Cheapest machine that can run Logic Pro X in 2021

Prem Nath

JmcL718 said:
I am using the M1. I’m feeling pretty good about it so far. One problem is my MPC’s software doesn’t completely work with BIg Sur yet. Another monitor I bought was unable to work with it. I’m guessing there’s a number of devices that require updates to coordinate with the new architecture. Here’s a video that might help you understand the chip better.

I haven't had my hands on a 2020 MacBook Air, but I've been super unimpressed with the 2018-2019 models. My clients generally hate them and we end up having to replace them. I loved my 2012 11" for Logic, but until the M1 I wouldn't have considered buying another Air. (I do Macs for a living)

Ah I see. I presume you feel the same way about the 2017 model?

The cheapest alternative in a macbook is the new M1 Air. The CPU is the same, one less GPU core, but no fan. From what you describe, it would handle what you want to do with ease. I have one of the new Minis. Basic model, 8 gb RAM. It almost makes the computer in my signature seem sluggish, in fact scratch the 'almost.' The MB Air is under $1000 afaik.

When you say one of the new minis you mean the M1?

Yes. I am very impressed with it so far. This unit I bought for my wife, but I thought I'd see how the new M1 chip performs with Logic in its most basic configuration. Apple has hit a homerun with these new processors.

I have had zero issues connecting my peripherals, but they are minimal. My Novation midi controller worked right away, my TimeMachine disk showed up, my RME Fireface 802 works perfectly.

On another note, what have you folks’ experiences been with hardware and software compatibilities on the M1 machines.

Am asking mostly out of academic curiosity.

Just checked out Things 3 they are saying they’re good.

Logic I presume is fine.

What about the MS suite.

Focusrite?

Gimp?

I know too many folks who have encountered heat problems with the "Air" models. If all you're ever doing is surfing the net, you're never going to tax any of the silicon enough to cause it to heat-up, but if you're rendering things (be it music or video or CG or any of the above), you definitely will. And, if there's anything in this world that is "death to silicon," as well as "the great de-stabilizer," it would be heat.

(Goes without saying that you buy the maximum-duration AppleCare® bumper-to-bumper warranty on everything you get.)

Another thing worth re-mentioning here is: "freeze and bounce." These are procedures which pre-calculate portions of your project to create audio-only tracks to stand-in for them. Logic's designers have poured a lot of effort into both facilities to make them very easy to use. (You might need to turn the "freeze" button on ...)

The key advantage is that Logic no longer has to do the work "in real time." It can focus just on what you've given it to freeze or bounce, and, if it takes "1.01 seconds" to calculate "1.00 seconds' worth" of that material, that's no longer cause for a System Overload. As it otherwise would be. Once the audio has been generated, Logic has only to play that audio, which takes essentially-zero resources but sounds exactly the same.

It does encourage you to "plan ahead," instead of just creating 100 tracks and seeing if your system can take it. :) You work on a single aspect of your song, freeze or bounce it, and move on to the next one – treating the thing more like an "audio project." It's completely non-destructive – you can re-do anything anytime – and it helps you to think, and plan, how the various aspects of the sound are going to fit and work together.

Really, the only "hardware-limited factor" is (a) how much work the computer has to do "at once," and (b) having to do it "in real time." Freeze/Bounce lets you easily bypass both restrictions without seriously cramping your style.

When buying a new computer, I consider memory to be the most important thing to "maximize." Buy as much RAM as you can, so that you can drive your computer down a many-lane highway.

I know too many folks who have encountered heat problems with the "Air" models. If all you're ever doing is surfing the net, you're never going to tax any of the silicon enough to cause it to heat-up, but if you're rendering things (be it music or video or CG or any of the above), you definitely will. And, if there's anything in this world that is "death to silicon," as well as "the great de-stabilizer," it would be heat.

(Goes without saying that you buy the maximum-duration AppleCare® bumper-to-bumper warranty on everything you get.)

This is a documented problem in the M1 Air as well? Worrying right? Everywhere I look there are people saying the Airs are not serious machines. But I thought the M1 didn’t have that issue.

Another thing worth re-mentioning here is: "freeze and bounce." These are procedures which pre-calculate portions of your project to create audio-only tracks to stand-in for them. Logic's designers have poured a lot of effort into both facilities to make them very easy to use. (You might need to turn the "freeze" button on ...)

The key advantage is that Logic no longer has to do the work "in real time." It can focus just on what you've given it to freeze or bounce, and, if it takes "1.01 seconds" to calculate "1.00 seconds' worth" of that material, that's no longer cause for a System Overload. As it otherwise would be. Once the audio has been generated, Logic has only to play that audio, which takes essentially-zero resources but sounds exactly the same.

