Odd Drive I/O Meter and Disk Too Slow Errors

jbDrummer

Hi,

Recently, when tracking drums, I have been getting errors like "Disk Too Slow". I have adjusted my buffer size for all high/middle/low settings with no luck. I am using a 2019 16" MacBook Pro, and there should be plenty of RAM and CPU processing power, but something is up. I found the Performance Meter. The CPU doesn't seem to be an issue. There always appears to be plenty of processing power left from the CPU meters. However, the Drive I/O meter was erratic. I was watching it playing back a project and in one instance, it was barely up (good, right?) but after pushing pause and play with the same settings and project, no apps running, it shot up and hovered between 85 - 100%. I didn't get any error messages right then, but earlier while recording.....I also notice whenever I click the mouse it shoots up for a second.

I wasn't recording any particularly high sample rates - just standard 44.1 sample rate and recording .aiff tracks. I experience the problem when the number of tracks recorded at the same time is more than 5.

Does anybody know where should the Drive I/O meter be peaking to easily record? Is there any reason why is could <5% one moment and approaching 100% the next? Is this a hard drive issue? Would bluetooth connected devices contribute to it?

Thank you!

The only things I thought were connect was a bluetooth headphone set, and an Apple Magic Mouse. The recording interface is a Behringer Air XR 16 which connected directly through USB.

I also have Final Cut installed but I’ve made sure to quit FC when recording. I don’t know if there may be background tasks running, which I’ll look into, but this seems unlikely. I really hope it’s not a SSD problem!

Hi, I had the same issue since yesterday with the infamous Disk Too Slow that I could solve today by ***changing the location of my Logic files (out of the Google Drive virtual disk)***.

I have been using Google Drive File Stream for my Logic files with no issues for years, but since yesterday (I suspect there was a nasty Google update) I had this systematic Disk Too Slow bug.

Hopefully this will be fixed by the next Google Drive update, in the meantime, relocating my files did solve the issue.

I have run a couple a comparative tests with the same Logic file being played either from my Desktop or from the Google Drive, the Disk Too Slow is definitely coming from the Google thingy. (same with the latest Logic Pro x 10.5)

I will post screen videos of my comparative tests on youtube. Cheers, diego

I just did some recording yesterday and made sure to turn off all bluetooth. No issues at all. Thanks for your thoughts triplets. I think you were right about that. It would be nice to be able to use bluetooth devices while recording though, especially when recording by myself at the drums with the computer and other hardware across the room. But it's not that big of a deal in the end.

Diego, that's interesting with file sharing the project. I haven't tried that. I'd like to see the YouTube video to see more what you're talking about. Hopefully your issues gets resolved!

It would be nice to be able to use bluetooth devices while recording though, especially when recording by myself at the drums with the computer and other hardware across the room.

Until they make wireless more robust and less invasive, nothing beats a cable extension and wired headphones.

I have run a couple a comparative tests with the same Logic file being played either from my Desktop or from the Google Drive, the Disk Too Slow is definitely coming from the Google thingy. I have posted screen videos of my comparative tests on youtube, it starts with the issue, compared with time 01:37 for the Desktop file version with no issue.