Can I "Select Track" via Midi-Controller & Key Command ?

Sebmo
Go to solution Solved by Jordi Torres,

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot for this solution. It works for me. But what I am trying to do is to select the Master channel. This is the place where I have all my VST's. The reason for this is that I am trying to bypass all the plugins by using two Midi CC. One to select the master and one to "Bypass all plugins". It seems that the solution above does not work for the master channel itself. I know that I can create a premaster using the same effects chain....If this is the only solution I can understand

Hi vutan,

vutan said:
It seems that the solution above does not work for the master channel itself

I think you mean your output channel (please see here: Use output channel strips in Logic Pro).

Anyway, it will work if you have a track* in the Tracks area for your output channel. You can quickly create one for it by toggling on an automation mode in the mixer.

*EDIT: Actually, it's not necessary to have a track in the tracks area for the output channel for this to work.

J.

Yes, I am referring to the output channel. Well, the channel is in the tracks view. But when I assign the channel strip number to the channel selector in the controller assignment, nothing happens. If I place the previous number (normal audio channel), it works. But I am discussing here about the main Login output Track (which you can hide using shift+command+M) Edited by vutan

So I found the problem. It seems like I had some other aux tracks which were not on the track list. I tought that the number in front of the traks is the channel strip inedx but in reality it is not. So the number for my master channel was not the one shown in the track list. I don't know weather this is a bug or not. In my opinion the track number should be the same as the channel strip index. And anyway if you add a new channel, the channel strip indexes are changing. It would have been a good idea to somehow define "fixed values" for the indexes

Hi vutan,

vutan said:
And yet another problem: when I select for the fake controller, the input midi port of my Real controller: Mpk261, it works to select channles but I can no longer send the midi notes to logic. So when I press the actual keys, they are not received.

That's actually the expected behavior with Controller Assignments. The MIDI commands you use get "hijacked" by the assignments. A quick way to get them back is to use the Bypass All Control Surfaces command (Logic Pro menu > control Surfaces > Bypass All Control Surfaces, or assign a key command to "Toggle Bypass All Control Surfaces" in the Key Commands window).

vutan said:
So I found the problem. It seems like I had some other aux tracks which were not on the track list. I tought that the number in front of the traks is the channel strip inedx but in reality it is not. So the number for my master channel was not the one shown in the track list. I don't know weather this is a bug or not. In my opinion the track number should be the same as the channel strip index.

The index comes from the position of a given channel strip in the mixer. And actually I just realized you don't really need a track for the output channel in the tracks area for this to work. I will edit my previous post. Sorry about that.

J.

Jordi Torres said:

Hi vutan,

The index comes from the position of a given channel strip in the mixer. And actually I just realized you don't really need a track for the output channel in the tracks area for this to work. I will edit my previous post. Sorry about that.

J.

Well, is there a way to address the last mixer channel ? I will always have the output channel at the end. something from code programming: "-1" means the last position from the table :-P

Hi vutan,

vutan said:
Well, is there a way to address the last mixer channel ? I will always have the output channel at the end. something from code programming: "-1" means the last position from the table :-P

Another way you can approach this is to be more specific and set your output channel assignment's Channel Strip parameter to "Output" instead of "Index":

756852200_Screenshot2021-11-21at12_42_38.thumb.png.fabe0eac23db9698f56a74150bdddcf9.png

J.

Is it possible to select also a specific channel from the current fader bank? I am trying to do this but it seems like it is selecting the channel from the first bank and not the current one. In the template message they are using the fader bank though. The reason is that I have multiple channels (around 50) and only 25 buttons for selection in my controller.

It could be that there's conflicting (multiple) assignments active for the same control... Do you have your views setup so you can see the control surface bars showing the "active" bank ? Looking at your screenshot, the highlighted assignment should select the first track in the bank, maybe you expected it to select the 7:th ?

JakobP said:
It could be that there's conflicting (multiple) assignments active for the same control... Do you have your views setup so you can see the control surface bars showing the "active" bank ? Looking at your screenshot, the highlighted assignment should select the first track in the bank, maybe you expected it to select the 7:th ?

The label was wrong in the channel name. Anyway look at the recording. The bars ar shown on the left with white color. After I press the control it jumps on a random track...

The controls are not overwritten because I also tried deleting all the other assignment zones. It's like it thinks there is another fader bank active. But the control faders are working fine within the active bank. Only the select has problems. I think the select does not take into account the fader bank update. It still considers the first one

Screen-Recording-2021-11-23-at-19_06_17.thumb.gif.61c1bfb93448550fc1753e707d4f28e9.gif

Maybe it makes no difference, but what if you create a zone for your mpk261 and place the assignments in it ? Not sure how you got them all placed in "no zone" ? Also, a preference that could be involved here is "Control Surface Follows Track Selection" in preferences under "Control Surfaces". Is the mixer set to "Tracks" view ?

Maybe it makes no difference, but what if you create a zone for your mpk261 and place the assignments in it ? Not sure how you got them all placed in "no zone" ? Also, a preference that could be involved here is "Control Surface Follows Track Selection" in preferences under "Control Surfaces". Is the mixer set to "Tracks" view ?

I placed also in the Specific zone but the same result. "Control Surface Follows Track Selection" is checked. Also I saw another preference: Fader touch selects channel. This also is not working. The mixer is in the tracks view:), For me looks like there is a different fader bank for each of the controllers

Jordi Torres said:

Hi vutan,

Another way you can approach this is to be more specific and set your output channel assignment's Channel Strip parameter to "Output" instead of "Index":

J.

Hi Jordy, or anyone else who can help me.

In stead of using my Midi Notes to change Track I would like to use a #CC number.

I can change Tracks with Midi Notes (C0, C#1 etc) But I cannot change tracks by using a Control Change CC number. In my setup I wanna use Control Change#3.

So in stead of entering 18 for key C0, but what should I enter If I wanna use CC#3 for a certain track?

If I type in CC#3 I see the following: Note Ch1, Program Change Ch 13, 3

And if I press the CC#3 it does not change to the track where I assigned CC#3 to.

I think that I entered the command for CC#3 wrong but I am not sure.

Below 2 screenshots.

1986385534_Screenshot2021-12-01at11_11_59.png.8ac6ea55fc93cbcc453e1777a2de6324.png

359459721_Screenshot2021-12-01at11_15_19.png.87cb66389b0c246928607bd4abaf88a5.png

Hello. First of all please consider that the values that you enter in the box should be in Hex number format. If you want to use a midi controller key as CC, this should be configured in the controller itself. I see that you are using an ipad. Not really sure how this can be done. If you succeed in setting the keys as CC messages, when you learn the key in Logic, it should automatically assign the correct values. In my case it looks like this: B0 03 Lo7