Finding K-2000 patches in LogicX

ieshea

Back again.  I finally got the Quartet and MidiExpress connected and the K-2000 playing a drum track in an old file with help from Sweetwater Tech support.  But they don't sell or support Logic anymore, so I'm here to go on to the next step.  NOW, I'm confused as to how I get all the other patches/channels playing from the K-2000 to each original midi track in Logic.  

I will power it all back up tomorrow 7-20-17 and be ready to try again.  Thanks in advance.

No, not quite sorted out yet, thank you for your reply.  Yes, it's the K-2000 and an sc-88 while I'm here...  I am trying again today, and made a template of all K-2000 tracks.  And, I made a different template with K-2000 and sc-88 tracks.  I have old files I want to finish up with the original sounds from these 2 modules.  I copied tracks to the template to the midi file, one at a time, because loading the midi file itself, Logic automatically substitutes instruments and I don't want that.  I have the new template with the 6 tracks I pasted in but no sound output.  I think I have to make an audio track for each one and record the instrument to an audio track.  Or at least that's what SW tech support did with 1 track last week, but then I was lost as to ...track 2.  I can't get my brain around how to patch the right K-2000 instruments to the appropriate tracks.  So... I'm going to try again now and I'll be looking for any input from you.  Hopefully I'll report back with good news.  Thanks.

I haven't used my k2000r in a while just had to fire it up again, I'm a little rusty so I apologise in advance if I go over stuff you already know and have set up, just trying to cover as many possibilities setting this all up, or my advice is just plain not helpful. I've used the exact capitalisation of each section and button to try and make it easier to understand. The program section is where most of the setup takes place. There should be two up and down arrow buttons to the left of the display that say CHAN/BANK use these to change midi channels when the program button is lit, what channel your on should be in the bar on the top right corner of the display.

Most programs in the kurzweil can have up to three layers (drum channel has 32), you can assign different key ranges across your keyboard for each layer or have them spanning the range for layered sounds. To choose what key range you want, if you want single sounds playing on certain octaves or keys of your keyboard, in PROGRAM, hit EDIT>LAYER the first option should be LoKey : C0 then underneath HiKey : C8, use these two options to select the range.

When in EDIT mode of the program section instead of what midi channel you're on in the bar on the top right corner of the display, it changes to Layer : 1/3 if it has three layers, use the CHAN/BANK up down arrow buttons to switch layers in edit mode. You can select which sound you want for each layer in the KEYMAP section.

k2000 only has one drum channel which can have up to 32 layers instead of up to three like the rest. By default this is set to midi channel 10, but you can change it by pressing the MASTER button and on the first page set the DrumChan setting to which channel you'd like.

Setting the output for each midi channel, once you have selected your sound for that midi channel, with program button selected, press EDIT, first page should be the algorithm page, use the right side more button to scroll until you see OUTPUT, (should be two presses). On the output page you should see something like Pair: U:A(FX) then a pan control and L:A(FX) with a pan option too.

This lets you select which outputs you are sending that program too, the outputs are A:(FX) which are the main outputs, so if you have your k2000 set up only using the main outputs going into your soundcard leave it on that option, the fx part is the k2000 in built fx section, which only work via the main outputs. The B:(DRY), C:(DRY), D:(DRY), are the other six outputs, three pairs, I'm assuming here your keyboard has the extra output card fitted, think the k2000R had it as standard.

Using the pan control in this section selects whether you want to use stereo, or have 2 mono outputs. Once you've made your edits, you can scroll over using the more> buttons to the save menu, or if you hit EXIT the k2000 should prompt you to save all your changes.

In logic hit the add arrow and select external midi then select use external instrument plugin tick box, select the input of your sound card the k2000 is coming into, press create. In the external instrument plugin on the new channel you created select the midi channel of the sound you want to play on your k2000.

To record the sound set up an audio track, choose the sound card inputs you have the k2000 coming into in the input section, check input monitoring and record enable if you want to print the audio before a main bounce, output should be already set to output 1 + 2. When bouncing with external hardware, synths etc, use the realtime mode as offline only includes internal sources, you can record all your hardware synths before a bounce and use offline mode.

