Autotune/Melodyne or Flex Pitch

itssofly

Is it only possible to make harmony's with Melodyne, to put in on multiple tracks with Melodyne Assistant?

Because I read that Assistant doesn't have a polyphonic function/option, is that right?

Can Melodyne Assistant only transfer 1 mono audio track? So if you have 1 audio track with a vocal or multiple vocals and guitar for example, Melodyne Assistant can't transfer it?

Does anyone know how that works exactly?

I’d suggest you need the Melodyne Editor version if you want to be able to create harmonies in the same instance/window. The Assistant is only monophonic. Editor would enable you to, for example, correct a guitar part where one of the strings is slightly out of tune. I really recommend that you look at the Celemony videos to get an idea of the many possibilities.

I’d suggest you need the Melodyne Editor version if you want to be able to create harmonies in the same instance/window. The Assistant is only monophonic. Editor would enable you to, for example, correct a guitar part where one of the strings is slightly out of tune. I really recommend that you look at the Celemony videos to get an idea of the many possibilities.

+1

There’s always a limit to how far any piece of audio can be transposed before it starts to sound bad, but you describe it as crackling, which could suggest your CPU is struggling or maybe your buffer setting could be adjusted, in the absence of any details about your computer.

I’ve just realised you were talking about Flex Pitch there, so that may or not be relevant. I use Melodyne as a matter of course anyway because I know it’s likely to give me a better result.

There’s always a limit to how far any piece of audio can be transposed before it starts to sound bad, but you describe it as crackling, which could suggest your CPU is struggling or maybe your buffer setting could be adjusted, in the absence of any details about your computer.

I’ve just realised you were talking about Flex Pitch there, so that may or not be relevant. I use Melodyne as a matter of course anyway because I know it’s likely to give me a better result.

It's not my CPU i think because everything is fine. And it's on the place where the note transition to a another note. I transpose the phrase/note 1 semitone and every time when i play the recorded vocal and loop it, on that place that where the transition begin ( where i transpose 1 semitone) there is a crackle.

If you go 5 semitones or higher you hear more artifacts, but 1 semitone is weird for crackling on that transition. It's like if you cut something an audio sample for example or a kick and if you doesn't make a fade you hear crackling noise too.

It's not my CPU i think because everything is fine. And it's on the place where the note transition to a another note. I transpose the phrase/note 1 semitone and every time when i play the recorded vocal and loop it, on that place that where the transition begin ( where i transpose 1 semitone) there is a crackle.

If you go 5 semitones or higher you hear more artifacts, but 1 semitone is weird for crackling on that transition. It's like if you cut something an audio sample for example or a kick and if you doesn't make a fade you hear crackling noise too.

Have you tried enabling Snap Edits to zero crossing?

• 2 months later...

I have artefacts whenever I break the curve between to notes (cutting, adjusting pitch drift or vibrato, pitching too many ticks - <5). If I actually have to adjust a semitone and can't track or comp another note in, I have found that playing around with the curves often works great. If not, automate volume on that one click where the artefact appears. Or try to mask it with a (barely) audible effect (drop a rhythm element/frequency that covers it). Play around with it. However, the best is often to redo the take if you can. Don't go for vocalists that miss a whole semitone! Unless that is yourself, of course.

I really wish we could see the entire curve between notes, including tonal consonants like b, d etc. If you do know how, please tell me!

Yup, there is usually a break between all notes, even vowels. When I zoom to 12/229 in a sequence that only consists of attached vowels, there are still voids in the curve between notes. When I move the pitch drift or vibrato, it usually breaks the actual curve,and it can be very hard to find the exact attachment point again - which then results in a pop.

Definitely a feature to ask for if there is none.

This is currently my best strategy for avoiding artefacts with Flex Pitch:

- LAY OFF PITCH DRIFT unless you are working on non-voiced consonant sound (t, s, sh, k, p, f, (h) q, x) or a preceding or following break between words. Remember that the there is often no sound break in words where voiced consonants are involved, such as "I am in love."

- Fine tuning can disrupt the curves, so if that happens, try to fine tune several notes in the same operation or tweak the vibrato to go higher or lower instead.

- DON'T CUT UP NOTES. If Flex didn't show the right amount of notes, sometimes it helps to re-analyze for Flex information. If this doesn't happen, mark the entire section and work it into the right pitch via vibrato and pitch drift (but remember to be cautious, ref above).

With this in mind, it usually works out fine. And then there is always discreet automation or the adding of an effect to mask the artefacts.

• 4 months later...
Melodyne sounds better in my experience, I sometimes use good old Time and Pitch machine directly on wave form with Serato pitch n time LE algorithm , worked beautifully in 9 to a lesser degree in 10 ( sometimes nice with logic algorithms too).Auto tune 8 messes with timing to much for me , edits/cross fades are slightly different even with PDC .Auto 5 was best version IMO - had a vibe- more efficient.Ironically I have to pay £100 to upgrade 8 to "Pro" which includes 5 algorithm !!