Negative Midi Latency since Update 10.2.1

ollysses

Hi,

Since the update to LPX 10.2.1 I have a negative latency when recording midi tracks. When I play+record a midi instrument on the click (say I'm accurate) Logic will record the midi notes almost a 16th too early (at 120 bpm). It is as if Logic wants to compensate some latency but heavily overdoes it.

I have this problem in my quite large orchestra template so I testet it also with a plain default song: There it doesn't appear. But as soon as I instanciate and connect some Vienna Ensemble Pros the negative delay happens.

I tried already everything with the audio and recording settings but that didn't help. Audio is not affected btw. it's just a midi problem.

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Oliver

For me, it's not that big but very noticeable when playing a midi instrument like Kontakt, before the update it was very tight, and the timing was perfect. I have deleted the plist, updated all my plugins including Kontakt and EW play. I guess I will wait and see if there is a fix coming in shortly. :(

The same thing happens to me but when using an external Midi instrument, in this case the Nord Piano. I have hooked it up via USB channel 16 (no other instrument is using this channel) and opened a song I was working on. Huge delay while playing a midi recording. The pianoroll shows everything perfectly quantised so no issue there.

I did check all the previously mentioned settings and mine were exactly like that:

- multithreading playback & live tracks

I also restarted my computer, switched off/on the Nord etc, no changes, still a playback delay.

When I create a new project and record the exact same part on the exact same Nord Piano and then play it it does not have a delay. The original recording of the song where I want to add the Nord Piano part was also created and recorded with 10.2.1.

This to me looks like a bug in the fresh 10.2.1 update...

as per my post

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=122279

i have the same problem but assumed its because i was on 10 .9

obviously its more widespread.

i upgraded to 10.9.5 and it was still there

trashed my preferences and it went away... but logic was unusable with menus not working and the inability to Quit.. so i went back to 10.2.0

i posted feedback to apple and a representative got in contact with me a few days later.to ask for a suspect project. Hopefully they will do the same for you.

Leyton

I think the issue is still there with new projects I create.

I tried setting a delay on the click instrument - e.g. I found out that a 70ms delay worked well, and made things recording in time, so hey - a workaround!

But no! The offset seems to be ticks based, not absolute in sample terms. On another track, where the meter is quicker and the tempo different, 30ms seemed to work better. So you can't just set an absolute delay on the click and it will fix it for you. Something is definitely broken here.

I do not know if you noticed, but in 10.2.1 they finally got full UI latency compensation. This means that what you see is slightly different, and might be initially confusing because of our habits.

Biggest change: when there's audio latency, when you record MIDI events, they are now placed where they should be: i.e. on the Playhead line, exactly matching what you hear coming out of Logic in that moment. This was not the case before.

So, from what I understood, in 10.2.1 you should consider the following 2 cases:

CASE 1 - Mixing your hardware synths externally

if you are externally mixing your hardware MIDI synth with the audio coming from Logic (i.e. you use external hardware mixer, or even just the built-in hardware mixer in your audio device), and you have some plugins in the Logic master adding latency, then you will have to:

- make sure that "Preferences>Audio>General>Plugin In Latency Compensation" is set to All

- make sure your MIDI track has "Delay" set to "Auto Compensated Delay Offset"

If you do not do so, of course your MIDI track will be played early respect to what you see on screen (to match the plugin delay).

CASE 2 - Mixing your hardware synths through the Logic audio engine

If instead your external MIDI synth is going to be mixed inside logic (example: through an aux/bus/input audio object), then you do *not* have to set the Delay parameter to "Auto Compensated Delay Offset"

The considerations above solved what I initially thought was a MIDI timing issue (it was not). Hopefully they do the same for you!

Nard

Sorry, but that is just silly arguments.

If you record stuff (MIDI) according to the metronome, and everything you record will be early, GRAPHICALLY. Which means OFF BEAT, that is just dead wrong. This is the most silly defending of software (or Apple) I have yet to see. So now, I should just get a new HABIT and accept that nothing is on the grid/beats anymore? How would that work for an orchestra? Just let them have everything placed 1/8th of a beat early, they will do that no problem! Works very well for copy/pasting, moving stuff around, works great in your head too - you just have to remember that everything is compensated for you visually, so everything is placed too early, but it WILL play on the beat because of plugin comepensation or something... lol....

This takes the prize 8)

If you record stuff (MIDI) according to the metronome, and everything you record will be early, GRAPHICALLY. Which means OFF BEAT, that is just dead wrong.

Absolutely, but that's not what I saw in my case. Everything here was properly aligned when recording against the internal (klopfgeist) metronome. Playback was aligned too (I was mixing externally), once the "Auto delay" setting was used on the track.

Out of curiosity, in the example you made, were you recording listening to the klopfgeist metronome, or were you using a MIDI metronome sent to some external synth/module/slave?

Thanks!

Nard

Sorry, but that is just silly arguments.

:?:

Nardae is trying to help you out. There's nothing "silly" about that.

As he points out there has been a huge change in the latency compensation department.

What happens if you create a new project from scratch with only one EXS instance. Do you experience the same misplacement?

What does your MIDI input chain look like?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...