I may have made a few mistakes in all this as I'm in the box now and it's been an age last time I set this all up, but still have my synths. You can use the audio midi setup app in osx to setup your external midi and audio routings that are then available via core audio in logic, this is well worth exploring (lots of info on here about this) when using external synths, midi routers and more than one soundcard. If you need any clarification as I tend to ramble on, I'll be happy to try and explain myself better, hope this helps.

rolls !!  Thanks, man.  First, let me say... OMG!  WUT?  I'm copying and printing all this out.  Thanks so much.  I think I need to start at the 2nd to last paragraph that starts: "to record the sound setup on an audio track,"  that's where I think I'm at.  I somehow got an instrument playing and recorded it to audio track when the SW tech support guy was on Team Viewer.  I rather did it again today and had most of the tracks recorded to an audio track.  I think the tech guy said that the patches/instruments coming thru are 'automatic?'  I fiddled with it but don't know exactly what happened pos I'm no help there.  

But NOW before we go any further... I did something that damaged the file or something.  I was playing it back for someone to listen to, and when we hooked up the other set of headphones, the file somehow got trashed and it's all reverie.  I think maybe I turned off the K-2000 [and the sc-88 which I never did get to come thru]  and either after plugging in headphones or turning off the external kbd/mod the file was trashed.  I powered down and back up again but it's still trashed.  I looked around for a global reverb that could be turned off but nada.  It was all going pretty well until then even though i didn't have all the correct K-2000 patches.  I'll have to print out your info, thanks so much for taking the time, and go thru it tomorrow.  I tested a completely different Logic file and it seemed to play OK, so I guess it's just that file, not a terribly big deal, but a day lost doing it.  

So, now... did I blow up my brand new Quartet I've never even used yet?  Do you have a clue what happened?  I have also not used the K-2000 in probably 15 years since I was all set up... 1998... more like 20... too bad.  So, I vaguely recall what your info says but I never got that in-depth with it.  I just brought up the patches on whatever channel in Cakewalk, and it all played.  Now I'm trying to get each instrument on a different audio track, not the entire K-2000 instruments all on 1 track.  So... I'll go thru your info and see if that gets me where I need to be... 

In the interim... what do you mean, you're in the 'box?'  Should that scare me?  Thanks for the kind reply.  Feel free to respond.  I'm sure I'll be here toiling away, and probably sending the Quartet back for repair.  8-/  

I made a few mistakes in my first reply and waffled on too much, typed out two long replies this morning and afternoon then thought no, I've gone off on a tangent again and made things harder than they should be. First though, don't send back your sound card as I don't think it has a problem, might be wrong, but I think the reverb sound issue might be down to routing of the audio. I've found this video, as I was going by memory yesterday and missed a few important things out, so check this out and try it out before you send back your quartet.

@gnapier

My reply went south once I relied on my memory, had the kurzweil in front of me for the first bit.

@ieshea

Was going to ask you if you still had the manual for the k2000? as I found it had a learning curve that resembles a sheer cliff face, an amazing synth though once you dig a little deeper, it nearly broke me learning about its complexities, as I was new to synthesis back then.

When I said in the box, it just means I'm mainly using my mbp for arranging, mixing and recording, I'll use my ipad as a control surface and connect it via the lightening cable for sound, very compact and portable, but I do miss sitting at my desk and playing with the synths and samplers, don't miss floppy disks, contorting my body to fit in small dark places to plug something in and making notes for all the stuff that isn't recallable.

Thank you so much, rolz!  i printed out your first instructions this morning.  I do have the K-2000 manual but I'm too brain damaged to follow it.  I just need a quick patch up here.  I will look over your video in a few.  I'm glad you are not in jail.  I was thinking 'the box' might be that, so I was thinking of sending a nice treat from ButterMaid Bakery!  8-)  I'll print out the new messages and see if I can follow et al.  Thank you so much!  I'm prone to being too wordy with my communications, so, not to worry about that here.  When my brain is ready for the next step, I'll try again.  So please don't go too far away... if you don't hear back right away.

