LPX no longer sending Midi Out to USB-Midi-Interface

mclight

I feel like a novice - but after hours of searching and trying I've decided to ask for help here ... :oops:

I've used the old school setup for triggering an external synth via an M-Audio-USB-MidiSport-Uno Interface (the one connecting 5 pin to USB) and monitoring the audio signal via a second track. So one track receives and (usually) sends the MIDI signals and a second audio track monitors and records the audio from the midi-triggered synth. This has worked for years. Sometimes I had to unplug the Midi-interface when the connection was lost and after plugging back in it worked again.

Now I've run in a situation in which Logic no longer sends the MIDI signals out from this midi track. It receives the midi in properly, can record and edit it, but it doesn't send them out any longer. The audio midi setup seems correct - it finds the midi interface as always. Moreover it's working with Ableton correctly too (same setup there: one midi track and one audio track for monitoring and recording). I just cant get Logic to send the midi out when the USB Uno Midi Interface is selected under "Port". When changing the Port to something else (eg. Quartet, Automap XY, All etc.) I can see the Midi-Out immediately. But this doesn't send it to the Midi-Interface - thus no sound. :roll:

Interestingly when creating a new external midi track the USB midi interface is not in the list of possible outputs. But after I've created such a track without any output assignment I can choose the USB midi interface under ports. I'm lost ... :?

Any suggestions?

Is this happening only within a specific project? If so, perhaps your project is corrupted.

Have you tried with another track?

Does the MIDI Output button enabled (lit)? Does that track muted?

Check in the Environment for the assigned MIDI Instrument object (either Standard or Multi). Does its output prong appears as a solid white triangle or an empty one? In case of a Multi, does at least one channel appears unslashed? If you connect a Monitor object to it, is there any data scrolling inside it when the project playback?

It happens in general - tried a new project with a new track etc. - same problem.

Not sure what you mean. There's a light beside the Midi-Volume which goes on when hitting and releasing the keys on the synth. That's an indicator light for MIDI signals (sometimes yellow, sometimes green). The track can be muted - but of course it's unmuted for being able to play.

Check in the Environment for the assigned MIDI Instrument object (either Standard or Multi).

I havent changed anything there and all I can find there is the usual 16 channel "box" when choosing the MIDI-Instr. view. Ironically it is called "AUS" (German for "off"). However, that's just the name ...

Does its output prong appears as a solid white triangle or an empty one?

In case of a Multi, does at least one channel appears unslashed?

As soon as I choose the USB Uno Midi Interface as Port the triangle is a solid black. All the 16 channels are grey - none is slashed. I can click on each channel turning it white (well, that's just selecting the channel for further editing ...)

Regarding monitor object I don't know what's that. Honestly, I'm not very familiar with environments ... just used them a few times for setting up things following tutorial videos (eg. multi-instruments in Logic 7). Nowadays I never needed them - and I certainly didn't change anything there ...

It happens in general - tried a new project with a new track etc. - same problem.
Perhaps corrupted pref files?

Not sure what you mean. There's a light beside the Midi-Volume which goes on when hitting and releasing the keys on the synth. That's an indicator light for MIDI signals (sometimes yellow, sometimes green). The track can be muted - but of course it's unmuted for being able to play.

666763684_Screenshot-07_03_20169_02_16AM.jpg.d14437b0d4b126143a5ec5057ecbbd4f.jpg

Check in the Environment for the assigned MIDI Instrument object (either Standard or Multi).

I havent changed anything there and all I can find there is the usual 16 channel "box" when choosing the MIDI-Instr. view. Ironically it is called "AUS" (German for "off"). However, that's just the name ...

Could you post a screen capture of that?

Regarding monitor object I don't know what's that. Honestly, I'm not very familiar with environments ... just used them a few times for setting up things following tutorial videos (eg. multi-instruments in Logic 7). Nowadays I never needed them - and I certainly didn't change anything there ...

Logic creates objects in the Environment automatically to reflect what you use in the GUI. There is no need to delve into Environment for basic Logic purposes, but sometimes glitches (or misuses) occur and something could get wrong in there even without having to open its window...

Connecting a Monitor object to the output of the assigned MIDI output object (Standard or Multi Instrument object) would reveal if the MIDI data is actually flowing out of Logic. IOW, that is for troubleshooting purpose.

BTW, did you go check the Environment document I linked it to?

First, thx a lot for your quick and detailed replies - I really appreciate that! 8)

I'm not in my studio right now and will post some screenshots later on.

Perhaps corrupted pref files?

I use a self-made template in general. But in this case I've started a project from scratch. Same problem - but I'm pretty sure it's not the general pref files. At first I thought it might be the interface itself (some hardware defect). But as it works seamlessly with Ableton Live it seems to be a pure LPX issue.

Thx for the picture - now I know what you meant. I have to recheck in the studio wether it was on when first opening the environment window. However, I remember I could switch it on/off by clicking and that this didn't make any difference - no midi out.

