New iMacs released today by Apple

Also, what would I do with my RME FF, which is USB 2?

you'd keep using it, as we all do with usb 2 devices on newer macs (in this case, with a usb A-to-usb C adapter). simple.

i keep looking at the maxed-out 21"... but prob going for a (maxed-out) macbook pro. the MBP is only about $200 more (when i compare what i'm looking at); not bad, in that respect...

Meh.

Really? An i9 with 64 GB is "meh" to you?

Crammed in the same case with a 580X yes.

Even the iMac Pro's run hot and they have significantly better cooling.

Seems like the same mistake they made with the 15" MacBook Pros - keeping the same enclosure and cramming too much heat and old architecture in it.

The 21" model is a bit meh for music production, imo. Then again, I am on a nice, 4ghz machine with 32 gigs RAM. I hope I get 2-3 more years out of it. The connectivity issue may be what makes me turn to the Dark Side.

That model is not one for serious music production.

iMac is not for serious music production. If you throw thousands in speakers and acoustics to have a computer blowing fans in your face you're doing it wrong.

In every other regard is as serious for music as the 27". 6-cores i7 is plenty, as is 32GB of RAM. (I should know, I have it in the Mini, for serious music production, that's not blowing fans in my god damn face). Saying that 32gb 6-core i7 is not for music production is downright ridiculous, I can throw 100track projects at my mini and it's yet to choke...

That model is not one for serious music production.

iMac is not for serious music production. If you throw thousands in speakers and acoustics to have a computer blowing fans in your face you're doing it wrong.

In every other regard is as serious for music as the 27". 6-cores i7 is plenty, as is 32GB of RAM. (I should know, I have it in the Mini, for serious music production, that's not blowing fans in my god damn face). Saying that 32gb 6-core i7 is not for music production is downright ridiculous, I can throw 100track projects at my mini and it's yet to choke...

i hear the fan on my macbook pro... sometimes, and mostly, when i'm exporting my mix. so, i get my work done... as do people using imacs for serious music production. but i'll let them know you said it's not ok....

i hear the fan on my macbook pro... sometimes, and mostly, when i'm exporting my mix. so, i get my work done... as do people using imacs for serious music production. but i'll let them know you said it's not ok....

he said serious music production, my point was that "serious music production" bar can be set at various points, and that the bar he set at "21inch is not enough" is just as arbitrary as "iMac is not good".

In a 100% professional studio you won't have a piece of hardware contaminating the environment with noise, which means iMac is not a question.

On the other hand, if you're making beats, mixing less resource consuming projects or not doing the finest touches at the end or don't even have professionally treated space, it's very likely going to be great.

Try doing mixing ambience in film post production with fans making ambient noise for example. Or don't. Rather, don't.

I do not hear the fan on my iMac, specs in signature, when I am recording. The only times I hear it is when I am either playing Civilization VI, or rendering video in iMovie. I expect that is the graphics card, not the CPU. This computer is plenty for music production, but I don't do 200 track movie productions. I remember when Logic 8 came out. My first Intel machine was a DuoCore 17" (I think) with 2 GIGs RAM. worked fine, as long as I froze tracks. Now, that computer would be completely inadequate for LPX, and the last few versions of OSX. I still have it, and installed 10.6 on it.

No one is addressing the connectivity issue. What am I to do with 2 Thunderbolt ports? Everything in this computer goes in via either USB2 or USB3. I have a €1,300 RME FF802, works great on USB2, surprisingly, so. I am not going to toss that because Macs have become incompatible with it. Same with my MIDI controller.

he said serious music production, my point was that "serious music production" bar can be set at various points, and that the bar he set at "21inch is not enough" is just as arbitrary as "iMac is not good".

In a 100% professional studio you won't have a piece of hardware contaminating the environment with noise, which means iMac is not a question.

On the other hand, if you're making beats, mixing less resource consuming projects or not doing the finest touches at the end or don't even have professionally treated space, it's very likely going to be great.

Try doing mixing ambience in film post production with fans making ambient noise for example. Or don't. Rather, don't.

you're hearing fans a lot more than some of the people i work with (and, as i mentioned, i sometimes hear the fans on my macbook pro, when exporting a mix); fans! yet i'm doing 'serious music production'...

it's 2019, not 1999. what defines a pro? i'd say, anyone who does pro work, whether it's in a big studio, or someone on an... imac, making a living....

