Logic Pro 11 Audio Units [Concept]

aviorrok

That's what makes me think Alchemy is the new EXS.

I don't think so. Alchemy is a synthesizer, albeit one that can do some quite sophisticated things with samples, and they just added the ability to import EXS instruments rather than only raw samples and Soundfont mappings.

The EXS is still the primary sample playback platform for EXS-format instruments (a format which is used widely across the Apple audio platform), and yes, it's simplicity is one way is a strength, but also a pain, as some simple things are difficult to do. I agree that I'd like a better tool for working with simple samples (like Ableton's Simpler), and a more powerful tool for dealing with multisampled instruments (although with Kontakt as a ubiquitous platform, I'm not sure where it should go).

I can only imagine that replacements/updates are in the plan for all the old non-retina plugins, but that plan has taken a long time to work through - that's the price I guess of a small development team and a long list of tasts and priorities.

You've got to think though that some final reimagined sampler system with a significantly improved interface and other functionality (I still require Keymap Pro to do any serious sampling work) would be a *large* feature and so would likely come in a major new Logic version, not just pushed as a point release. So I guess we'll be watching for 10.5 to see what that brings...

I agree, but I’m only citing what I’ve seen in my observations. It’s not something I wish for. Going by demand it should have been one of the first things to get an overhaul.

Again we will know for sure once they release the last batch of updated plugins. If there is no EXS by then, I’d say it’s not happening and Alchemy is it’s replacement.