Garageband jam packs loops & instruments on external dri

solrac

Can I store all my garageband jam packs loops & instruments on external drive?

I have jam packs 1 - 4. This is 20GB of loops and instruments that MUST be installed on my internal macbook pro drive, which is only 80GB

I will be almost out of space if I do that.

Isn't there a way (even if not supported by Apple) to get this stuff on an external drive and STILL have the correct indexing / sorting in the loop browser, and have the instruments available for tracks in logic?

Thanks!!

Welcome to the forum.

You can store your loops on an external drive, but I'd leave the instruments where they are. Besides, the loops are the majority of the taken space by far.

To store your loops on the external, drag them to the external and delete the originals. Then drag the originals over the Loop Browser. It should prompt you something along the lines of "Copy" or "Index" and you'll want to select "index."

Please wait to try this until someone else chimes in because it has been a long while since I did this and I don't want you to be missing any steps.

Hope that helps.

X

Logic pro crashes on startup 100% of the time now.

I suspect the reason is that I upgraded to 10.4.10 (required for iPhone)

GarageBand does not seem to have the ability to give you that message that says "reindex" or "copy". It automatically copies anything you drag into its loop browser to your internal drive.

I can't try in Logic Pro because it won't launch.

I wonder if I can downgrade to 10.4.9 again. Now that my iPhone is activated and synced up, I probably don't need to sync it to my mac again for a long time. By the time I do 10.4.10 and Logic issues should be fixed.

The fact that:

1) It's very difficult to figure out how to get your loops on an external drive

2) Horrible organization of loops in the file system

3) IMPOSSIBLE to put the 10 GB of sample / instruments in an external drive; they MUST be on the internal drive

4) 10.4.10 seems problematic w/ Logic, and I heard this from a couple of pro musicians too before this happened to me

Is a horrible shame on Apple's part. This really sucks.

I even tried reinstalling Logic to no avail.

I did not need to downgrade to 10.4.9.... somehow my prefs got corrupt and deleting them fixed the Logic crashing issue

BUT -- back to the loops on external drive question

There is no such dialog saying "index" or "copy". Both Logic and GarageBand BOTH automatically copy to internal drive on dragging into loop browser. :/

any ideas?