I do not hear the fan on my iMac, specs in signature, when I am recording. The only times I hear it is when I am either playing Civilization VI, or rendering video in iMovie. I expect that is the graphics card, not the CPU. This computer is plenty for music production, but I don't do 200 track movie productions. I remember when Logic 8 came out. My first Intel machine was a DuoCore 17" (I think) with 2 GIGs RAM. worked fine, as long as I froze tracks. Now, that computer would be completely inadequate for LPX, and the last few versions of OSX. I still have it, and installed 10.6 on it.

No one is addressing the connectivity issue. What am I to do with 2 Thunderbolt ports? Everything in this computer goes in via either USB2 or USB3. I have a €1,300 RME FF802, works great on USB2, surprisingly, so. I am not going to toss that because Macs have become incompatible with it. Same with my MIDI controller.

am not following. you plug the RME into a usb A>usbC adapter, and get to work. new macs are not, by default, incompatible with usb2 devices.

Most studios have machine rooms... Also you guys are missing my point entirely

What are you going to do with 2 Thunderbolt ports? For example, connect an 8-port fullspeed USB3.0 hub to it. :D

To me connectivity issues seems more like *lack of thunderbolt ports* not the fact that it has them, besides, it has 4 USB3.1 ports, just like the previous model. What is the issue?

you're hearing fans a lot more than some of the people i work with (and, as i mentioned, i sometimes hear the fans on my macbook pro, when exporting a mix); fans! yet i'm doing 'serious music production'...

it's 2019, not 1999. what defines a pro? i'd say, anyone who does pro work, whether it's in a big studio, or someone on an... imac, making a living....

Yes, my initial point was that if you claim that 21.5" is not adequate for serious music production (as asherking stated) then neither is the 27", because the fact that it cannot be tucked into a machine room is just about the only thing that's problematic with it either of the models, and if the 27" is, then so is the 21.5".

I have no idea what a usb3.1 input is. This computer does usb3, but the input jacks are the same as usb2 jacks. I suppose I'll blow up this bridge when I get to it. The only peripheral I have that is actually usb3 is my TM drive. My RME, Novation sl61mkII, Superdrive, camera, are all usb2.

I have no idea what a usb3.1 input is. This computer does usb3, but the input jacks are the same as usb2 jacks. I suppose I'll blow up this bridge when I get to it. The only peripheral I have that is actually usb3 is my TM drive. My RME, Novation sl61mkII, Superdrive, camera, are all usb2.

All USB-A ports are backwards compatible.

you can plug an USB2.0 interface into a USB3.1 port that's on the imac.

Also, you can use a firewire adapter and connect it directly to Thunderbolt2 port.

Thanks for the info. I'll bear it in mind when I need a new computer, which, I hope, will still be a couple of years from now. If the T2 issue is resolved by then. I assume Apple is not going to continue using Intel chips indefinitely. I've been using Macs since university, 30+ years ago. I'd be upset if I had to give up on their machines.

Most studios have machine rooms... Also you guys are missing my point entirely

What are you going to do with 2 Thunderbolt ports? For example, connect an 8-port fullspeed USB3.0 hub to it. :D

To me connectivity issues seems more like *lack of thunderbolt ports* not the fact that it has them, besides, it has 4 USB3.1 ports, just like the previous model. What is the issue?

Yes, my initial point was that if you claim that 21.5" is not adequate for serious music production (as asherking stated) then neither is the 27", because the fact that it cannot be tucked into a machine room is just about the only thing that's problematic with it either of the models, and if the 27" is, then so is the 21.5".

i personally am not claiming that the 21" isn't adequate for music production... which makes the 27" a god.... i have a collab on a 21", doing pro work, and 2 friends on 27"imacs, who do pro work. the game has changed, but the quality of the work is, as always, what matters most, whether you're on a macbook air... or a mac pro.

i personally am not claiming that the 21" isn't adequate for music production... which makes the 27" a god.... i have a collab on a 21", doing pro work, and 2 friends on 27"imacs, who do pro work. the game has changed, but the quality of the work is, as always, what matters most, whether you're on a macbook air... or a mac pro.

no, asherking was. i answered a hyperbole with another one to example how ridiculous it is

Must admit, i don't use MacBooks or iMacs due to the noise and restricted ventilation. During summer months they are noisy, even on a modest project - i used to actually feel sorry for my MBP when running Logic in summer as it would be gasping away.