Yea!  MusicTechGuy!  Perfect.  Exactly where I'm at.  I do best with pictures, thanks.  But I can't see what's in the boxes, it's blurry, and he goes so fast... I'm stopping, and trying to translate what he has to what I have.  the tech guy at the store got the audio/midi screen up and hooked up the modules via that software, I don't recall the name, audio utilities or something, you'll know.  And Just checked the wiring again, I have mini in and out of the MOTU midi express to the K-2000 in/out and out #2 on the MOTU to the SC-88.  The USB Quatro to the MacPro and the audio outs from the Kurz to the ins of the Quatro.  I used the red/white RCA to stereo quarter inch cable I had on the cassette player out to MacPro in, for the SC-88, but maybe that's not going to work since I was not able to get any sounds from it.  It only has RCA.  So, I 'assumed' that cable would work at least even temporarily.  But maybe I have to have the dual RCA on the sc-88 end and 2 mono inputs for the Quarto?  In any event, I think my breakdown now is still on the pull down menu to set up the instruments playing from the K-2000 and sc-88 thru Quatro into Logic with the right instruments on the right midi tracks, so we're close... I never did get that in-depth with the K-2000 as you mentioned.  I just used the patches that were in the screen... except for a couple I used from a disk, I wouldn't know how to do that now.  And the HD is full of sounds I never heard.  So... if you have team viewer, i have it and you can take a look and i'll be all set to go, if you want to do that.  Thanks so much again.  I wish I could offer someone help in return but I'm fresh out these days... back on the other end. again. 

@gnapier

Agreed, this place is a fantastic resource and friendly place for all things logic, usually my first stop off point when I'm stuck on something.

@ieshea

I've got to do a show later, but after I'll post some screen grabs, go through some stuff and correct a few of the mistakes I made, as I was going by how I'd set up my external rig in logic 9, but it might be handy to see and understand where I went wrong, as it was simple things I should of picked up on, for troubleshooting in the future, it's always the simple stuff that catches me out.

Way!  Show?  Where?  I printed everything out but some contracts and interest are primo today.  I plan on getting to it again tomorrow.  You are the best I can't thank you enough, so stay tuned please.  Say if your can do a great job on a song, someone wants a new demo of my screaming' hot gospel song, probably a country version.  Can you do? If so, how much?  I'm trying to do band in a box tracks but ? not panning out, pun intended.  So glad i have Logic to throw it into for much editing.  I loved ver 9 but updated to the current version.  Thanks again.  I'll look for your next reply.  [Yeah, I get so confused on the simple stuff, too.]  Thx!

I’ll start with the audio midi setup app, it comes with mac os and has a small keyboard for an icon, it’s very handy for managing everything connecting in and out of your mac. As you mentioned that you had help setting this up with the rep from sweetwater it will all be in place still, few things i’ll go over with you, incase you want to add extra midi devices in the future.

When you open it first screen is usually the audio devices screen, to switch to midi studio, which will manage all your connected midi devices, go to > window > midi studio or press cmd and 2, you should see something like the screen grab underneath.

audio_midi_example.jpg

If you get a new midi device, keyboard or midi controller hit the rescan midi icon, which i’ve labelled number 1. If it doesn’t show up you can add it manually by going to add device, giving it a name and entering the maker and device model, selecting midi channels you want it to work on etc, i’ve labelled add device number 2.

The beauty of using the audio midi setup app, is once you set it all up it will show up in all your audio apps that use core audio and core midi as discreet options. In the app you can also create an audio device using multiple sound cards, ios devices and the built in io from your mac, give it a name, then be able to select it as a core audio device, like how you would your sound card.

In logic when you want to use your k2000 and sc88, first set-up a external midi track, click on the “use external instrument plug-in’ check box then select your options, i’ve included a screen grab underneath.

external_midi_example.jpg

The pull down menu on the left side, which I’ve labelled number 1 is where you’ll select your sound card inputs that the k2000 is going into. On the right side the top pull down menu called ‘output’ is the midi out from logic, here you’ll select your motu midi express, I’ve labelled this number 2.

If my memory is correct as I have an motu midi timepiece but I’m slightly high so if I get this part wrong, forgive me, here though, if your midi express has got 8ins and 8outs, you should see something like midi express port 1, port 2 through to 8 or something similar. If you have your k2000 connected to port 1 on your midi express choose that one or which ever port you’re using. You should then see an arrow at the right side of the option box you click, that will have 16 midi channels and an all option, here is where you select which midi channel you want to use on your k2000. The all option will transmit on all midi channels.

