Need to grow a region so that I can loop it

amiracam

I have recorded an audio region which ended up being a smidge less than 2 bars. However , I need it to be 2 bars so that I can evenly loop it , i.e. so that looping will align with the time grid.

I tried using the "stretch" tool to no avail (not trying to stretch time) in hopes it would just show silence, but it makes sense since the region is associated to a file and there is no data left.

The only thing I can think of is pencil in an empty audio region and then glue?

Or in the destructive editor perhaps one can add silence ?

What is the best practice in this case ?

thanks

well that poses a problem then since I'm trying to extend the end of the region, thus I must start at the beginning of the region other wise it implies I must trim the region back to the start.

Nonetheless , I'm still encountering problems. The menu still shows disabled even if I start the marquee selection before the start of the region. See :

979695848_Regionsinplacemenu.png.0ee238474b78afa63760cdfeedfa10a8.png

and here's the region wrapped in the marquee:

1704859995_regiontoextend.png.6b87814a7b8c385df146196cb980b90b.png

I should add that the "pack to folder" option works, yet for one I don't like the loss of visibility of the wave form.

I guess that this might be one situation where the destructive edit of appending the necessary silence to the region is the way to go and that seems to be exactly what the bounce region in place feature does, which is somehow unavailable to me under these circumstances.

understood, I'll try to get to that, I guess I should also try the bounce feature you mentioned in a virgin project and see if it works. I also noticed that there's a convert region to new region , I'll check that out later as well.

thanks for the help

I tried the bounce in another place and it did work but the resulting region was generated as a stereo region, well I just didn't like the flow for what I'm trying to do , although I did learn that I can use this if I want to print an effect on a region, sparingly handy.

I just want to add silence to the end of a region so that I can extend it to an complete set of measures, so just add silence.

What I ended up doing was that I auto punched in some silence and then joined the two regions i.e the original region and the adjacent silent region.

I checked out the insert silence between locators functions but that seemed to want to do it globally and I only need to do it on a specific track.

There are two separate Repeat Region/Events commands.

The new one in Logic Pro X 10.1 is a quick way to repeat and is assigned to Command-R as default. It will not do the trick as it will automatically paste a copy immediately at the end of the original region.

The old one has a few more options. It is unassigned by default as of 10.1 but you can find it in the Edit menu or assign a custom key combination. It's called: Repeat Region/Events Multiple Times...

That command will offer you a couple of options but I don't thing it will help you as your region is longer than a bar in length.

but if the region is not of the right size i.e. a complete set of bars "repeat region" will results in regions not aligned to the grid and of course notes not in the right place in time

Not at all. It's different to looping a region. You choose the frequency i.e. beat, bar or current subdivision. The repeats will align to your choice. Very useful in combination with anchor points i.e. offsetting a region start point.

• 2 weeks later...
but I don't thing it will help you as your region is longer than a bar in length.

Oops missed that bit of information and I missed your post as well Eric (didn't see there was a page 2). Think I'll avoid posting from my phone again. :)

It'd be a good feature request i.e. an option to repeat a region every two, four or eight bars etc.