In fact, my projects are tiny compared to many i see on here. I've always used a Mac Pro which sits behind the racking in it's own space (And break my back each time to turn it on lol).

So i'd always go with something like the Mini i7 vs an imac. Despite the imac screen looking lovely.

An i5 iMac is going to be cooking most of the time surely?, but those 6 cores do look quite powerful vs the previous i5 imacs i've tried. The Core2Duo machines put me off owning future ones to be honest, they would always overheat, GPU issues, HDD issues etc.

Must admit, i don't use MacBooks or iMacs due to the noise and restricted ventilation. During summer months they are noisy, even on a modest project - i used to actually feel sorry for my MBP when running Logic in summer as it would be gasping away.

In fact, my projects are tiny compared to many i see on here. I've always used a Mac Pro which sits behind the racking in it's own space (And break my back each time to turn it on lol).

So i'd always go with something like the Mini i7 vs an imac. Despite the imac screen looking lovely.

An i5 iMac is going to be cooking most of the time surely?, but those 6 cores do look quite powerful vs the previous i5 imacs i've tried. The Core2Duo machines put me off owning future ones to be honest, they would always overheat, GPU issues, HDD issues etc.

noise? my macbook pro (2015) sometimes runs the fans, mostly when exporting audio (so not when i'm working); cypher 2 sometimes causes this, too, to be honest. but 'summer'? i generally work indoors, and there's (wait for it)... air conditioning. or a fan.

i have no problems working on a macbook pro (& it's ideal for me, as i need to be mobile)

FK, with the greatest of respect, not everyone lives in the US and therefore have aircon as standard. I appreciate it's more/less common in different countries, but where i am it's not a popular thing to have in homes. And a fan doesn't cool anything down in regards to computer equipment, it just moves the air round.

And yes, my MBP gasps throughout the summer months, and i can't work with it like that - infact not used it for audio in years because of those reasons. I've had imacs that have just died on me due to heat also, although they were all pre-ssd so guessing the temp is better in them now with less moving parts(?).

So while you don't suffer with the issue, i have done int he past. If i didn't have the issue, i'd be considering a newer MBP or imac today - as it is i'm waiting out the new Mac Pros - all the cheesegraters i've had are bulletproof in all seasons, very quiet and can be hidden up out of the way! :)

..They do start to wobble with age though. lol

FK, with the greatest of respect, not everyone lives in the US and therefore have aircon as standard. I appreciate it's more/less common in different countries, but where i am it's not a popular thing to have in homes. And a fan doesn't cool anything down in regards to computer equipment, it just moves the air round.

And yes, my MBP gasps throughout the summer months, and i can't work with it like that - infact not used it for audio in years because of those reasons. I've had imacs that have just died on me due to heat also, although they were all pre-ssd so guessing the temp is better in them now with less moving parts(?).

So while you don't suffer with the issue, i have done int he past. If i didn't have the issue, i'd be considering a newer MBP or imac today - as it is i'm waiting out the new Mac Pros - all the cheesegraters i've had are bulletproof in all seasons, very quiet and can be hidden up out of the way! :)

..They do start to wobble with age though. lol

ok, i hear you. but... what year is your MBP? just curious. my 2015 runs the fans sometimes, so i get it. meanwhile, my limo does not have AC, so when i work there, it is sometimes a problem... :mrgreen:

ok, i hear you. but... what year is your MBP? just curious. my 2015 runs the fans sometimes, so i get it.

2012 13" i5 and a 2014 15" i7 that i got later thinking it was gong to be better, but sold the 2014 as the GPU was more problematic with noise/heat. Took that money and ploughed it into a Mac Pro which has been superb.

meanwhile, my limo does not have AC, so when i work there, it is sometimes a problem... :mrgreen:

It's ok, you can enable the hydraulic lifts in the suspension to bounce some air through i'm sure. Grrrrr.. you americans and your fancy gadgets.. and limos, and fans and stuff!! *shakes fist*! :)

The 2018 15" i had ran fans when i basically opened logic.

The 13" is manageable, but in the studio that i'm building where i poured money into silent ventilation, and near non-environment control room design, i don't want a fan cramping my style. Mini will either sit in an isolation closet or in a storage room outside control room.