What's an upbeat? A downbeat?

I'm getting confused!

It seems some people call downbeat only the first beat of a bar, while others call downbeat beats 1 and 3, calling beat 2 and 4 upbeats, while yet others call downbeats beats 1, 2, 3 and 4, and upbeat the 1/8th notes in between (so, in Logic, 1 1 3 1, 1 2 3 1, 1 3 3 1 and 1 4 3 1.

Which is correct? Searched google, but couldn't find any reliable authority on the matter.

OK, I looked it up in the dictionary, seems all those definitions are valid. :( makes it nearly impossible to communicate!

up·beat : an unaccented beat or portion of a beat in a musical measure; specifically : the last beat of the measure

down·beat : the downward stroke of a conductor indicating the principally accented note of a measure of music; also : the first beat of a measure

having had some drumming tuition i would call the upbeat: all beats which are played with an upwards motion of the hand or just bouncing along. in other words all notes which are not accented, and carry the groove along instead of slamming it down.

the downbeat IMO refers directly to the drummers hand falling down resulting in a predominant or accented stroke.

so the downbeat is equivalent to the foundation of a beat whereas the upbeats are the 'ghost' hits, creating dynamics, providing an offset for the foundation.

something along those lines anyway....

whether the first beat of a 4/4 pattern or all 4 notes are the downbeat or not depends entirely on the music/genre !

i wouldn't lose sleep over it in any case: bonne nuit il est temps que je me couche ;)

The upbeat is the one you want to punch because he's always so perky and the downbeat is the one you want to punch because he's always so negative.

Really though, (not that what I think/do will affect what others think up/down beats are) I've always gone with the head bob method. When you bob your head to a song, the upbeat is the top of the head bobbing motion while the down is the bottom of said motion.

Works for me.

X

The head bobbing trick is great! Thanks xs4is... by the way, always meant to ask: where does your username come from, and what does it mean? Excess for eyes?

So following the head bobbing method, in a fast punk song the snare is the upbeat, while in a regular tempo rock song it is a downbeat.. interesting!

The head bobbing trick is great! Thanks xs4is...

Happy to help David.

by the way, always meant to ask: where does your username come from, and what does it mean? Excess for eyes?

Well, it's a reference to a Nirvana "icon" that was one of my favorites when I was a youngin.' Nirvana is what really got me into playing music, so it's sort of a subliminal form of "props," if you will. (see pic below)

So following the head bobbing method, in a fast punk song the snare is the upbeat, while in a regular tempo rock song it is a downbeat.. interesting!

Right. When I was starting out in bands, I played drums in a punk band (we sucked, LOL!) but I had to use the head-bob method to keep correct time. You should try the head bob with some more obscure songs in really odd times, like anything by Soundgarden just before they split.

X('s for eyes)

nirvana_smiley_face.gif.5e1f92d87948bfa71ad5d3e7fff7af6e.gif

Awesome! I'm a huge Nirvana song, and in fact "Smells Like Teen Spirits" changed my life! That's one of those albums I had to run to the store to get immediately. Before Nirvana all my friends were into "metal", I just couldn't get into it. Nirvana, and one year later Rage Against The Machine were what I was waiting for!

I guess you might have been able to tell from my avatar.

Hi,

I know that certain musical terms have different meanings, but after a 30+ year career as a working pro, playing all styles including a lot of reading gigs (reading music, playing with conductors, etc..) and "bands" (rock, jazz, latin) - the way that everyone I know uses the term is:

Downbeat is any rhythmic hit that is on the beat, whether 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, etc...

An Upbeat is not on the beat (typically an 8th note that is not on the beat)

That's borne out in this typical language: No, man, you are supposed to come in on the "and of 2" or "cut that off on the downbeat of 3"

Just my 2 cents.

J

toysun has the closest explanation IMO so far. Playing around LA and the east coast for 20 years I've only heard the distinction in this way: In a one-bar phrase with eighth notes, you count 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and . Typically 2 and 4 are the snare hits (backbeat). All of the "ands" are considered upbeats. I'm not saying that this is the law, but I've never had a conversation with another musician that looked at me wierd when I said "come in on the and of 2". And then to check, we would play and all nodd our heads UP on the "and of 2".

Backbeat! That's one definition I forgot, thanks.

Yeah I've played with in a lot of jams and I'm familiar with the "1 and 2 and.." counting system and saying things like "start on the and of 3". I just never realized that nodding the head up meant that's an upbeat. Makes a lot of sense now.

Hi,

I know that certain musical terms have different meanings, but after a 30+ year career as a working pro, playing all styles including a lot of reading gigs (reading music, playing with conductors, etc..) and "bands" (rock, jazz, latin) - the way that everyone I know uses the term is:

Downbeat is any rhythmic hit that is on the beat, whether 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, etc...

An Upbeat is not on the beat (typically an 8th note that is not on the beat)

That's borne out in this typical language: No, man, you are supposed to come in on the "and of 2" or "cut that off on the downbeat of 3"

Just my 2 cents.

J

Sorry I am late to the thread but Toysun got it right.

• 6 months later...
David, did you ask this question for your book? I just got to the Ultrabeat chapter where you're discussing downbeats and upbeats.

:wink:

Yup. I was thrown off by Ultrabeat's downbeat/upbeat definitions. Tell any classically trained musician that there's more than one downbeat in a bar and they'll laugh at you.