices', set your input to soundflower 2ch.

- Set your System Output to Soundflower 2ch (try both default and system if this doesn't work).

- In Logic in Preferences-Audio-Core Select Soundflower 2ch as your device. If you hear an intense ringing now.. somethings up with step one.

- See if it works. Hit record on a stereo channel with input 1-2, play the web page/what have you. Should record.

- make sure theres nothing else playing on your computer, no metronomes or anything in Logic as they will end up on your recording.

I think thats how it works. But like I said, I'm usually off by one detail or two but its easy to figure.

Like someone said theres browser plugs/software to rip audio from Youtube, if its a youtube video. But, then your subject to not Logic audio quality, and its handy to be able to do this for other sources. I generally use Soundflower in this fashion to record sound bytes from video sources on my computer. [/i]

No need to open Soundflowerbed. Simply set the Default Output in Audio MIDI Setup to "Soundflower (2ch)". In Logic, also set "Soundflower (2ch)" as the Input Device (Audio preferences) and your audio interface as output. Remember to set the input in your audio channel strip as well. Test it by enabling input monitoring or record-enable the channel.

J.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Thank you for the reply. Sorry so long to check back, been a bit busy.

That's what I thought and how I have always done it. What I was wondering is, can this be done without aggregate device in logic 9? the ability to use two separate audio devices for input and output (like in ableton Live) would be nice...

Yes I mentioned that, but I prefer not to use an aggregate device if I don't need to. For one, I have found that this affects performance slightly. Another is it's just a plain pain in the arse to have to set them up and constantly change interface in logic. Especially considering I have multiple devices and would have to set up multiple aggregates to get the various combinations I want...

So it's not really the same way. One uses an aggregate device as a 'single' audio interface and the other actually allows accessing two interfaces altogether requiring no aggregate device...

As far as being motivation to update; this has to do more with my feelings about what features/options a professional DAW should have than anything else...

Now to get on a friend's computer and see if the elastic (sorry I know logic uses another term for this) is a respectable tool that doesn't require chasing transients for ten hours just to tighten up a track... If it can do this even half as easily/efficiently as Ableton, I'm on board for another round because I have found logics time stretching algorythm to sound much better than ab's...

• 1 year later...
No need to open Soundflowerbed. Simply set the Default Output in Audio MIDI Setup to "Soundflower (2ch)". In Logic, also set "Soundflower (2ch)" as the Input Device (Audio preferences) and your audio interface as output. Remember to set the input in your audio channel strip as well. Test it by enabling input monitoring or record-enable the channel.

J.

I did this last night (prior to finding this thread) and it worked fine. I just selected soundflower as the input, hit record and set the youtube clip playing. It recorded it.

I came back to my computer tonight and I now can't get it to work. I'm sure everything is the same. I have the audio set to my headphones as I did last night, and the input set to soundflower. When I hit record it doesn't record anything. I can hear the youtube clip playing in Safari....

Am I missing something? I already re-booted logic and a new project; no difference. Haven't re-booted my mac yet though as I have some pages open.

Nice one.

Launch System Preferences > Sound and set the output to Soundflower.

Launch Logic and open Preferences > Audio > Core Audio. Set the input to Soundflower.

You may also use you regular interface depending of what you have.

Please add your Logic version and system info to your signature: Forum Rules - please READ THIS before posting (#5)

• 4 years later...