Is it possible to update the Ben Boldt Instrument Software for Logic 10.5?

cj4ie
Go to solution Solved by des99,

Hi. I have been using the Ben Boldt Instrument Software for years through my transition from Garageband to Logic. Now that I have upgraded to Logic 10.5 they no longer work. I have grown accustomed to the sounds and was wondering it is possible to somehow upgrade/modernise them to work with 10.5? Can anyone recommend a tutorial that would guide me through the process of making some of the instruments compatible with 10.5?

Thank you

James

Have you tried contacting the author?

That's a good point. I searched the internet and couldn't find any way of contacting him. After reading your reply I decided to try again and after re-downloaded the 24Pack Instruments and I found his email address in the PayPal section. So after paying him (because he really deserves it and I was unemployed when I first downloaded these files) I have written to him and hopefully he's still on that email address. Thank you for the suggestion

What files are they? Are they plugins? EXS24 sampler instruments? Or something else?

I don't know for sure but I have seen in another article someone referring to them as EXS sampler files. They are still available at https://macintoshgarden.org/apps/boldt-instruments-garagebandlogic - if you have an old version of Garageband or Logic that can still read them.

• Solution

If they are EXS instruments, I can't see any reason why they wouldn't still work... I'll take a look...

Ok, so it's a package of EXS instruments channel strip settings, and plugin settings.

The EXS instruments and channel strip settings work just fine in 10.5.1.

The plugin settings when copied to the appropriate Logic locations also worked fine for me.

So I don't know why you think they don't work?

Remember that the plugins being used are old plugins which while still in Logic, are hidden in the "Legacy" instruments menu, which is only shown when you hold option and go to insert a plugin. The channel strip settings will show up in the channel strip menus as normal.

If you have any problems finding these in Logic, let me know and I'll try to help you get them up and running for you.

If you have any problems finding these in Logic, let me know and I'll try to help you get them up and running for you.

Thank you Des for the offer. I watched a YouTube video on opening third party files in Logic and then tried to do as suggested - moving the files to Home > Library > Application Support > Logic > Sampler Instruments, but the files wouldn't cooperate and instead insisted on going to the default SSD. However when I refreshed the Logic library there they were anyway. I can't find where they are on the SSD but clearly they are there somewhere and they work. Sorry for all the confusion caused and thank you for the help. The outcome is that I have finally paid something to Ben Boldt for his amazing sounds that I have used for years so I am going forward with my conscience feeling a lot better and the oboe instrument sound that I love. I would recommend these instruments to anyone who wants solo orchestral instruments that sound real. Ben actually wrote back to me and said that unfortunately he couldn't update the files as he no longer has a Mac that is new enough to do so. I will write to him and let him know that there wasn't a problem in the first place. Thanks again

I watched an instructional video on installing third party EXS instruments
where the path was Home > Library > Application Support > Logic > Sampler Instruments. My guess would be that there will be a Garageband file under Application Support that you can drop the Instrument files into as well if need be. That said, when I imported them they just went into some default file on my SSD and I still don't know where but they work in Logic all the same

• 3 weeks later...