Wish: "Follow" for Percussion Drummers

Sascha Franck

Title pretty much says it all. I'd really like to see a "follow" parameter for the percussive drummers as well. Really digging that functionality for the plain drummers,

Even better if it was available for the different instrument groups.

That way you could have, say, your main drums following the bass whereas the percussion might follow a guitar or key track.

- Sascha

Title pretty much says it all. I'd really like to see a "follow" parameter for the percussive drummers as well. Really digging that functionality for the plain drummers,

That way you could have, say, your main drums following the bass whereas the percussion might follow a guitar or key track.

- Sascha

Have you considered using different drummers tracks (one for each followed instrument). Then using the groove template to quantize the converted to MIDI drummer track/region (if necessary).

- Sascha

Have you considered using different drummers tracks (one for each followed instrument). Then using the groove template to quantize the converted to MIDI drummer track/region (if necessary).

Well, of course I am (in fact, that's been one of the first things that hooked me on back in version 3...). But it's something entirely different.

1) it's an "offline" process whereas Drummer does its thing in realtime. But more important:...

2) Groove Templates don't change the groove itself, just the grid. In other words; If, say, the rhythmic pattern used for a rhythm guitar track has a strong accent on beat "4 and", Drummer however will follow that accent nicely and very likely place a kick there - which is why it's such a fantastic thing, IMO at least.

- Sascha

Well, of course I am (in fact, that's been one of the first things that hooked me on back in version 3...). But it's something entirely different.

1) it's an "offline" process whereas Drummer does its thing in realtime. But more important:...

2) Groove Templates don't change the groove itself, just the grid. In other words; If, say, the rhythmic pattern used for a rhythm guitar track has a strong accent on beat "4 and", Drummer however will follow that accent nicely and very likely place a kick there - which is why it's such a fantastic thing, IMO at least.

- Sascha

Hmmm no Drummer is offline as well - it doesn't do anything in realtime.

Well, I know. But it does things without any further user action required. In case I record something new onto my Drummers follow-reference track, Drummer will adjust its groove automatically, there's no need to re-do whatever groove quantize stuff.

Well, I know. But it does things without any further user action required. In case I record something new onto my Drummers follow-reference track, Drummer will adjust its groove automatically, there's no need to re-do whatever groove quantize stuff.

Same with groove tracks.

Nah, not really. See, groove tracks only change the quantization "grid" whereas Drummers snares and kicks actually follow your musical events. As said, if I play an accent on beat "4 and", it's likely that Drummer will place a kick there. This is not happening with groove tracks, your drum pattern will always look the same in notation (or in an editor, for the matter).

Same with groove tracks.

Nah, not really.

Yes, really, if you carefully re-read exactly what I was answering to! ;) Let me make myself clear:

Groove tracks do their thing without any further user action required. In case you record something new onto your groove track, the tracks set to follow it will adjust their groove automatically, there's no need to re-do whatever groove quantize stuff.

Groove tracks do their thing without any further user action required. In case you record something new onto your groove track, the tracks set to follow it will adjust their groove automatically, there's no need to re-do whatever groove quantize stuff.

See, I know that. But still, they won't change their, hm, shall we say "musical content". If you program a track with a kick on beat 3, that kick will remain there. Groove Quantize will only define on whether it's a tad (or more) early/late, depending on the reference track. It will however never replace the kick on beat 3 in favour of a kick on beat "2 and". But that is what Drummers follow mode does (which actually makes it worth almost the entire LPX package, at least the way I'm using it).

Then I'm not sure why you said no the first time I said it! :lol:

I didn't exactly (I did however use the word "groove" when "drum pattern" would've been more appropriate). All throughout this thread, I was more or less exclusively referring to Drummer being able to change it's "musical content" - as in "would look different as sheet music" or some such. And it does that kind of in realtime (of course I know it needs some "lookahead", so it's obviously not working for live inputs or while you're recording).

Groove Quantize however would not make your drumbeats (or whatever) look different on a piece of sheet music (ok, not exactly true if you quantize a 16th groove to quarter notes and normalize the quantization settings - but that's not really the purpose of the function).

In other words: Groove Quantize is meant to more or less copy the rhythmic feel of a source track to a destination track (aka "rushing", playing "late", etc.) whereas Drummer is actually changing the basic rhythmic pattern, too.

I didn't exactly

:shock: Well then we have a communication breakdown. I never replied to your point #2 earlier about Drummer being more musical in the way it changes its groove. I replied to your point #1 about Drummer working in realtime whereas with Groove Tracks you have to re-quantize or re-groove or whatever. That part of your comment is wrong. They both use the same technology in that regard. That was my point.

:shock: Well then we have a communication breakdown. I never replied to your point #2 earlier about Drummer being more musical in the way it changes its groove. I replied to your point #1 about Drummer working in realtime whereas with Groove Tracks you have to re-quantize or re-groove or whatever. That part of your comment is wrong. They both use the same technology in that regard. That was my point.

Nah - see, my first comment about things not working in realtime was when Atlas007 mentioned Groove Templates (and linked to the appropriate Apple site) - which are quite different from Groove Tracks. Groove Templates are an "offline" thing and you still need to manually quantize regions in case you're using them - yes, I know there's the "living groove" connection, so once you update the region used for the Groove Template, the GT quantized regions will follow - but that's still something else but Groove Tracks, which are in fact a part of what Drummer is doing as well. Just that Drummer does more (as in changing "notational content", too).