Score editor drops notes in playback

Bill_R

I used the score editor to transcribe a piano part from sheet music. The idea was to enter it in the original key (C# minor) and then use logic to transpose it to a key more comfortable for the solo instrument, an alto sax. I entered it in the original key to proofread it prior to the transposition.

Even in the original score edit there were several places where some notes didn’t play. In the tranposition there were also dropouts, and also a few notes where the played pitches were wrong, even though the on-screen version was correct. When I click on these notes the pitches are correct, but not in playback. (I should note that the purpose of this is to serve as accompaniment for an audition. I don’t have access to a pianist.)

So my question is, how can I correct these things? I thought I could use the piano roll version, but none was created.

Even in the original score edit there were several places where some notes didn’t play. In the tranposition there were also dropouts, and also a few notes where the played pitches were wrong, even though the on-screen version was correct. When I click on these notes the pitches are correct, but not in playback.

So my question is, how can I correct these things? I thought I could use the piano roll version, but none was created.

The principle of playing in a piece of music to Logic so that it can be transposed to a different key is a sound one - but there are several techniques you may not yet have fully explored to get your score sounding right:

1/ The choice of Staffstyle is critical to the visual accuracy of the Score - if the beat/note division is not fine enough, then some notes will not appear. If your piece is complex you would need to use different Regions with different Staff Styles assigned.

2/ Working constantly referring back and forth between the Score and the Piano roll is also essential - ideally for a score you want to quantise the notes in the piano roll to the basic division of the piece ( also set the grid via the division in the Transport).

3/ If some notes are not sounding it could be that the velocity is very low.. and notes which sounded at one pitch may not be audible at a much lower or higher transposed pitch..

If you could post a few snapshots or a cut down simplified Logic Project here with the problem areas only further solving is possible.

Thank you both for attending to my plea for help. In the meantime I’ve discovered what I thought was a nomexistent piano roll

Atlas007, it’s a Steinway piano.

Music Spirit, I’ll be combing through the piano roll to see wha hoppen, with particular attention to the points you raised. Obviously I’m a newbie at logic, so I’m grateful for any help I can get.

Again, thank you both.