How to extend region with silence

charlierokit

I'm sure many have had this problem migrating from 9 to X, but I can't find any solution.

In 9 when I was editing guitar parts into 4 or 8 bar loops, I was able to cut either the beginning part or the end part, and then drag (extend) the region to the locator (end/beginning of bar) thereby getting rid of an unwanted sound, and replacing it with silence. easy peasy.

Now in X when I cut and then extend, it replaces what i cut with what I just deleted (like one of those birthday candles you blow out, and reignites).

I have a TON of guitar parts that I need to edit, and I'm going crazy as I can't get rid of either the end or the beginning without some longwinded improvised way around the issue.

Is there some key I need to hold down when I do this?

I just want to cut, and then extend the region filled with silence to the marker. Like I used to do in 9.

Thank you for reading this.

It's difficult to answer without seeing what you're trying to do.

The cut and extend works as it did in 9, but WHERE you click on the region (and the active tool) affect this.

You could also use the Insert Silence Between Locators command Ctrl-Command-Z (note this is global...NOT for selected region(s). There is the same command for selected regions/events, but you'd need to assign your own key command.

The Marquee tool is another option.

The Edit menu menu Split, Cut/Insert Time, Trim, Move etc. commands might also be useful.

I'd suggest experimenting with each to see what it brings to the table....and then figuring out what function (or combination of functions) will make your repetitive tasks quicker.

If no key command is assigned by default to the command(s) that meet your needs...create assignments you'll remember.

Thank you for the reply. I will do my best to be more specific, as this is a basic function I am sure almost all use.

Let's say I have a guitar part recorded over 16 bars, from that I find the best 4 bars and cut either side, so i can create a loop.

At the beginning of this new region I have just created, there is a small part of guitar left from the original 16 bar take.

I want to cut that part away, and then fill that part with silence, and have one audio track that loops perfectly.

In Logic 9 you can cut a guitar track at 1.1bars using scissors, deleting the small cut part, and then with the mouse drag/extend the audio region back to bar 1, a new part would be created in that space between 1.1 and 1, which would be silence

Now giving you a perfect 4/8bar region without the glitch/sound/pop you just cut away, that you could now perfectly loop.

Very quick and very simple.

In Logic X when you cut with scissors and do the same, the small part of the region you just deleted reappears as you drag/extend the region.

The option to extend the region you just cut without the deleted part reappearing, seems to have gone.

I am confident that this is a big part of workflow for a lot of people, I can't be the first to come across this.

Having to start clicking above in the menu will severely hamper my workflow and speed.

I really want to avoid these kind of workarounds.

It used to be 'cut and drag'

viewtopic.php?t=121437

Tried to use the trim fill within locaters but nothing happens, even that would be longer than what i am used to in 9.

I can't believe there isn't a huge outcry on the net about this no longer working in X, am I the only person looping original instrument parts :D

There is new behaviour in 10.4 that makes this easy: With the Join command you can now "glue" a marquee selection of regions and emptiness to one single region. So in your case:

Edit as usualy your guitar to fit (multiple) regions inside the 4 bars.

Marquee those full 4 bars, i.e. marquee what you want the loop to be.

Hit the Join key command (don't know what is default, look in Key Commands, "Join Region/Notes").

(Maybe this is doable with the mouse too, I don't know, I prefer key commands)

(You can also do this with Folders but in your situation I guess that would be too hassle-ish)

Let's say I have a guitar part recorded over 16 bars, from that I find the best 4 bars and cut either side, so i can create a loop.

At the beginning of this new region I have just created, there is a small part of guitar left from the original 16 bar take.

I want to cut that part away, and then fill that part with silence, and have one audio track that loops perfectly.

In that case I create a new audio file from that region, go into the audio editor and delete that "extra" sound = create silence.

Sometimes I also add fade in and out directly to the audio destructively.

In that case I create a new audio file from that region, go into the audio editor and delete that "extra" sound = create silence.

That's what I used to do too but as kiotozane pointed out in 10.4 you can just marquee select the section you want and press Command-J! :D

That's what I used to do too but as kiotozane pointed out in 10.4 you can just marquee select the section you want and press Command-J! :D

At the moment it seems I'm out for 10.4

Wasn't able to "zap" my 4.1 MP to 5.1, so I can install Sierra. I'm still a little torn, if I should be disappointed and just shouldn't care about 10.4 , or really really try to get Sierra installed.

There is new behaviour in 10.4 that makes this easy: With the Join command you can now "glue" a marquee selection of regions and emptiness to one single region. So in your case:)

Thank you for that will def do when i upgrade. Can't do the upgrade now as I'm in the middle of an album. Too risky.

This is such a fundamental part of logic, cutting and deleting a piece and extending the remaining part.

I can't believe they would take this function away for no reason.

There must be a simple way. right?

What is the best way to make contact with their developers? I want to see this function put back in, for example: command click as you're cutting would cut the piece completely, so it can't extend back to what was just deleted.

When you are working on 15 songs that are overflowing with guitar parts you're trying to arrange, it needs to be fluid.

Anyone else noticed that this function disappeared from 9?

At the moment it seems I'm out for 10.4

Wasn't able to "zap" my 4.1 MP to 5.1, so I can install Sierra. I'm still a little torn, if I should be disappointed and just shouldn't care about 10.4 , or really really try to get Sierra installed.

Now watch the price of 5.1's soar past what they cost originally. Oh apple.....

Anyway lets not hijack this important and crucial thread.

Thank you David.

Do you remember the simple function I am talking about in 9?

I just want someone to confirm I'm not going crazy, and that apple are crazy for removing such a crucial tool.

Do you remember the simple function I am talking about in 9?

I just want someone to confirm I'm not going crazy, and that apple are crazy for removing such a crucial tool.

No, there was no such function in Logic 9, if you extended a region that had audio material then it would bring that audio material back. If there was no audio material where you wanted to extend a region then it wouldn't extend any further than the parent audio file would allow. To extend with silence you've always had to create a new audio file, it's just that now in 10.4 they've made it easier to create that new audio file.

first of all you should definitely flash your Mac Pro from 4,1 to 5,1 ...

I know you said you were unsuccessful ... but everybody does it (as did i) ...

it is well worth the hassle .

and as David has pointed out the feature you speak of was not available in logic pro 9 ...

if you were able to drag left or right to extend a region ...

that just means that you had already split , cut or cropped that region before

and you are just putting back what you had previously removed .

The best and easiest work around before 10.4 is this ;

just record a one bar region of silence on an audio track somewhere ...

now anytime you need to extend a region with silence

you just copy/ paste that silent region in front of or behind the region you're working on , join or merge them together ...

then trim to your desired length .

been doing that for years ...

The best and easiest work around before 10.4 is this ;

just record a one bar region of silence on an audio track somewhere ...

now anytime you need to extend a region with silence

you just copy/ paste that silent region in front of or behind the region you're working on , join or merge them together ...

then trim to your desired length .

been doing that for years ...

I never bothered recording silence. Instead I'd just marquee select a piece of the audio region I wanted to extend, copy it a little before (or after) and join, then trim to the desired length.