Bass guitar samples 1 octave shifted

canbaz

There is a 1 octave difference between the bass guitar and piano samples (sampler). Is there a logic or is it a mistake? Sometimes this makes me confused. The low E of a bass guitar should be E1 (middle C is C4) on the piano. However, it is E2 for bass samples. It is like they are shifted. If I change middle C to C3, then the bass samples are correct, however this time the piano samples become wrong.

In which way is this a problem ?

Actually this is not a problem. Only sometimes it can be confusing/annoying for me when I am composing, because even though the bass guitar and another instrument (e.g. piano), have the exact same notes, they sound 1 octave apart. I attached a file demonstrating this.

For me It seems like the bass guitar samples are mapped like considering the middle C is C4, however it is actually C3. I just want to confirm my theory. If I am wrong, or if there is logic behind this, I want to learn why and explore what I am missing. That's all :).

Bass.zip

For me It seems like the bass guitar samples are mapped like considering the middle C is C4, however it is actually C3. I just want to confirm my theory.

There is actually no standard that specifies which octave middle C is. For example Scientific Pitch Notation uses C4, Yamaha uses C3, and other manufacturers may use C5.

• 3 years later...

Just noticed the same thing as OP. I have to agree that it is a bit annoying. Call it OCD if you like, but I very much am in-tune with E1 being the lowest E on 4-string bass, and E2 the lowest on guitar, so I'd like my MIDI roll to reflect that. 
The only work around I found was to use the tune knob within Sampler to go up +12, and then save that instrument into User Patches for quick recall. Now E2 on the bass actually sounds a scientific E2.