10.5.1 is out.

Ashermusic

wonder why some ppl have startup issues with LX. i updated to 10.5.1, opened logic... same as usual. no plugin scan, everything works (except izotope's vocalsynth2... which is taking forever to get a fix).

otherwise, am back to work, and appreciate the the logic team is on the case.

For whatever reason, the first time I launched 10.5.1 after installation, it took a really long time doing the standard “updating AU plugins” check; I’m talking 5+ minutes, to the point I was considering force quitting. But it finally progressed to the project screen. After that I tried quitting and restarting several times (including a reboot) to see if the problem would continue, but each subsequent launch has been as smooth and quick (a couple seconds) as usual, so I’m hoping it did whatever strange updating it had to do the first time and I’m now in the clear.

This happened to me as well tonight after upgrading to 10.5.1. But after that initial startup taking 5 minutes or so, it's started and acted completely normally every time since.

I checked Plug-in Manager (I have many) and they all still look fine, so hopefully just a one-time thing.

wonder why some ppl have startup issues with LX. i updated to 10.5.1

Apparently those issues have to do with 3rd party plug-ins: Logic Pro 10.5.1 stuck on splash screen

i know, it's an openGL GUI issue. and, to be fair, i see that a fixed version is now out:

https://support.izotope.com/hc/en-us/articles/360047676354-iZotope-products-in-Logic-10-5

surprised izotope hasn't emailed ppl about it! but good to see...

In the App Store, of course.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203718

That's quite the list...some new sounds too. 10.5 is amazing...puts Logic soooooo far out in front of everyone else with the most significant update ever for making modern, chart-ready songs - even for Boomers like me.

It's a great and necessary update, but the implementation of looping and general flexibilty and stability of Ableton still puts its streaks ahead of Logic for the ideas stage imo.

When I removed the offending plug in, I saw no discernible difference from a normal boot. Maybe the rest had already been scanned?

I think a separate program called auval used to be invoked for scanning in Logic, it would run on several threads and warn you of problems most of the time. That's why I said regression.

Mine just finished booting up. Took at least 30 minutes. I also have a ton of plugins and had to click a few dialog boxes. 2nd boot took around 20 seconds (2010 mac pro/ssd).

Hm. A 2010 Mac Pro, I just had a look at Geekbench, my Hack is five times faster so that's about right, 30 minutes for you, 5 for me. Plus, I have a nvme SSD which is much faster than any SSD connected to the the SATA-2 bus of your Mac.

Mac Pro 5,1's are great, but getting a bit long in the tooth. USB2, SATA-2, Firewire, all things of the past. Built like a tank though.

I remember the days I launched Logic on my Quadra 950 with Digidesign hardware(anyone remember SampleCell?) in the morning. I could make coffee, drink a cup and then it would have loaded. It took something like 5-10 minutes. Now just over 1 second...

On the other hand, I could open 10 songs and switch back and forth between them without issues. Can't do that anymore.

Since upgrading to 10.5.1, every time I open Logic it continues to rescan my Slate plugins which are validated with an iLoc. However, I have these plugins unchecked in the "Use" category of Plug-in Manager and only check them when I have the iLok attached to the MBP (it's usually on the iMac) which is the main studio computer. Is the only way of avoiding these plugins being scanned by deleting them from the "Plug-ins - Components" folder. Previous to 10.5.1 I only had to do this on the initial scan and then after that they did not scan again.

Thank you

Thank you for the quick reply. Previous to 10.5.1 these plugins did not scan each time. I prefer not to delete them from the components folder because I do use them sometimes. When I needed them before it was just a matter of inserting the iLok, checking the "Use" box in the Plugin Manager and rescanning them.

I'm wondering whether the "hardened" initial scan in 10.5.1 is based on the issue where people would install plugins, but they would not show up until a computer restart.

They may well have changed the behaviour to look a bit harder for changes and register the plugins without having to restart - time will tell on that one, I guess. Certainly part of the hardened scan is likely because the previous 10.5.0 version announced incorrect multiple outputs etc that were correctly recognised in 10.4.8, and they wanted to "fix" those for the people it affected.

I'm having big problems with 10.5.1 (and I'm not such a fan of 10.5 in general, but at least it BOOTED!). Getting plugin scans every time, which I traced to the age old culprit 'Multiple Waves shells' in the components folder. So I keep deleting the extras, but Logic keeps adding new ones at ever startup...

