Editing copied Audio file edits the original audio file as well

Radiussound
Go to solution Solved by fuzzfilth,

What you describe looks more like you are copying (Option click&drag) or repeating (CMD+R) an audio region.

An audio region is not the audio file itself, but a pointer to an actual audio file, which indicates to Logic when to play that audio file (corresponding to the space that region occupies in the timeline).

Therefore copying an audio region will yield to different regions all pointing to the same audio file.

Opening the project audio browser will reveal same.

Editing the audio file inside the Audio File Editor will therefore affect all the regions (pointing to that audio file).

To perform discrete edition of an audio region, same has to be done via the Audio Track editor (not the Audio File editor).

There could be other methods to achieve same...

:idea: I strongly recommend David's book, it will guide you through an efficient way of learning Logic different features.

What you describe looks more like you are copying (Option click&drag) or repeating (CMD+R) an audio region.

An audio region is not the audio file itself, but a pointer to an actual audio file, which indicates to Logic when to play that audio file (corresponding to the space that region occupies in the timeline).

Therefore copying an audio region will yield to different regions all pointing to the same audio file.

Opening the project audio browser will reveal same.

Editing the audio file inside the Audio File Editor will therefore affect all the regions (pointing to that audio file).

To perform discrete edition of an audio region, same has to be done via the Audio Track editor (not the Audio File editor).

There could be other methods to achieve same...

:idea: I strongly recommend David's book, it will guide you through an efficient way of learning Logic different features.

Thanks, that makes sense to edit an audio file in the tracks window in stead of the file window.

How would I silence a selected part of an audio file in the Track window.

In the file window there is a Silence option under >Function.

Thanks

• Solution

There's several ways to do that. The easiest one is to cut out the part you don't want, again with several possible tools, the Marquee tool being the fastest:

cut.gif.09b373a8a027acbfdcb3760376522750.gif

Or you could use Automation, which is a bit more tedious and works on the signal after all plugins, as opposed to at the top of the chain:

vol.gif.348a9c50bb42c2777bf47b42bfa171b4.gif

Neither of these are destructive like in the Audio File Editor, which you only use if you indeed want to silence a part of the actual audio file, like, forever. I somehow have a feeling that Richard Nixon would have paid good money for this information.

Edited by fuzzfilth

• 4 weeks later...
If we are at the subject: what is the best way to copy a region in the arrange view so Logic would create a new audio file? I would not like to mess up someone else’s vocal files. I would like to experiment for example with flex pitch but would like to keep the original files as is. Just bounce in place region/track?