It does encourage you to "plan ahead," instead of just creating 100 tracks and seeing if your system can take it. :) You work on a single aspect of your song, freeze or bounce it, and move on to the next one – treating the thing more like an "audio project." It's completely non-destructive – you can re-do anything anytime – and it helps you to think, and plan, how the various aspects of the sound are going to fit and work together.

Really, the only "hardware-limited factor" is (a) how much work the computer has to do "at once," and (b) having to do it "in real time." Freeze/Bounce lets you easily bypass both restrictions without seriously cramping your style.

When buying a new computer, I consider memory to be the most important thing to "maximize." Buy as much RAM as you can, so that you can drive your computer down a many-lane highway.

Yes thanks for that.

I regret only getting 8 gigabytes. It would have taken a month or more to get the 16 gigabytes of RAM. It’s hardwired so there’s no way to upgrade after a purchase. It’s doing everything I ask of it so far.

The M1 Air right? Is it struggling. Do you have lots of tracks and plugins.

MacBook Air heat problems that "many" users have, are probably not M1 MBAs. The M1 MBA does CPU throttling to control heat when doing long renders.

I can find no specific evidence of M1 MBA heat problems. I can certainly consider Intel MBA heat problems - my wife's 2020 Intel MBA lights up the fans and gets warm on a regular basis.

My M1 MBA? I can barely get it to go from "cool aluminum" to "room temperature" when running long video conversions. Audio? not a problem yet.

Citations would point us in a direction other than FUD.

MacBook Air heat problems that "many" users have, are probably not M1 MBAs. The M1 MBA does CPU throttling to control heat when doing long renders.

I can find no specific evidence of M1 MBA heat problems. I can certainly consider Intel MBA heat problems - my wife's 2020 Intel MBA lights up the fans and gets warm on a regular basis.

My M1 MBA? I can barely get it to go from "cool aluminum" to "room temperature" when running long video conversions. Audio? not a problem yet.

Citations would point us in a direction other than FUD.

I thought cpu throttling was a bad thing. What am I missing here.

I have the M1 mini. It hasn’t struggled so far. I’m not going crazy with plugins. Check out the YouTube link I gave earlier in the thread. The guy who posted it pushes and M1 MAC to its limit. It has 8 processors , 4 heavy hitters and 4 average strength. He explains a little how they divide they all share the load.

I have the M1 mini. It hasn’t struggled so far. I’m not going crazy with plugins. Check out the YouTube link I gave earlier in the thread. The guy who posted it pushes and M1 MAC to its limit. It has 8 processors , 4 heavy hitters and 4 average strength. He explains a little how they divide they all share the load.

Will do thanks. Did you figure out if your issue is Big Sur or M1.

Fan on my 13" MBP is off most of the time while running a 4K external screen.

Fan off = Air.

I dont regret getting the pro instead of Air at all, but judging by the performance of the Pro, the Air is nothing to sneeze at.

Yes I am beginning to seriously consider the M1 Air now. My initial idea was to save money but I figure like David said it’s either the most basic i.e. the 2017 or the newest i.e. the M1. The stuff in between is not making enough sense.

So far, I have had no issues with peripherals, no issues with the 1080p monitor currently running via hdmi.

Only issue so far has nothing to do with the machine: 3rd party plugin not working properly in Rosetta or Native. But the m1 Mini basic model? Impresses me, but I'd be happier with the 16 gb RAM. These ARE impressive machines.

So far, I have had no issues with peripherals, no issues with the 1080p monitor currently running via hdmi.

Only issue so far has nothing to do with the machine: 3rd party plugin not working properly in Rosetta or Native. But the m1 Mini basic model? Impresses me, but I'd be happier with the 16 gb RAM. These ARE impressive machines.

Super thanks.

Anyone using an Arturia Keylab Mini with an M1 machine.

The Arturia site says it’s not fully tested. https://www.arturia.com/faq/utilization/compatibility-with-macos-big-sur

Alternately which MIDI keyboards are currently working with the M1 machines. Any idea?

The one in my sig worked immediately, no fuss no muss. Logic even asked me to configure it.

Hackintosh?

Little bit of work but more bang for the buck. Plus you can contain all your SSD storage inside the case instead of a mess of usb cables hanging off the mac. I have 2, runs great.

I’m too invested in the Apple universe (unfortunately) to try that now. But thanks.