But here's the really weird thing I can't figure out. It keeps asking me for licenses for plugins that aren't even installed on my system. I've checked - repeatedly - and everywhere - and there are NO components for "Sonnox VocalDoubler" anywhere on my computer. Sure, I demoed it a year or so ago, but it's been deleted since. So why does Logic keep asking for a license all of a sudden? And how do I convince Logic that I don't even have this damn plugin on my computer?? (And yes, I've cheched the root audio/plugins folder as well as the individual user/audio/plugins folders. Aaaarggg... I might be going back to 10.4.8 if I can.

Logic is only seeing plugins that exist on your system. It's not Logic asking for a Sonnox licence, it's the Sonnox plugin.

Do you have things that create wrapped versions of plugins? Like like Automap, or 32Lives, or anything else? These create different versions of the plugins which can still exist even if you've removed the original.

Is that plugin listed in the plugin manager in Logic?

Also note that VoxDoubler comes as two separate plugins, so make sure both of them are removed from whatever plugin folder they were installed in.

You can of course choose to run 10.4.8 as long as you kept the app version if you're not currently happy with 10.5.x.

I posted the 2 bugs below in the 10.5 thread and Apple Feedback and happy to report that they've both been fixed in 10.5.1

"If I unlock/lock a screenset, the screenset goes blank and when I click the number at the top it say No Project Open but if I change to a different screenset the project is still open.

Did some testing and the Link is causing this issue. On 10.4.8 my template Link is set to Content and solo region performs properly.

10.5.0 with Link set to Content, solo region shoots you to the deepest folder level. Can get solo region to work properly if I set Link to Off."

Logic is only seeing plugins that exist on your system. It's not Logic asking for a Sonnox licence, it's the Sonnox plugin.

Do you have things that create wrapped versions of plugins? Like like Automap, or 32Lives, or anything else? These create different versions of the plugins which can still exist even if you've removed the original.

Is that plugin listed in the plugin manager in Logic?

Also note that VoxDoubler comes as two separate plugins, so make sure both of them are removed from whatever plugin folder they were installed in.

You can of course choose to run 10.4.8 as long as you kept the app version if you're not currently happy with 10.5.x.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the Sonnox plugin is listed in Logic's plugin manager. But it's not listed in any components folder, and searching for 'Sonnox' or 'VoxDoubler' or even 'Doubler' turns up nothing on any of my hard drives. I've done everything I can think of to figure out where Logic is getting this idea that the plugin is there.. and so far my best guess is that it's stored in a preferences file somewhere? Which would mean my next troubleshooting move would be to trash prefs, but I just kinda hate doing that coz of all the rebuilding you have to do to get them back.

But if nothing shows up on any search for 'VoxDoubler', and it's not in any components folder, where else could the dang thing be? I'm stymied. I'm also wondering if it's somehow an iLok problem, where the expired demo license somehow shows up for Logic? It makes me wish Logic's plugin-manager had a method for removing plugins altogether, or managing plugin 'sets', so at least I could take it off the list for good. Sometimes this stuff is just voodoo.

Yes, the Sonnox plugin is listed in Logic's plugin manager.

Ok. So the plugin *is* there, even if you're not seeing it for some reason.

But it's not listed in any components folder, and searching for 'Sonnox' or 'VoxDoubler' or even 'Doubler' turns up nothing on any of my hard drives.

Perhaps it's named something different?

I've done everything I can think of to figure out where Logic is getting this idea that the plugin is there.. and so far my best guess is that it's stored in a preferences file somewhere?

No, it doesn't work like that. I think it's likely still there, you just missed it. If you want to make sure, you can trash your AU cache, reboot, and force the system to re-validate all installed plugins. If the Sonnox plugin stills shows up, it's definitely still there.

But if nothing shows up on any search for 'VoxDoubler', and it's not in any components folder, where else could the dang thing be? I'm stymied.

I can't check the plugin file name as I can't download the installer from Sonnox without actually depositing a demo licence to my iLok, and I don't really want to use up a demo at this stage.

I'm also wondering if it's somehow an iLok problem, where the expired demo license somehow shows up for Logic?