The pull down menu underneath, that might say ‘output 1 + 2’, this is the routing for logic, I’ve labelled this number 3. Here you can select where the audio from your k2000 goes after it comes into logic, output 1 + 2 will just be your main output, you can also select to route it to a bus.

This is where I made a mistake on my first long reply, as I advised you to set up an audio input on the external midi track, then create a separate audio track using the same input too for monitoring, both would of played at once and caused issues. also forgot to mention setting up the midi output, my apologies.

After you’ve set your external midi track up you should be able to hear and play your k2000, to capture the audio and bring it into logic set up an audio track. On the input pull down menu, left side, is where you’ll select the input of your sound card that your k2000 is going into, I’ve labelled this number 1 in the screen grab underneath. The output pull down menu (number 2) can be set to no output as you don’t need to hear it, as it will interfere with the sound coming in and going out from the external midi track(s). I’d check the record enable box, but from the video earlier he didn’t select it. Just make sure when your ready to record, that the R box (next to mute and solo) is lit, should come on automatically when you select a track.

audio_example.jpg

You can use this audio track to record everything you’ve got coming in from your k2000, just do it a track at a time, solo the external midi track you want to record, you might need to solo the audio track too, make sure the R box is lit on the audio track when you record. After you’ve got the audio, create a new audio track, make sure this time it has no input selected and the output set to output 1 + 2 and drag your newly recorded audio to it, rinse and repeat for all your individual parts from the k2000/sc-88. Im hoping I haven’t over looked anything this time as I don’t have any external devices connected to double check.

With the way you have set up your audio routing, you would have to set up an aggregate device in the audio midi setup app (this enables you to use multiple audio sources), as at the moment if you’ve only selected your sound card as the output and input device in logic, it won’t recognise the mac audio in, which is why you can’t hear the sc-88. Also if your RCA cables are the type with thin black wires, they probably aren’t shielded, they will pick up interference (extra noise) from power cables, other e.m fields around your studio.

If you have spare inputs on your quatro defiantly hook your sc-88 up to them. Have you got any RCA to jack adaptors around your studio, if you have some good studio jack leads I’d probably go the other way and get a jack to RCA adaptor, if you’re feeling really adventurous you could make your own if you have a soldering iron. If you only have two mono inputs on your sound card to hook up the sc-88, you could make three audio input channels, first two mono (single channels from your sound card), right click on the pan in the inspector on each (where your fader and fx live to the right of the arrangement) and choose stereo pan, pan one all the way to the left and the other to the right.

Send them both to the same stereo bus as an output, then create a third stereo audio input channel and select the bus from the two mono’s as the input and record from there, bit convoluted but some sort of work around, if your sound card has its own mixing desk software maybe use that to set it up, skip using the 2 mono ins in logic, thats only if the sound card has mono ins spare.

I don’t have anything like team viewer or skype on my mbp, as it’s my main studio machine and I don’t want it to catch herpes, but I’m open to using a carrier pigeon and hand drawn notes, I’m just being cheeky so ignore me, one last thing if I was in prison and you sent me food and cake would you hide a metal file inside it, so I could saw through the bars and make my escape?

The show I did yesterday is just an internet radio thing, nothing fancy, keeps me out of trouble, in regards to mixing the music I make is more on the experimental side of things, I've never mixed anyone else's track as my mixing chops leave a lot to be desired. There probably will be a few on here though that mix for a living and more importantly, know what they're doing, if I had more skills and confidence I'd be happy to take your money and do something great in return, that would put a smile on your face. 

Way.  Can I possibly thank you enough.  today I got caught up with the copyright office and tonight is ancient Aliens.  I've read this over and will print it out to go thru the steps realtime, hopefully tomorrow.  You certainly rock!  As does our moderator, David Nahamani.  His valiant leadership attracts educated, friendly, helpful people las noted above.  And yes, if you were in jail... I'd send a ButterMaidBakery Kolachi or 2 or 3.  They are just the right size for a file and saw, IF they'd make it to your cell.  The guards would probably eat them all first.  But they'd certainly find the file and metal saw tightly wrapped in sedan wrap as not to germ up your roll.... or is it rollZ?  ! 

