Autotune/Melodyne or Flex Pitch

itssofly

Flex Pitch is free. I'd give that a try if I were just starting out.

I use Melodyne for tuning and AutoTune for effect. but I've been doing for a long time and I don't see the point of switching now.

Steve

That was my thought too about Melodyne for tuning and AutoTune for the AutoTune effect. Thanks!.

Flex tends to smear the high-frequency content by about 10dB. It's useful but not as powerful or as transparent as melodyne.

Thanks!

nectar2 is awesome, and it's pitch function (not the harmony thing, which is also awesome), is pretty similar to the pitch correct in logic. all of these are similar to autotune.

flexpitch and melodyne are better for true pitch correction, or creating specific harmonies; try flexpitch (since it's already there, and you can always check out melodyne)...

The beauty of Melodyne to me is that you can do so many other functions at the same time beyond pitch corrections - adjust timing and the amplitude of individual notes, for example, even on the old, simpler version I use (Melodyne Singletrack). The Studio version allows display and editing of multiple tracks and adjustment of tonal variations (a bit like match eq using formant data) but it is expensive.

nectar2 is awesome, and it's pitch function (not the harmony thing, which is also awesome), is pretty similar to the pitch correct in logic. all of these are similar to autotune.

flexpitch and melodyne are better for true pitch correction, or creating specific harmonies; try flexpitch (since it's already there, and you can always check out melodyne)...

I tried Flex Pitch, but if drag vocal parts/phrase high I hear artifacts. Is that also with Melodyne?

The beauty of Melodyne to me is that you can do so many other functions at the same time beyond pitch corrections - adjust timing and the amplitude of individual notes, for example, even on the old, simpler version I use (Melodyne Singletrack). The Studio version allows display and editing of multiple tracks and adjustment of tonal variations (a bit like match eq using formant data) but it is expensive.

Is the Melodyne Assistant version okay? if you want to edit vocals or want to make harmony?

I tried Flex Pitch, but if drag vocal parts/phrase high I hear artifacts. Is that also with Melodyne?

is there a demo with melodyne? it seems to me (and i've been wrong before), that, going too far up or down in pitch is just not workable. i sometimes create a harmony track with flexpitch, but it's always tucked just under the lead vocal (and sounds great). and i've changed pitches in a vocal, but a few steps only. anyway, curious how melodyne compares these days....

There is a version of Nectar that displays notes in a similar way to Melodyne, it's a module that you load separately (it also has another part called Breath for removing breath sounds) that's what I was thinking about for comparison. The real time pitch correction in the main software seems alright but I prefer taking the time to look at a bit more detail.

Edit - just had a quick check since I'm on my phone at the moment, it's called Nectar Production Suite (I think I got it as an upgrade on offer at some time).

Is the Melodyne Assistant version okay? if you want to edit vocals or want to make harmony?

You want the plugin version (Melodyne Editor). It absolutely rocks. You can do all of that with that version. Also, ARA functionality is coming very soon to Logic, so you don't have to transfer the track in first. Should be coming anytime now.

My old version does work as a plugin, by the way. It's been enough for what I want but I imagine I'll have to update to get the ARA functionality so I might as well wait and see what the options are then.

ARA is a technical implementation only. As in, it already works in a few other DAWs, so there's no reasonable assumption that they would change pricing/offers on that alone.

is there a demo with melodyne? it seems to me (and i've been wrong before), that, going too far up or down in pitch is just not workable. i sometimes create a harmony track with flexpitch, but it's always tucked just under the lead vocal (and sounds great). and i've changed pitches in a vocal, but a few steps only. anyway, curious how melodyne compares these days....

Yes there is a demo, but the problem is that i've download it a long time ago, and I hadn't time enough to check it. And I can't use the demo anymore unfortunately.

A problem now.

Yes there is a demo, but the problem is that i've download it a long time ago, and I hadn't time enough to check it. And I can't use the demo anymore unfortunately.

A problem now.

i'd say that, if you really feel you can't do what you need with flex pitch, then melodyne is a good investment. i used it until logic introduced flexpitch (which has definitely gotten better over time), and have not looked back. but if one doesn't work for you, go for the other. what else is there?

A problem now.

i'd say that, if you really feel you can't do what you need with flex pitch, then melodyne is a good investment. i used it until logic introduced flexpitch (which has definitely gotten better over time), and have not looked back. but if one doesn't work for you, go for the other. what else is there?

Yes, but i can't check now so i don't know what more i can do with Melodyne then Flex Pitch. I must to refer Youtube tutorial video's

There is Melodyne and Flex Pitch at least that is what i know and (Waves Tune)

flex time.. makes too many "artifacts" it is really useless.. MELODYNE 100% better. yeap.. and polyphonic detection too.

i can fix notes within a few steps without issue with flexpitch, and create wider 'spreads' for harmony vocals (mixed just under a lead vocal, for example). but definitely nothing more 'extreme' than that..