EXS24 Relinker application

ValliSoftware

Here we go:

http://www.saschafranck.de/Logic/ValliDrums.zip

Haven't even opened the zip file on my MP, so it's as genuine Snow Leopard / L9 as it get's.

Thanks so much.

I was able to read the EXS just fine.

1182062305_abletoread.png.beed93f8359420a435014d855ed3ce45.png

I reset to point to my computer.

1031755760_resettomycomputer.png.472bddf6b9b65348c4acf561b758d11e.png

Then I started Logic and was able to play the instrument.

Again, thanks so much. :mrgreen:

I used to use Redmatica's EXS Manager to re-link samples, so I'm looking forward to trying your app to see if it helps. This has been an ongoing issue for EXS for years though up to recently it seemed to have been solved. Thank you for making the app!

I get problems with EXS24 finding samples that are in the audio music apps/samples folder. eg I just bought an older library from Big Fish Audio called 'Synth Explorer - SH101' and on my Macbook running 10.12 three of the instruments had problems, showing the orange alerts and just saying 'Samples' in the editor. On my 2008 Mac Pro which is running 10.9.5 I never get this problem. I still use Redmatica's Keymap on the 10.9.5 computer (one of the reasons I still use 10.9.5), but I've had to stop using it because often EXS intsruments I've created in Keymap, when moved over to the 10.12 laptop will have the "Samples' error (the samples themselves are always stored in the Audio Music Apps/Samples folder on the laptop).

There is an issue where, in some cases, the EXS can't find samples, but then basically trashes the referenced sample name (hence you see "Samples" as a generic placeholder).

In these cases, I don't think anything will fix them once broken as the sample names have been lost (verified by looking at the modified EXS instruments after this has happened.

(If you keep the earlier versions before the sample references get trashed then those can be fixed, but if you don't have an earlier old backup, you're out of luck).

This seems to be a more recent issue as I've not seen it crop up in the past...

Hi guys just found this thread very interesting as im reporting very frustrating issues with opening exs24 instruments that I ve created before to install the latest Logic 10.4.7 and OS Catalina Update.

I place before, that the issues im having seems not be for misses instrument pathways folder or samples location, as I keep these samples on local folder (as they re just drums I use to use quite often), and the exs24 instruments in the original path folder "Music/Audio Music Apps/Sampler Instrument", but it seems " Permissions " problems that sound to me as a very annoying bug, that I ve already reported to Apple.

The Issue is that I can't load the exs24 instruments cause It seems to be unable to find the samples or can't get the permission on the folder/file as It show me the messages I l post down below.

https://ibb.co/C9QbZtp

https://ibb.co/sVYsj9V.

Couple weeks ago I was able to fix this trouble just changing manually the permissions of the folder where the samples are located, but now the problem seems to be back and there's no other explanation to me as I didn't touch anything in the files/folder.

So here I am trying to find out if this happened to others and if maybe this app that you're developing might be useful to solve these issues or I ve just to wait for further updates by apple.

Thanks

Hi guys just found this thread very interesting as im reporting very frustrating issues with opening exs24 instruments that I ve created before to install the latest Logic 10.4.7 and OS Catalina Update.

I place before, that the issues im having seems not be for misses instrument pathways folder or samples location, as I keep these samples on local folder (as they re just drums I use to use quite often), and the exs24 instruments in the original path folder "Music/Audio Music Apps/Sampler Instrument", but it seems " Permissions " problems that sound to me as a very annoying bug, that I ve already reported to Apple.

The Issue is that I can't load the exs24 instruments cause It seems to be unable to find the samples or can't get the permission on the folder/file as It show me the messages I l post down below.

Couple weeks ago I was able to fix this trouble just changing manually the permissions of the folder where the samples are located, but now the problem seems to be back and there's no other explanation to me as I didn't touch anything in the files/folder.

So here I am trying to find out if this happened to others and if maybe this app that you're developing might be useful to solve these issues or I ve just to wait for further updates by apple.

Thanks

Ok try this: go to the Sample instruments folder and rename the "Kick" folder you have. Like "Kick2".

Then create a new folder called Kick and move all samples from "Kick 2" to "Kick".

Restart Logic and see if that works

Thanks

Can you zip and post OZ_Hat.exs. Just zip the EXS file, I don't need the WAV files.

I just want to see where the audio path is set to in OZ.Hat.exs.

Ok try this: go to the Sample instruments folder and rename the "Kick" folder you have. Like "Kick2".

Then create a new folder called Kick and move all samples from "Kick 2" to "Kick".

Restart Logic and see if that works

Nope It was one of the first thing I ve tried !

BUT

I found a solution .. almost accidentally , when I was trying to re-upload one by one the samples into the exs24 zones by clicking "Load Audio Sample ^F" on the first missing sample, I saved and restart Logic ... and THERE IT IS ... The instrument is now loading correctly and all the others samples in it were playable again ... so I repeated this procedure loading just the FIRST (or just One(?) missing sample for each instruments and saving exs24 and restart logic and I was able to fix every instruments that earlier didn't work.

Now I can't figure out why before It couldn't load the instruments if the path of the samples, as i clicked on "Load Audio Sample" , was already known and it was exactly the folder where they are supposed to be, even because I ve never ever changed their place .. so it seems to me very weird this stuff as I didn't touch anything on my setup since it happened to me the first time ...

Can you zip and post OZ_Hat.exs. Just zip the EXS file, I don't need the WAV files.

I just want to see where the audio path is set to in OZ.Hat.exs

Yes, I can of course!

I will upload the remain corrupted instruments I didn't fix yet !

Thanks everybody for the answers!

Edited by lennyhard

I just want to see where the audio path is set to in OZ.Hat.exs.