Logic creates objects in the Environment automatically to reflect what you use in the GUI. There is no need to delve into Environment for basic Logic purposes, but sometimes glitches (or misuses) occur and something could get wrong in there even without having to open its window...

I'm aware of this automatism - and that's exactly why I usually only end up on the environment window when something's not working. BTW I just remembered you helping me out with Automap issues a year or so ago. Seems you're an environment expert!

Connecting a Monitor object to the output of the assigned MIDI output object (Standard or Multi Instrument object) would reveal if the MIDI data is actually flowing out of Logic. IOW, that is for troubleshooting purpose.

So you suggest to create a new Monitor object (choosing it from "NEW") and link its input to the GM-track's output? Ok, I'll try that. However the Midi-Out in the transport bar (I've configured it to displaying the actual notes separately for MIDI in and out) shows, that MIDI In is received but not forwarded to MIDI out once the USB interface is selected as the port (other ports display the proper MIDI out signal). But perhaps this environment monitor object will show more?

BTW, did you go check the Environment document I linked it to?

Yes - but I'm not sure what to make of it. In my case there's not much of objects - just one isolated GM object with 16 active channels. It's not connected to anything - which I thought is correct as for Logic the USB interface is "the instrument", right? At least it used to work like that the past 5 years.

Here are the screenshots and my comments:

1198518170_1CreatenewtrackAUSAlle.png.db59270fc39715bbdf501e509139add5.png

When creating a new track the MIDI Interface is NOT available (that's the difference to the past). So I choose AUS instead.

217248937_2ChangePorttoMidiInterface.png.84c3a367c837339f3ce12e12d94287c2.png

Then I change the port to the now available (?) Midi Interface.

386238544_3Midiobjectandgreenbutton.png.5c38e0654fa57c6348386d0e37f84ed3.png

Here's the Midi Object with the solid black triangle on out and the green button lit.

867124573_4NoMidiOutonMidiInterface.png.861a6acaf44aa4c3e576bc81b3d55491.png

In the transport bar you can see that Logic receives the MIDI data from the Interface but does not route them out at the same time.

551500841_5CreatenewtrackQuartetAlle.png.356bf8edf55b7d12e38871839542ab69.png

So, just for a comparison I make a new track choosing another Interface (Quartet in this case).

809250432_6MidiOutonQuartet.png.b4195c60de3707f82eab1a46409d1b14.png

In this case the Midi Out is send as it used to be on the USB Midi Interface in the past (when I choose it already when creating the track).

794791068_7ConnectionquestionforMonitor.png.296a4cfc49071e51cb3c6dbafa8bbab1.png

When connecting the Monitro Objects I was always asked this question and I chose "Remove" (blue button on the right).

1695331635_8MonitorObjectreceivingMidiData.png.836267063e8cbf29a05c57737e4701d9.png

The monitor shows for both objects the proper data.

I think that somehow Logic does not see the Midi Interface as a proper device (because it is missing in the selection menu when creating a new track). However, the Audio-Midi-program of the system software sees the interface properly and it is working perfectly with Ableton Live. It is working with Logic too and Logic sees it as a port - but not when creating a new track and not for sending Midi Out on a track with the Midi Interface on the port. But I can play all the software instruments properly. This drives me crazy ... :?

It seems that your UNO is not well recognized by Logic as a MIDI output device.

Does it shows in tthe Physical Input object (in the Environment)?

I'm afraid it is not properly displayed inside Logic.

Does it show greyed out in the AMS?

No - AMS recognizes it correctly.

Have you tried resetting your Logic prefs?

No - was not sure what else will be reseted by doing so. But according to this it seems pretty save, right?

9. Reset the user preferences

You can resolve many issues by restoring Logic Pro X back to its original settings. This will not impact your media files, presets, or patches.

Important: Before resetting user preferences, be sure to first review your Logic Pro X preferences and note the settings you've chosen. Once you reset Logic Pro X preferences, your custom preferences will return to default settings. For information on different preferences, see Logic Pro preferences overview in the Logic Pro X user Guide.

To reset your Logic Pro X user preference settings to their original state, choose Logic Pro > Preferences > Initialize All Except Key Commands.

So you recommend to do this and I wont kill tons of my customization by resetting the Prefs?

Have you tried booting Logic under a different user account?

No - this never occurred to me.

Resetting your prefs WILL KILL many (if not all your customization) depending of which ones you are referring to. So this is always recommended in those cases to save a backup copy of those prefs in a safe place!

Starting Logic under a new user account (creating a new user account in your Mac, not deleting your current one) would allow you to verify if the problem is related to the prefs or other apps/plugins/services/softwares/etc (that are restricted to registered user account). Consider that if such piece of software is not restricted to run only under your current registered account, and that piece of software is related to your issue, then creating a new user account will not help troubleshooting...

