Disk I/O issues on long recording (with high sample rate and track counts)

mruebsam

I do orchestral recordings with high end equipment (Millennia, Prism Orpheus, RME, ...).

After a while (about 20 minutes) I can see "spikes" in the Disk I/O meter. This gets more and more and latest after 90 minutes there are so many spikes that the recording will be interrupted. (It helps to stop the recording and hit record immediately after... but this method costed me some tones on the last recording). This happens on all computers (in the studio we have 2 Mac Pro (trash bin) with 10 Cores 3 GHz, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB ssd, two graphic cards) and for location recordings we have a MacBook Pro 13", I5, 2,3 GHz, and an old MacBook Air.

It doesn't make a difference if we record with the Prisms connected by Firewire/thunderbolt or with the RME M32 AD pro via AVB. We record typically 24 to 32 tracks in 96 kHz. This should be less then 10 MB per second :-(

Do you have any ideas? I have Mac OS 10.14.3 and the latest version of logic (10.4.4)

Thanks, Marcus

This happens on all computers (in the studio we have 2 Mac Pro (trash bin) with 10 Cores 3 GHz, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB ssd, two graphic cards) and for location recordings we have a MacBook Pro 13", I5, 2,3 GHz, and an old MacBook Air.

My guess is that all drives are SSDs.

Does the same thing happen with external 7200 rpm spinning drives?

Hi,

@Atlas007: not step fo step. But yes.

@triplets: internsten question: I tried it on three different ssd and on on one 7200 rpm HD. It's always the same. in the beginning hardly no disk I/O load and after about 30 minutes suddenly there a the spikes and after about an hour it's getting really risky....

@extremmixing: I really don't want to start this discussion here. However our recording are commercial and the client is expecting it. Our last project will be blueray surround.

@Jakob: We always record with caf format. Otherwise you get stucked with the 4 GB limit...

I found following solution: High track count recordings are pretty much trouble free with waves tracks life or boom recorder. Today I made a test with 100 tracks running at 192 kHz. --> no problem. However I ran out of Diskspace :-))

Wave tracks can safe the files as caf, which can be really easy imported in logic.

However I find logics implementation of the recording engine poor :-(