It's just rolz with one l, which is a shortened version of my name, was going to go with young rebel malcom, but thought, what if I'm still doing this when I'm in my 40's, that name will lose its meaning by then, so I played it safe. If I ever find myself in prison I'll send you a pm and await my package, have to bribe the guards with a tray of iced doughnuts, for when they see me scampering across the exercise yard late at night, then scaling the fence, they won't raise the alarm. Btw if you're meeting with ancient aliens, just make sure to wear a chastity belt, they can get a bit fruity with their probes, be firm with them or they won't respect you. Let me know how it goes, hopefully I've not made to many mistakes in my explanations.

LOL!  The llZ was probably this automatic spell-corrector.  How do I turn that OFF?  I finally gave up and just let it go.  RE: age... you may be thinking differently when you get older.  8-)  My mother cut her first, and HIT, BTW, CD at 90 years young, and it's STILL getting fan mail!  So, it sounds as though you may be Jewish, Malcom?  I carry the Star on my Medicine Pouch.  As for the aliens... I am one.  Grounded, of course.  And I was a volunteer for the Galactic Regeneration Project.  All my Kidz are up in the ships.  I wouldn't do THIS to anybody!  I tried putting up a website for my StarKid support work when computers finally came out, but the technology was not up to speed yet.  I waited all this time for it, and how that it's here, I'm down for the count, as you can tell.  The websites were trashed by ? and now I only have my cliff notes up there so I don't forget, or... for when I totally forget... what I was going to do.  StarKamp! and Foster the Light are just 2 of our 1987 inception projects that may come up if you google without putting more unrelated/off topic info here [hoping David doesn't reprimand us - having so much fun] at tarajories.com then/ - So, I need to get this setup working to get back to those for the Kidz that are also here.  Apparently you are one... Indigo.  I can't thank you enough for your help.  I'm really under the weather again today for some reason but I'm going to do that tomorrow no matter what.  Many blessings....  And don't worry about jail... we'd just have you beamed out.  8-) 

Where did the time go. I was reading the instructions last evening, ready to try again, and my [music] partner called to discuss the master we're working on.  I'll be out all day tomorrow.  But it's first on my list, so please stand by.  I totally, appreciate your input and have the print outs ready to rock n roll.  Thanks again.

ROLZ ~ [auto spell checker won't let me type your name correctly- how do i turn that OFF?]  OK, SO, following step by step,  have screen shots because you'll never follow this in a description.  

1. I can't get that midi setup screen to come up no way.  Screen shots 1, 2, & 3.

2. Bring up Logic, External Midi > External Midi Instrument Plug-in.

My last try I was attempting to set up the SC-88 so what was showing was input 3 and output SC-88 but no output yet where I apparently quit or put it back because it's patched to output 3 & 4, so that where I put it this morning.  More screen shots, 

Rechecking the working, I have an RCA r/; out of the SC-88 to 1 stereo 1/4" jack into the Quartet input #3, for now unless I can get a different patch cord.  This is a heavy shielded one I use for cassette out when I'm transferring old songs into the Mac for digitizing.  I noticed cords to this new gear are the thin ones, since you mentioned... wouldn't expect that.  

I triple checked all the wiring and the K-2000 mini is in #1 and out #1 with a #2 out to the Sc088.

Screen shot 4 will show Input 1&2 which I changed it to, but now the OUTPUT ports only show ports 3, 4, & 5.  ?  Where is 1, 2, & 3.  I rather recall them being there when I first tried this.  

For this attempt, I chose port 3, then the next > box that comes up from that, I just chose 'all' for now and - since it's not showing up properly, and thought I'd better just come right here before I'm screaming and crying, again, with all this BS that should have been set up by the place I bought it.  So, screen shots 5 and 6, and here we all are again now.  I hope you are still out there.  Sorry for the delay but I'm suffering brain injuries besides all this other stuff going on and have to do stuff when my brain is able, in between putting out all the other fires... demo is in process pre request so that is taking precedence except I need this gear set up so it's my usual quandary.  Thanks so much for helping out.  A little high?  Wish I could...  So, now I don't know how to add the screen shots....  both drop downs for images and attachments come down with a url requirement.  These are on my desktop.  How do I get those in here?  NOW I'm screaming and crying.  Yes, a girl here, with TOO many tech issues.  I HATE this stuff.  It has literally trashed my writing career.  All I did with that PC was battle the junk that didn't work.  Then I got the Mac and did my Mother's entire CD on the mini in 2009.  Now I'm back to constant tech support again.... ?  What happened after Steve died?

