Fix Logic's MIDI Workflow?

Xandula

the control-command click thing for velocity is great, works on my mbp. but...not left-hand friendly (i work the trackpad with my left hand).

so i have to reach over to access this.

i can change it somewhere in logic's settings...?

while i'm rambling.... when i stretch my fingers left-right on the tpad, the arrange window stretches. ok, cool. but when i stretch them up-down...why doesn't the window expand vertically? seems that would make sense.

Do you use BetterTouchTool, Zooom/2 or something else for your trackpad?

No, I don't use those.

Hi Jordito,

If you have a standard Apple keyboard connected to your MBP, have you tried using the CTRL and CMD keys that are on the right of the space bar? I know it's far fetched, but who knows?!?

Hey Blink, no the Cmd and Ctrl keys on the right give the same results.

J.

OK! It doesn't persist in the new account, but this takes us to the next step...

How do I find out what's different between the two to fix the original? I definitely don't want to have to reconfigure a new account just because of this and delete the old one. I always had this in mind with the new account trick "OK, it works fine in the new account...great...now what?"

Progress. :)

J.

Cool Jordi!

Now we know that the problem is inside your user account. Probably inside the Preferences folder.

Use the 50/50 trick.

1. Take half of your preferences and put them outside of your Preferences folder. You can have a "Safe Heaven 1" folder on your desktop or something.
  2. Log out and in again.
  3. If the problem persists swap the presences from from for Preference folder to a "Safe Heaven 2" folder on the desktop and then put the "Safe Heaven 1" files back were that belong.
  4. If the problem is gone you know that it's a file in SH2 that is the problem.
  5. Put 50% back from SH2 and see if the problem returns and so on...
  6. This way you'll wade rapidly through the files: 100 > 50 > 25 > 12 > 6 > 3 > 2 > 1. :D

It will only take 5-10 minutes if you are organized. And remember that it's always a good thing to have a back up but I know that you already know that.

Good Luck.

Cool Jordi!

Now we know that the problem is inside your user account. Probably inside the Preferences folder.

Use the 50/50 trick.

1. Take half of your preferences and put them outside of your Preferences folder. You can have a "Safe Heaven 1" folder on your desktop or something.
  2. Log out and in again.
  3. If the problem persists swap the presences from from for Preference folder to a "Safe Heaven 2" folder on the desktop and then put the "Safe Heaven 1" files back were that belong.
  4. If the problem is gone you know that it's a file in SH2 that is the problem.
  5. Put 50% back from SH2 and see if the problem returns and so on...
  6. This way you'll wade rapidly through the files: 100 > 50 > 25 > 12 > 6 > 3 > 2 > 1. :D

Ah, OS 9 times... this sounds like Conflict Catcher in manual mode... ;)

Looks like I'm going to have to settle with "migrating" to a new account, this is to tough to troubleshoot...at least I tried.

Fortunately, moving to a new account is not going to be such a pain (as I originally thought it would), and having the velocity tool pop up by pressing those two keys is too good to miss out on. :mrgreen:

J.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
...update Logics midi workflow... every time I start editing midi I feel like I'm back in the dark ages.

My two cents-

I experienced just the opposite. No DAW wars comments intended but, I found Pro Tools and Cubase both so counterintuitive (imho), that I quickly abandoned them, dove into logic and never looked back. As state earlier, It's efficient, fully equipped with quickly accessible tools: I love it... 8)

Grab anywhere you want, but press Control and Command first to alter velocity.

Want to add my thanks for this tip as well.

Good tips folks, thanks!

Coming from Sonar, i find the behavior of Logic's pointers to be far more under my control (on Sonar, the hotspots are too small and too much functionality is crammed into a small spot, all in one tool mode; creating notes when i want to move them, not being able to move them when creating them, etc). But the modifier buttons definitely are welcome in Logic! i have tried them by experiment (i'm used to modifiers in Photoshop), but it didn't occur to me that i needed both Control + Command at the same time for a mode, as they're not side-by-side on the keyboard.