Error Initializing CoreMidi

Dannnymac
Go to solution Solved by volovicg,

I have been getting an "Error Initializing CoreMidi" message when I start up Logic Pro X - but intermittently. I've rebooted and restarted numerous times, most often with the message, occasionally it works but with no rhyme or reason. :( Frustrating.

I have deleted and re-installed logic... I'm just lost now an was hoping a kindly ninja in here might be able to help me solve this?

Thank you!

Have you tried the usual troubleshooting rundown?

I did try these, now, yes. That was a great list I wasn't aware of though, thank you! I had instinctively tried most of them already but tried the rest now. No luck. Interestingly, the logic error even occurred when logging in under another username. Not sure what that means, but maybe someone here will?

What MIDI drivers have you installed?

I'm not sure how to check this?

Thanks guys!

D

• 1 month later...

Hi, so I had this repeated error as well and finally trying the suggestion to set a new configuration in the midi studio *seems* to have fixed the problem. As someone pretty new to all this, though, I'm hoping you can explain *why* that fixed the coremidi error? Did the previous configuration file get corrupted somehow? In my case, I'm using Logic Pro X on a brand new MacBook Pro with an Audient iD22 interface and Korg Minilogue midi drivers.... Do installing such drivers sometimes corrupt config files?

Thanks in advance!

• 5 months later...
As far as a solution to this problem. Well, the so-called Logic Pro X technicians really are doing a lot of guesswork. To think that I spent thousands of dollars on a computer and then hundreds of dollars with Logic Pro X and get a run around like 13 blind soccer players on a field kicking a ball that never reaches a goal. So far my impression of these guys, they can't even run a bath. ( Spoke to 4 Technicians already) I have been hours and days trying everything because of this update 10.4.6 has been a real nightmare. I am going to try now to go back to the previous Logic Pro X before this update. Hopefully, that will fix the problem.BTW. My iMac is only 3 years old. I have had this problem going on 1 month and a week so far and now no Audio from my keyboard sounds.

So I learned on another forum that the problem is caused by a hard coded timeout in Logic Pro X for initializing CoreMidi, and that with the most recent versions of OS X, CoreMidi takes significantly longer to load than with prior versions of the OS. Considering how many professional musicians use Macs and Logic Pro to get stuff done, it is absolutely appalling and unforgivable that Apple hasn’t fixed this problem yet. It’s a totally known issue. I suspect it’s a politics issue of the Logic Pro team pointing to the OS X team and saying it’s their problem to fix, and the OS X team pointing to the Logic Pro team and saying they should just remove the hard coded timeout limit, and neither team is budging.

So for now, those of us experiencing this problem must always remember to first open Audio Midi Setup, then go to Window / Show Midi Studio and let it fully initialize and display all the midi drivers, and then—and only then—load Logic Pro X. And when that doesn’t work, reboot and retry that sequence.

The product teams at Apple should really be embarrassed.

The Apple team are just passing the buck and what assurance, it will get worst on the next upgrade if they can't fix this one. Sad day for all musicians out there This is scary. Lifes a Bitch and then you marry Logic Pro X? “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” As the late Wayne Dyer said. Instead of looking at how others treat you, measure how much time and energy you put into your relationships. That’s the only thing you can control. My experience is that when you make time for the people that matter to you, the relationships improve. And if they do not, the relationship was probably not meant to be. We simply have to move on. The real lesson here is that we always must focus on what we can control.

The Apple team are just passing the buck and what assurance, it will get worst on the next upgrade if they can't fix this one. Sad day for all musicians out there This is scary. Lifes a Bitch and then you marry Logic Pro X? “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” As the late Wayne Dyer said. Instead of looking at how others treat you, measure how much time and energy you put into your relationships. That’s the only thing you can control. My experience is that when you make time for the people that matter to you, the relationships improve. And if they do not, the relationship was probably not meant to be. We simply have to move on. The real lesson here is that we always must focus on what we can control.

Remove any Korg drivers you have. Korg has an uninstaller for this on their site. And enjoy trouble-free operations after!! One of the poster has a Minilogue so a Korg driver is installed on his computer. Since I uninstalled the Korg stuff, I don’t have any problems and Logic starts twice as fast as before.

Blink

Well, Blink, the culprit was Korg Drivers and I unhooked all my Nano Korg Kontrol series, pad, key, and mixer. Which I never used anyway. But still, my Korg 01W/fd is not working with my audio sounds of my old keyboard. I hate to get rid of it causes I like some of those old sounds for composing and why should I? It worked for me for 19 years without a problem. I tried to hook it up to the use of external midi. Not one input or output would work. Until I find a way to get my sounds back in audio channels. I guess I am stuck with logic pro sounds. Anyway, you were right about the quick uploading of Logic. Thanks

Well, Blink, the culprit was Korg Drivers and I unhooked all my Nano Korg Kontrol series, pad, key, and mixer. Which I never used anyway. But still, my Korg 01W/fd is not working with my audio sounds of my old keyboard. I hate to get rid of it causes I like some of those old sounds for composing and why should I? It worked for me for 19 years without a problem. I tried to hook it up to the use of external midi. Not one input or output would work. Until I find a way to get my sounds back in audio channels. I guess I am stuck with logic pro sounds. Anyway, you were right about the quick uploading of Logic. Thanks

Have you tried connecting your Korg 01W/fd through a MOTU MIDI interface?

Hi, Blink. I am connected through my Motu Midi interface. I've been watching every youtube video out there on how to hook up an external synth. The sounds of my Korg just won't sound. I know the synth sounds work when I plugin directly in my synth with headphones. I just can't figure out the missing piece. It somewhere, but where is it hiding? I even bought the M-audio interface and connected 01/Wfd direct to my iMac.That didn't work either. Oh! well, I just have to keep on searching. Maybe I will fall upon the solution one day. Thanks for your suggestions.

Does your MOTU or M-Audio interfaces appear in your AMS app?

If not MOTU, requires some drivers installation. If proper drivers are installed it should be in your AMS.

If not, check your MIDI cables reliability. And check they are also connected properly (between the 3 components).

If so, when tapping on your Korg keyboard, is there any activity showing up in Logic's (MIDI In) LCD?

Also, make sure that you use the corresponding MIDI channel between your MIDI interface (and keyboard) port and Logic.

Well, Blink after 5 weeks of nightmares and 4 Logic Pro X technical so call experts. You finally opened the right door for me, with getting rid of my Korg drivers. That was the trick. I also found a way to get my 01/Wfd synth sounds to work via external midi. Now the only thing left is to hope there are no more surprises. BTW I see you live in Montreal. I have been there many times with my parents. My father was French and of course, I speak fluently as well. Live at Côte-Des-Neiges. Have a great day and truly MERCI.