Apologies for not getting back to you in the last couple of days, I've been struggling with a 96khz project, that's refusing to bounce, even though I've printed most the tracks down to free up ram and cpu. Bit stumped, but get the feeling it will probably be one fx that's playing up while bouncing.

Your moms story is very inspirational, as it's too easy to become jaded as you get on, always nice to see people still doing their thing, especially in their 90's, at that age if I'm still around, I'll just be looking forward to zipping around on my anti-gav mobility scooter.

I was watching the disclosure project playlist the other day on youtube, so I was thinking about life outside of big blue when you posted about watching ancient aliens. Also been pondering what sort of consequences will unfold with the rush for a.i, machine learning, transhumanism, singularity and the like, which got me thinking about ray kurzweil and the k2000, although I think he had left the company by the time the k2000 came out, very forward looking synth though.

In regards to steve jobs, one of the things I appreciated the most about what he bought to the tech industry was simplicity. I've noticed feature creep in os x which is mainly of no use to me, turn some things off like gamed in terminal, but every time I go back to snow leopard, it's just beautiful how simple and fast the os is, quick look lives up to its name. Do love how logic has developed though.

I'm using el captain so I'm not sure what's changed on the audio midi setup app in sierra, in el cap, when you load the app, just go to the window menu, show midi studio and that screen will pop up, but yours should be already setup so I wouldn't worry about it for now, just use it when you get a new midi or audio device.

Just read a bit of the manual for the sc-88, few things to make sure of is you're using midi input a and also output 1 with the computer switch set to midi. Output 2 is disabled at factory settings, also if you're just getting audio from the right channel of the outputs, try plugging the cable into the left side.

In the external midi box, that sounds right, input 3 from the sound card for the sc-88 and output sc-88 which will carry the midi to it. If your not getting sound make sure the box underneath output is going to your monitors, (should default to this), check to see midi activity. What it might be, if I've understood what you're saying about the way you've setup the sc-88 is having audio coming out of the right channel, on the k2000 if you just want to use mono or one channel you plug it into the left channel of the outputs.

If you don't mind me asking a few questions just to clarify a few things, is your sound card the apogee quartet, if so are input 2 and 4 spare or are you using them for something else, is the k2000 working with logic?

Sorry to hear about your brain injury, having problems getting everything set up will test anyone's patience, so hang in there, I'll try and keep my tangents under control but my mind wonders at times. I've not used an sc-88, so I'm not sure about its setup, had a quick look at the manual online though, btw don't worry about the name auto correct thing, I can't stand the way mine tries to all caps things like os x ios and puts a capital on company names, plays havoc with my typing, but is convenient for the start of sentences, as I like lower case a bit too much.

For posting images, I had a mare the other day, as the sequence of images was getting jumbled, I used this service in the end https://postimg.org upload it there, on the upload completed page, copy the direct link web address (is the second one down) then paste that into the images url box on here.

If you want to post big images that scroll, make sure your in the full editor and preview comments box, instead of the quick reply one and look underneath the comment box where the options are, switch the tab to attachments, add your file and select post inline.

Thanks, ROLZ, still won't let me pu it in lc.  I was 'sensing' we were on the same page with all that aliens stuff and not surprised your up to speed on the disclosure project.  'They' whoever that really is, are supposed to bring all to Light this year... but they've said that before.  Sorry you're having trouble with your 96kHz project.  Just pop in with a 'I'll get back to you later' or I'm out of the picture for now... if you're too busy.  I'll probably have to take this to SW anyway.  There is no port 1 2 3 like I said just the 4 5 6.  

I'm using the Apogee Quartet.  I assumed that's what you meant by sound card thought I haven't used one of those since that soundblaster thing years ago.  I guess there's something stock in the computers now.  

I have an 8pm appointment, not sure how long it will last.  I read thru your post, so... not sure I can understand how to get the screen shots up but that midi screen does NOT come up.  It's nowhere in the mix.  You'll see.  Then you can tell me what I did wrong.  Later....  Thanks again.  You are really rocking' you know that.