No, it doesn't work like that. Having an iLok licence available has nothing at all to do with what software is installed. The software has to be installed to work.

I'm having big problems with 10.5.1 (and I'm not such a fan of 10.5 in general, but at least it BOOTED!). Getting plugin scans every time, which I traced to the age old culprit 'Multiple Waves shells' in the components folder. So I keep deleting the extras, but Logic keeps adding new ones at ever startup...

But here's the really weird thing I can't figure out. It keeps asking me for licenses for plugins that aren't even installed on my system. I've checked - repeatedly - and everywhere - and there are NO components for "Sonnox VocalDoubler" anywhere on my computer. Sure, I demoed it a year or so ago, but it's been deleted since. So why does Logic keep asking for a license all of a sudden? And how do I convince Logic that I don't even have this damn plugin on my computer?? (And yes, I've cheched the root audio/plugins folder as well as the individual user/audio/plugins folders. Aaaarggg... I might be going back to 10.4.8 if I can.

you could download 'easyfind', or 'find any file' (which i use regularly), apps that search in places spotlight won't go (the libraries, etc). you could search for sonnox, for example... then (carefully) trash (or at least, move to the desktop) those files; you may have the vsts, avid files, etc for that plugin... or other support files. anyway, hope u get it sorted. also, reach out to waves if you're still having issues with their shell files...

I had problems with this also and I think I figured out that when the scanning plugins pop up some kind of dialog box that I am supposed to respond to, its hidden behind the LPX splash screen. I basically removed those plugins from my components folder in order to get LPX to startup all the way, but if I ever try to put them back I expect a problem. This will need to be fixed by Apple I think.

we need 10.5.2 soon.. more Bugs..

i have yet to encounter an issue in 10.5.1. but that doesn't mean there aren't issues for some people, just as there will be issues for some in 10.5.2, 10.5.3, ad infinitum.

you rail constantly about logic; fair enough if you're having lots of problems. perhaps a different DAW is the solution? because expecting 10.5.2 to magically transform your logic experience is just you setting yourself up for further disappointment. there will never be a perfect moment, where everything 'just works' for everyone. just a thought...

calm down fisher king. There are reports all over the internet about this plugin scanning problem. Glad to hear you aren't experiencing it though!

am not talking about that one thing, not at all. it's the endless ranting, complaining that seems... pointless, tiresome. but that's just me; i think this forum's at it's best when we're discussing things, asking questions... getting help. still, i promise not to bring any of this up again 8-)

Ok, I did the demo anyway. The AU plugin names are:

- "VoxD Thicken.component"

- "VoxD Widen.component"

Thanks a million - found'em and deleted'em! So odd that these are the only Sonnox plug in my library that don't have the Sonnox or Oxford name in them... I thought VoxD was one of my other plugins. THere's hundreds of the the damn things.

Now if I can figure out why it keeps tripping up on all the ReLab plugins and saying my license is invalid even though the iLok app says everything is fine... And when I finally get Logic running it will run the ReLab plugins without issue . But every restart, the same warnings about how they're not licensed. Plus warnings about Waves plugins I've never owned or used or installed. Had none of these issues with 10.4.8 or 10.5, and I'm one of those old farts who goes back to the Notator days.'

Ah well, just click 'Cancel' and hope it sort itself out eventually. THANKS for your help. WHo knows, maybe I'll end up buying the damn VoxDoubler since Sonnox has a sale on.

I found the culprit by using Sample Process(via the cogwheel menu) in Activity Monitor. Sample the top scanning process(not logic itself) when in the CPU tab(sorted by % CPU) in Activity Monitor.

I then saw Independence mentioned in the log, so I took it out of the Library/Audio/Plug ins folder. After that I was back to my normal 1 second boot. You might have to repeat this a couple of times if you have several plug ins that are stale.

Oh boy. Not only did I have problems with AU scanning, I just discovered I can't open an older Logic song in 10.5.1, try as I might. Logic crashes with a vague error log.

I can open the same project in 10.5.0(I made a copy before installing 10.5.1).

Doesn't bode well for my backcatalog of Logic songs spanning 25 years...

How does one reinstall 10.4.8 BTW? Grab it from a private backup or can it still be downloaded from Apple?

There's not much that I really need in 10.5, I basically just want to be able to open my older songs without issues.