Here's some of the corrupted exs24 instruments!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18QorqgwyD2nJCc8lkTsjCk2HVUrvkdyZ/view?usp=sharing

Here's the Audio Paths in each of your EXS files.

Hat_Attack.png.36a43f001eaea5969fa665e10a6b6f5e.png

Kick_Attack.png.a6c6dc4b07233721ebaa9cd938bfd1c6.png

Perc_AttackFracture.png.8c4f6ec0a6bc0173869f4d85501a8346.png

Snare_Attack.png.e6ebf0581bd57bfb311d326851f2831c.png

Also, notice this name. Perc_Attack/Fracture.exs, there's a Slash '/' in it, that's a delimiter for folders in OSX.

OMG Vallisoftware (John)!!! :shock: You’re my hero. I have so many lost locations for EXS Instruments that I tweaked from old SF2s and third party sample sets that keep coming up as “Can’t locate BsnStaccA#2pdqxyz#1” and had given up on getting most of them back to working. I can’t wait to try this out. And to offer it while going through the AppStore (which I’m sure must be it’s own headache).

I salute you, Sir! :P :P :P

• 4 weeks later...
I'm just reviewing/proofreading the HELP I just created and some more testing on the EXS24 Relinker (s) app, but the following link is the same HELP that's included in the application.

http://www.vallisoftware.com/HelpFiles/EXS24%20Relinker%20(s)/English.lproj/EXS24%20Relinker%20(s)%20Help.html

@fuzzfilth, you might be interested in the Custom INI that I just added. Makes sense since everyone lays out a different file structure.

Sorry for the delay, I'm back on this and I updated the application with a couple of more options including updating multiple EXS files. This was originally for a single file update since I had a grid view which can only view one file at a time.

Now you can update multiple files and now you can even edit the Audio File name as well but there's no syncing, that would require more code, so I kept this simple.

I'll submit this to the Apple App Store tomorrow and let everyone know once it gets released. :mrgreen:

While I wait for the app to get approved, here's a couple of videos showcasing the simple things you can do with it.

View EXS24 file info.

EXS24 drag-and-drop to update.

• 1 month later...
While I wait for the app to get approved, here's a couple of videos showcasing the simple things you can do with it.

View EXS24 file info.

Hi! Any news on this? Still waiting for Apple to approve it? :)

Also, I have one question: let's say I have 2 instruments, different names (Piano 1, Piano 2). Now let's say that the samples have the exact same name on both (C1, C2, etc), but different folders.

With this app will I be able to tell Logic that when I open Piano 1 it will be picking the samples from folder 1 and vice versa? I want to create some EXS files and I need them to use the exact same names when it comes to the samples.

View EXS24 file info.

Also, I have one question: let's say I have 2 instruments, different names (Piano 1, Piano 2). Now let's say that the samples have the exact same name on both (C1, C2, etc), but different folders.

With this app will I be able to tell Logic that when I open Piano 1 it will be picking the samples from folder 1 and vice versa? I want to create some EXS files and I need them to use the exact same names when it comes to the samples.

I got side-tracked with some other apps that I'm working on. I wanted to release a bunch of apps, but I'll look at releasing the Relinker on it's own.

As for your question.

If you have a ROOT folder and two sub-folders, FOLDER1, FOLDER2.

If the file names are unique then you would just drag the ROOT folder for both piano1 and piano2.

If they're not unique as in your case, you don't drag the ROOT folder, you'd have to drag FOLDER1 to piano1 and FOLDER2 to piano2.

When you open Logic, it will see C1.wav for piano1 in FOLDER1 and C1.wav for piano2 in FOLDER2.

I got side-tracked with some other apps that I'm working on. I wanted to release a bunch of apps, but I'll look at releasing the Relinker on it's own.

As for your question.

If you have a ROOT folder and two sub-folders, FOLDER1, FOLDER2.

If the file names are unique then you would just drag the ROOT folder for both piano1 and piano2.

If they're not unique as in your case, you don't drag the ROOT folder, you'd have to drag FOLDER1 to piano1 and FOLDER2 to piano2.

When you open Logic, it will see C1.wav for piano1 in FOLDER1 and C1.wav for piano2 in FOLDER2.

Thanks for the quick reply :)

Keep us posted then. No rush ;)

I will drag each folder individually. Basically here's what I'm trying to do:

In the past I chopped acapellas into specific notes so for example, for C1 I have like 20 vocal chops that are triggered based on velocity. That allows me to play melodies on my keyboard that will never sound the same, unless I would just program the melody and then the velocity would remain the same, always triggering the same sample.

Now, I want to keep coming up with new vocal chops, but doing that inside the EXS24 is time consuming... a LOT!

So my solution was to label each sample, for example, C1-1, C1-2, C1-3, etc... up until I have C1-20. Then the same for C#, D, etc. That would be my template, so to speak.

And when I start chopping more vocals, I just need to rename them the same way and the EXS24 would recognize all the samples, along with using your app.

Hope it makes sense :)

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for sharing, Gabe. Installed it and will be trying it soon :)

I noticed at another site that some users where having issues with certain EXS24 files.

If you run into any issues, I can debug the problem but I'd need a copy of that EXS24 file, not the samples, just the EXS24 file(s) so I can debug and fix any issues.

I know there's several versions of the EXS24 formats out there, so it looks like that's the issue..

So there is an issue with running this on Catalina.

I found that out from users and I finally have a Catalina development setup, ran the code with Xcode and found the issue.

I've fixed it but now there's other changes that I need to do as well.

I'll post an update once I'm done.

So any other developers out there, start developing on Catalina now. :mrgreen:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gabe, thanks for responding.

I am on Mojave.

I am able to relink some exs instruments, but i can never see the path below on the white portion of the app.

I have thousands of instruments collected over the years, and now i am just realizing that a lot of them can't find their samples.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Carlo