Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 vs Metric Halo ULN2

Focusrite Saffire Pro or... dig deep for Metric Halo ULN2?

I'm about to 'trash' my Presonus Firestudio Project after years of frustration, cussing, and shed loads of wasted recording time/inspiration/money. Don't get me wrong, it's a great units with some very warm pre-amps: when it isn't overloading or spluttering. It played very nicely with Leopard, but from there until 10.9.5 it's been pretty much a brick. Ironically, it 's best of friends with CuBase under Windows. I, however, am not. The affable Presonus chaps offered to 'fix' it for pretty much 50% of the original cost. So...

…I have a Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56 parked in the Amazon basket awaiting the click of a mouse. However, before I commit £500+ greenies to the wind, I thought I'd check in to see whether I'm being a little greener than my cash, and should perhaps opt for something better, or rather, more compatible.

I notice that the eminent David Nahmani employs a Metric Halo ULN2 (love their plug-ins!). So, the question is – do I really go to town and sell the family heirlooms to MH, or can the Liquid 56 pre-amps pack a decent punch in the ring. I've heard various rumours about Focusrite's pre-amps being pretty clean and quiet, but also that they need a lot of pushing to get a decent level. I've also read varying reports on their two dedicated Liquid channels. But everyone gets a bad review sometime or another. I've no doubt that MH is the superior product. But are we talking about a sea of difference, or a few extra bells and whistles?

With the 'utmost' respect, I'm really only interested in hearing from those of you out of the 'honeymoon period, who have spent time with either MHULN2 or FLS56 (so I'm looking forward to your take on this, David!). Even I was praising extolling the virtues of Presonus under OS X 10.5. Nowadays, I'm about ready to take an axe to it! Relax... Breathe.. and… back in the room! ;-)

So: Metric Halo ULN2 or Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56? No fence-sitting allowed!

NB: Preferably, it will need to play nicely with both L9 under 10.6.8, and LX under 10.9.5. I don't ask for much, do I!

Thanks for getting back, David. I'm going to take the plunge and get the Metric Halo. I've heard nothing but great reports. I'm looking at the possible configurations. Adding DSP+ seems like a no-brainer. But what about the Jensens? Did you go for one, two, or none? If you did, do you consider the extra gloss to be that noticeable?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...