Have you checked this Logic support site?

First - thx a lot Atlas for helping me out once more. In case you'll make it ever to Austria let me know - I owe you at least a bottle of excellent red wine! :wink:

I went for a test with a test user. First I was surprised, how different Logic X was looking now ... well, the extended view wasn't switched on. After having changed that I created various external MIDI tracks - and ALL of them WORKED as they should. Now ain't that crazy! :lol:

I saved a test project and sent it to my standard user. After loading it it no longer worked in my standard user environment. And I still couldn't create the external Midi tracks. So, obviously the problem was connected to my standard user - most likely to his prefs.

I saved the current prefs and then I initialized them (except the key commands) as proposed by the link you provided. Well, that didn't help. Still no Midi interface to choose when creating external midi tracks. More radical measures had to be taken and I manually deleted the 2 pref files (pref-file and control-surface-file) from the prefs in my library (brrrr :? ). And - VOILA! External midi tracks with the midi interface worked again as they should and used to! :mrgreen: I could even load my old templates and they worked perfectly! 8)

Interestingly Logic X tried to find my old Duet interface after the manuel deleting. Now, is there a way to kill ALL settings that Logic ever "knew" (without installing Logic again ... it takes so long to load all those sound libraries)? I'm thinking about starting from scratch to have a "clean" Logic X installation without any strange historic connections to no longer existing audio or midi interfaces, or control surfaces I don't use any more.

I feel like a novice - but after hours of searching and trying I've decided to ask for help here ... :oops:

I've used the old school setup for triggering an external synth via an M-Audio-USB-MidiSport-Uno Interface (the one connecting 5 pin to USB) and monitoring the audio signal via a second track. So one track receives and (usually) sends the MIDI signals and a second audio track monitors and records the audio from the midi-triggered synth. This has worked for years. Sometimes I had to unplug the Midi-interface when the connection was lost and after plugging back in it worked again.

Now I've run in a situation in which Logic no longer sends the MIDI signals out from this midi track. It receives the midi in properly, can record and edit it, but it doesn't send them out any longer. The audio midi setup seems correct - it finds the midi interface as always. Moreover it's working with Ableton correctly too (same setup there: one midi track and one audio track for monitoring and recording). I just cant get Logic to send the midi out when the USB Uno Midi Interface is selected under "Port". When changing the Port to something else (eg. Quartet, Automap XY, All etc.) I can see the Midi-Out immediately. But this doesn't send it to the Midi-Interface - thus no sound. :roll:

Interestingly when creating a new external midi track the USB midi interface is not in the list of possible outputs. But after I've created such a track without any output assignment I can choose the USB midi interface under ports. I'm lost ... :?

Any suggestions?

mclight, seems like you're having the same problems I started having after upgrading to 10.2.1 a couple of months back. Only it's a different instrument in my case, check my post. Also a port disappeared in my case! This instrument has been working for years, even towards an older version of logic (Logic-8) with no problems.

https://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123577

I believe that the 10.2.1 version suffers serious Midi instability, and I am not sure that the solution I reached (see my last reply) was a real solution. I suspect that I'd just managed to 'disturb' the setup and most probably got it to work.

As you see I have this recent post, plus I had issued a previous post, but with no feedback. I had also issued a bug report towards Apple with no response. So one is never sure what they're doing or if they acknowledge a problem or not.

By the way, yes, Atlas007 has always been a great help. I think I even got some comments from him on my earlier post regarding this problem :D

Omar - thx for dropping in. I've read your linked post and esp. the missing port seems quite similar to my original problem. However, I could solve it as described above. I'm pretty sure this is coming from Logic X somehow (as AMS is fine and Ableton Live worked well with the same hardware setup) - but I'm at a loss why and how it was going down in Logic X in the first place. It cost me many hours of searching, trying and testing and I cross my fingers that it is fixed for now. I've updated to 10.2.2 tonight and hope everything will still be well tomorrow ...

Omar - thx for dropping in. I've read your linked post and esp. the missing port seems quite similar to my original problem. However, I could solve it as described above. I'm pretty sure this is coming from Logic X somehow (as AMS is fine and Ableton Live worked well with the same hardware setup) - but I'm at a loss why and how it was going down in Logic X in the first place. It cost me many hours of searching, trying and testing and I cross my fingers that it is fixed for now. I've updated to 10.2.2 tonight and hope everything will still be well tomorrow ...

Thanks. Do we know a specific relationship between the midi setup (ports, etc.) and the preferences? I'm just trying to understand how the problem is solved.

(by the way, I've just listened to "I don't need anything". Very nice. Great job!)

Hey omar - thx for listening to some of my music and your kind words! :-)

Regarding your question: I don't know and and can only guess. I think lots of midi related stuff is defined in the prefs - not so sure about this port thing though. However, I was glad this trick made it work again. ;-)