Anyone else having problems with control surfaces in L8?

ptbarnum

wouldn't you know it, the weirdness continues.

i quit logic to see if it would recall the control surfaces on a relaunch:

it doesn't see them anymore....but they still work as controllers, they have no displays(the CS's) but the transport controls and jog wheels on the mcu pro, and tranzport still work in logic...

funky no?

so,

someone on the apple discussions forum said that he was experiencing the same thing on his macpro with an ensemble as his interface..

He thought it might be an apogee driver thing (as logic would see the mcu pro when the ensemble was off)..i don't feel like pulling out my symphony card to check thoroughly, and I'm cool with the ad hoc thing for now, but i'd love to have the full functionallity of the mcu back

so,

someone on the apple discussions forum said that he was experiencing the same thing on his macpro with an ensemble as his interface..

FWIW, I'm having the exact same problem as the person you're referring too. From my email to Apogee support:

"Based on the threads I'm reading on the Logic 8 forum on Apple's site, and the thread on LogicProHelp.com, I know at least one person has contacted you with this issue. My Mackie control surfaces are not scannable (and therefore unuseable), in fact, the scanning feature to add control surfaces manually into Logic 8 is completely disabled with the Apogee Ensemble on (clicking on "scan" does nothing). This is not so in Logic 7 on the same computer with Logic 8 installed.

Turning off the Apogee Ensemble restores the normal functionality of the Control Surfaces Setup in Logic 8."

I thought it was the driver for my AMT8 at first, but no, everything points to the friggin Ensemble as the culprit here. So, I guess Il'll wait to see what they say.

ptbarnum, have you had any sucesss?

Ummm, this is odd, if satisfying.

The MCU's I scanned and setup when the Ensemble was OFF are now available and functional with the Ensemble on.

The only thing I did was quit LP8, open up LP7 and work in there for awhile, and then open up LP8 again. To my surprise the MCU's fired up.

I'm usually pretty thorough in my troubleshooting, so I definitely had open and closed LP8 with the Ensemble on and off to make sure it was the problem in the chain, several times, as well as restarted the G5 twice, so it definitely was not working correctly before I posted last.

I have no explanation for why opening LP7 would make the MCU's show up in LP8 with the Ensemble on.

Hopefully this is helpful to someone.

I haven't quit LP8 or restarted the Mac since I discovered this because for a few blissful moments I actually want to use it. :D

If on quitting and relaunching it stops working, or if I get any helpful info from Apogee I will post again.

Thanks to all who have posted on this issue.

Free

No progress here, just waiting for either apple or apogee to release a fix

Thanks.

I heard from Apogee this morning:

Yes, we are aware of this issue. As you mentioned, the workaround for now is to power on Ensemble after launching Logic. We are looking into this issue and will address anything that needs to be changed on our end in the near future.

It seems to be working for me this way now.

Free

• 2 weeks later...
Separate issue once you get your control surface set up, does it behave strangely with aux's created off of multi instruments?

I don't know as I quit using LP8 infrustration last Friday and went (happily) back to Logic 7.2, for several more bug reasons than kjust the control surface issue, but I woudln't doubt that it probably does. Once I had the control surfaces working, several other problems creeped up, some of which are documented here by myself and several other users, check it out:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/logic-8-special-one-month-forum-new-release/144986-must-read-any-control-surface-users-mackie-control-universal-logic-8-a.html

Good luck. I'm staying in Logic 7 for the next couple months, at least.

Free

• 3 months later...

Just for my 2 cents in case anybody searches this forum for Frontier Tranzport issues.

The Frontier does work REALLY well in Logic 8. All though I have experienced times where it does not get recognized. so I just open:

Settings > Control Surface> Setup > Double Click on the Tranzport > Move to the left where the Tranzport Midi input and output are located (they allready say Tranzport in and out. But if you pull down the drop down box and click Tranzport again Then the Tranzport will start working.

But for the most part Logic 8 is the first DAW that works really well with my Tranport and I purchased it the first week it hit the store shelves. It set in a drawer for close to 1.5 years before I could use it with anything. But it was worth the wait I love it now.

• 3 years later...
for the DM1000 I had to go to the controller setup page and add manually, then setup the actual Yamaha ports since it's USB. Then add another channel strip only version for ch 9-16.

Does anyone know how to do this quote above in Logic 9? I don't get this result the manual explains "When you open Logic Pro, the DM1000 device is installed automatically. You should see two DM1000 icons in the Setup window, aligned horizontally."

I see only one and when I try install both from the list of available controllers, I get " no more device IDs available". So that makes me think that the above quote from Guavadude is a possible issue. Any ideas? The Yamaha DM1000 shows up as "DM 1000" and "DM 1000 Channel Strips only". Since I only have one icon installed, moving automation on track one moves faders 1 and 9.

Argh!

OK, I assigned the ports for each DM 1000 icon in the setup page of the Preferences/control surface/setup, section. The first DM 1000 icon was set to all ports not allowing another icon to be added. Now this is working well. Wow, this makes mixing automation so much easier in Logic. Duh!

I hope to be able to automate effects that are on board the Yamaha for live performances from triggers planted on Logic's time line. Is that a possibility?

But, I have a problem with fader 15 on the Yamaha. I'm almost certain its the fader itself that needs replacing but to be certain I have to ask if the Midi out in Logic is normally always transmitting (note) 1 C-2 127? If I open a new blank song, the midi out is always showing the note as being transmitted. Is this normal?

• 9 years later...

To answer my own question, 9 years later, it appears active sensing is the continuous data being sent and is labeled as a C7. This is part of Yamaha’s SysEx Exclusive system at work.

Ad rem: Logic X isn’t making life easy; the DM1000 does work as a control surface but not for 16 channels. You have to select the first or second group of 8 channels on the arrange page by clicking on any of them in the arrange page. Then the faders on the DM1000 will control Logic’s faders. 9 years ago I had this working where all 16 worked. In the setup page for control surfaces, I made sure each of the two DM1000 icons have their own separate midi transmit and receiving channels. any ideas on how to get channels 9 thru 16 on the DM1000 to control Logic without having to click on Logic’s channels 9 - 16?