How does Space Designer handle true stereo?

Erik Cordes
Go to solution Solved by Eric Cardenas,

In the Logic manual Space Designer is described to be able to do mono, stereo and true stereo (making each channel is processed discretely). How does Space Designer differentiate between stereo and true stereo operation? Is that a setting perhaps? 

I am trying to understand if it is possible to do "true stereo" processing with Space Designer or not. To do so you should be able to load either separate stereo left and right IR's, which Space Designer can't, or it has to load quad files. I tried some quad files, but those didn't load and I got an error. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong or am I misunderstanding something about Space Designer. 

I think that has to do (partly) with the SpaceDesigner's version (mono, mono->stereo or stereo->stereo, or surround) selection made; those SD versions are available depending of the channelstrip onto which SD is to be instantiatated on.  If I remember well, upon instantiation, its different plugin versions (mono, stereo, etc...) could become available when using a key modifier (Option, Command, ...) while clicking on the menu to select/load the plugin. Depending of the channelstrip type (mono, stereo, or surround) onto which SD is used, some of its parameters won't be usable, even its GUI will appear (slightly) different to accomodate the different features/parameters according to its version (mono, stereo or surround) used.

You could use a mono IR as mono or mono->stereo or two monos (on distinct channelstrips), you could use a stereo IR on stereo->stereo or use the Input slider to slide it to mono. I think that you need a surround channelstrip to use the surround SpaceDesigner version...

I am trying to understand if it is possible to do "true stereo" processing with Space Designer or not. To do so you should be able to load either separate stereo left and right IR's, which Space Designer can't, or it has to load quad files. I tried some quad files, but those didn't load and I got an error. Perhaps I'm doing something wrong or am I misunderstanding something about Space Designer. 

You need interleaved quad files.

Make sure your files are not 32-bit floating as Space Designer will not support those.

Thanks Atlas007 and Eric. I will look into that. I was trying to use the Bricasti IR's, but couldn't get them working either with the quad format nor the separate left/right IR's. Although I had devised a routing template for the latter. It's odd though that there are not a lot of quality true stereo IR's that are ready for Space Designer in that interleaved quad format. 

• Solution

You should be able to use the Impulse Response Utility that ships with Logic Pro X.

1. Open Space Designer and click on the little menu button to the right of "IR Sample". Choose IR Utility...
  2. Drag and drop at the file you wan't to convert onto the utility GUI.
  3. The configuration should be, Speaker from top to bottom: L L R R.
  4. Microphone, top to bottom: L R L R.
  5. Choose Create Setting...

Hope that helps.

Eric Cardenas:You should be able to use the Impulse Response Utility that ships with Logic Pro X.

Open Space Designer and click on the little menu button to the right of "IR Sample". Choose IR Utility...

Drag and drop at the file you wan't to convert onto the utility GUI and choose Create Setting...

Thanks Eric,

It works like a charm. I made a mistake by opening the file in the Impulse Response and couldn't open it, while I should have dragged and dropped the file. Erik

Edited by Erik Cordes

You're welcome!

I added some info about the channel configuration and clarified everything step by step.

Have fun now.

Thanks for adding that info Eric. I have been fiddling with the Impulse Response Utility, but I still have a couple of questions. 

1. Does it matter which track layout I choose or is that overridden once I drag the quad impulse into the GUI? 
  2. The quad file I have (Free Bricasti "1 Halls 01 Large Hall Quad.wav") has a different order of channels. Can I just start changing the speaker positions without messing up the Impuls Response? 
  3. The layout is (from top to bottom) a L, R, Ls, Rs channel. This setup is not in the manual, can you suggest an order if that order can be changed?

Sorry for the many questions, I'm trying to get these IR samples to work for me.

One last question... So for question number 3 do I take for the speaker position from top to bottom "L, Ls, R, Rs" or "Ls, L, Rs, R"? Likewise with the microphone settings: "L, R, Ls, Rs" or "Ls, Rs, L, R" or doesn't that matter either? I'm trying to wrap my head around this of how it works.