Yeah every time I said sound card I meant the quartet, if you're not using the other inputs I'd wire up the k2000 to audio in 1+2 and the sc-88 to 3+4. If you mean you can't get the first screenshot from my post, audio midi setup, midi studio thing, it's a separate app, that is in the utillities folder, which is in the applications folder of sierra, has this logo and is called audio midi setup, once you open it go to window then show midi studio.

IMG_2613.jpg

I'll be able to help you more with screen grabs, so I've included how I uploaded this picture with a few images underneath, done this on my ipad should be similar on mac. First go to https://postimages.org then upload your screen shot, if it's a large image before you upload, choose the box that says do not resize my image and pick either 640x480 (for message boards) or 800x600 (for 15" laptops). After that you should get a screen like below, copy the text from the direct link box, easiest way is hitting the blue logo to the right of the box.

IMG_2615.png

Put your cursor where you want to place the image, hit the insert image icon then in the image url box paste the web address text you just copied. You can also drag and drop images from your desktop or use the attachments tab, then add files, included a screen grab of that underneath. I use the external method for multiple images in a thread, I'd like to see your screen grabs to get a better handle on what's happening, instead of going through a list of what it could be.

IMG_2617.png

Will this 'link to the gallery' work for all 6 images?  If not, I'll post them 1 at a time as you explained above.  THANKS.  

https://postimg.org/gallery/3ajroj6eu/  

Yes, I do have the K-2000 patched in to input 1&2 and the sc-88 in 3 with a stereo 1/4" jack that come out of 2 RCAs in the outs of the sc-88.  

No, I can't get the midi studio to come up.  I went to utilities>audio midi setup and it was there somewhere the other day, but I can't get it to come up now. ??  I blew the s#!+ UP!  No doubt.  You'll see when you see the screen grabs.

Ok try this again, everything looks fine from the screen grabs, I can see the audio midi setup app on your dock, midi is all set and the audio is set too, sliders might need adjusting a little though.

Screen_Shot_3_2017-08-02_at_11.49.43_AM.png

On this screen in the audio midi setup app if you select window, midi studio should be the second option down, unless this has changed with sierra. This will bring up the page you see on the right from my post. Everything is already set up here though, this is just for future reference if you need to find it. On the screen grab above I'd set A Inst 1 & 2 in the master stream section to the same level as this will be the kurzweil inputs, try 16db for now just under where you have A Inst 1 set, we can turn these up or down later. I'd set A Inst 3 to the same level this should be the sc88, maybe leave the master slider where it is as I'm not sure if it's needed, but if you still don't get any sound after you go through what follows underneath maybe turn this up slightly too.

Screen_Shot_4_2017-08-02_at_12.12.18_PM.png

Concentrating on setting up the sc88 on the page above, why micro lite port 1 & 2 aren't showing is they've been renamed kurzweil and sc88, you can do this too for micro lite port 4, 5 & 6 if you connect more external synths in the future. To setup the sc88, on the left box choose input 3, right top output box choose sc88 and select the midi channel you want or choose all if you just want to get it setup quick to test. Box underneath that, set to output 1 & 2, when you hit create you should hear a sound when you play your midi controller, if its low, try turning up the A Inst 3 slider a little from the first screen grab, maybe try that master slider a touch too, not sure how the quartet works in this regard, check to see if you're getting level on your quartet led's.

If this is working fine to set the kurzweil use input 1 & 2, output kurzweil and choose the midi channel or select all, box underneath output 1 & 2, if this works we'll move on to setting a audio channel for recording.

just reading the first paragraph, yes, that keyboard came up on my dock and the window at the left of the screenshot is all that would come up.  the midi screen does not display.  the box to the right of the screen showing the midi is your screenshot and instructions copied into pages for my printout, and to follow along online, since my printer was out of color ink and would not print the screens.  it's like total breakdown here.  i wish you were in the area so i could just hire you to come here and get this handled.  i hope the fires and toxic smoke out there are not near you.  so... i never fond that midi hookup screen again/yet.  ?  and the ports 1- 2 -3 are missing from the list.  ?  i'll read the rest of this and reply thereafter.  my swat team sent me 'We are Living in a Simulation, New Evidence' on youtube.  Check it out.  I'm hoping to change all these tech issues via the new theory of everything, and other things that need changing, too.