RoutingMultiple IAC Buses in Environment Window

willvdc
Go to solution Solved by David Nahmani,

Greetings!

I am using Logic's Scripter MIDI FX plug to transpose MIDI files to a custom scale. I then record the MIDI output of the IAC Driver back into a separate track in Logic so I have the actual MIDI, not just the playback. I'm doing this one track at a time using the following method:

But what if I wanted to convert multiple MIDI regions/files at one time in the same session using multiple IAC busses? How would I route this in the environment window? In short this is what I need to route:

External Instrument 1------>IAC Bus 1------>MIDI Track 1

External Instrument 2------>IAC Bus 2------>MIDI Track 2

External Instrument 3------>IAC Bus 3------>MIDI Track 3...etc.

Hypothetically using all 16 MIDI channels...

I am terrible within Logic's Environment window, so specific (possibly screen grab examples) responses are very much appreciated!

All my best,

Will

I highly doubt that this will be efficient in any way, shape or form, but here goes.

- Create an IAC Bus object in Audio MIDI Configuration.

- Create 16 Audio Instrument tracks, each with a MIDI FX plugin followed by the External Instrument plugin and put Regions there

- Route each of these EI plugins on a different MIDI Channel to that IAC bus

- Create 16 AI tracks with the target instruments

- Set each AI target track to another MIDI channel in the Inspector

- Select the first AIT track, then click the record buttons of the other AIT tracks

- in Project Settings/Recording enable "Auto demix by channel if multitrack recording"

- Hit Record

Done. (sheesh)

Make sure you don't have a source track selected and play notes manually or from that track, as it will create a MIDI loop.

Why not just play those lines in the right keys ?

EDIT: what David said...

Hi gents,

Worked like a charm! Cheers!

fuzzfilth...I would absolutely play the lines in the right keys, but the problem is that I'm actually doing transcriptions of punched mechanical organ scores that are scanned and sent to me as MIDI files. After that, it's my job to transpose from the original organ scale to a completely different one (in this case a 110-key organ to an 89 key organ). Register triggers, drums, and concert note positions are in different places for each organ, and neither one is chromatic (yikes...I know). I'm able to accomplish this by using the a custom setup of Logic's scripter that I found on another Logic forum to remap the notes in real time and record the MIDI output to go from the 110 to the 89...thanks to YOUR help!

It's an obscure and weird application to be sure, but–hey–it's one of many gigs that pays the bills.

Again THANK YOU BOTH. You're real lifesavers ;-)

~WVDC

transpose from the original organ scale to a completely different one (in this case a 110-key organ to an 89 key organ). Register triggers, drums, and concert note positions are in different places for each organ, and neither one is chromatic

That's crazy. And fascinating. Did you hear the original organ and can proof your work on the other or do you simply hope it sounds ok ?

I would consider an entirely different approach. Run the regions through Scripter and then use the Midi FX Freeze plugin to capture the midi output. Not only does this avoid IAC entirely, but you will get completely sample accurate renderings of the result. IAC is pretty tight anyway, usually less then 1ms of slop, its not a huge concern, but just something to point out.

MidiFXFreeze.component.zip

Edited by Dewdman42