Play from Left Window Edge Issue

Plowman

What happened? When did this start? Since the middle nineties, one of my most used KC's has been "Play from Left Window Edge." It simply played from the left edge, wherever or whatever that was. Now in Main in 10.4.8, it re-racks to the beginning of the bar, resetting the left edge. And when it is invoked again with the playhead either moving or stopped, it clocks back to the previous bar. And then the previous bar before that. And again. And again. What kind of "Play from Left Edge" command is that?

I'm using the default KC Shift Enter. Is this a setting I've overlooked? A bug? Might someone tell me if this happens in the current 10.5 version?

842916315_PlayfromLeftWindowEdgeIssue.gif.d7a0b2ce9b3601ac74049a8eba6f5a23.gif

@ Plowman

Can't confirm for 10.5...

Definitely inconsistent in my 10.4.6

'Shift-Enter' has multiple behaviours - tried this in two projects - one with many tracks/regions, one with NO regions or content, just one software Inst track:

Plays from left screen side

Ratchets back by one tick on /16 grid

Ratchets back by two ticks on /16 grid

Ratchets back to start of previous bar

I have tried counting multiple 'Shift-Enter' hits, there is no immediately obvious pattern to the error ratchet effect.

and, finally, it behaves correctly when I run Quicktime' to make a screen movie of its bad behaviour :roll: :?

I am leaning towards it is a 'bug' pre 10.5

Now in Main in 10.4.8, it re-racks to the beginning of the bar, resetting the left edge. And when it is invoked again with the playhead either moving or stopped, it clocks back to the previous bar. And then the previous bar before that. And again. And again.

I just fired up 10.4.8 to test it and the key command (assigned to its default Shift-Enter shortcut) works as expected here. So a little troubleshooting is in order. Try a new user account?

Thanks to all three of you. My further tests were much like Frances O's. I could find no causal connection to the bug. This included creating a new user account and re-assigning the KC to a Function plus modifier key (and trashing preferences, of course).

*BUT* I opened the file without Core Audio and the key command worked perfectly. And when I re-enabled Core Audio, the bug reappeared immediately. (I'm on nothing but a Mac mini 2018 without a sound card of any kind.)

Any ideas why Core Audio would cause a common key command like Play from Left Edge to get buggy? As I'm driving only VEP, the file's not much good without sound (though it is nice to confirm the bug).

Also, Francis O., if time allows, might you try opening the file where you observed this bug without Core Audio, and see if the bug persists? To do so, open Logic and immediately hold Control. Select "Don't Launch."

@Plowman

OK... don't have that file as it was an Empty Project I created and inserted one instrument. Deleted after test.

Rebooted today. Launched without Core Audio, created another empty project and issue gone.

Quit, Launch WITH core audio, issue remains gone, but different Transport behaviours now - I believe they are the correct ones:

'Shft-Enter': Play from left side of Tracks Screen

'Shft-Enter'/ 'Enter' / 'Enter' / 'Enter' / 'Enter': Play from left side of Tracks Screen, Play from Start Cursor Point x 4 (i.e. left side of Tracks Screen)

'Shft-Enter'/ 'Spacebar' / 'Enter' / 'Enter' / 'Enter' / 'Enter': Play from left side of Tracks Screen, Stop, Play from Stop Point, Play from Start Cursor Point x 3 (i.e. left side of Tracks Screen)

OK - Added 40 tracks of audio files to empty project and turned on iTunes and Safari Streaming in background, and LOGIC stays on track so my bug leaning has been straightened out :roll: :roll:

The joys of trying to replicate software behaviours :!:

HTH

Back to composing....

"OK enough time spent chasing this ghost..."

Though no clear-cut explanation was uncovered, you did find my gratitude. The worst bugs are the ones you have alone.

Indeed, we fall down these diagnostic rabbit holes. At some point, the "I'll just live with it" threshold is crossed, and we move on.

Thanks for your work.

Dear me, when I set it at 4 ticks, the problem disappears. And when I set it back to OFF, the problem still seemed solved, with one or two small ratchets out of maybe forty attempts. It's like something got reset. Hey Frances, maybe this'll chase the ghost away for good.

How can Mr. Obermeier make a decent wage when he's just giving it away? Very grateful. You may have ransomed my favorite key command.

Thank you Christian

Tried your suggestion in new Project with one Audio Track with Apple Loop

And all settings for Cycle Pre-Processing - Off/4 ticks etc; Smooth on/off - issue persists.

I might have tracked a contributing factor down:

Empty Project, One Audio track, no audio region.

Clean Channel Strip (no Inserts/Sends) Shift-Enter function behaves as expected.

I added 1 EQ insert on Audio Channel Strip and screen ratchets backwards every few Shift-Enter key strokes.

Delete EQ on Channel Strip and use SEND slot to BUS with same EQ inserted, no issue

Also, Left/Right Scroll is probably the better term than Ratchet.

When Shift-Enter jumps backwards to earlier than left side of screen the Window Scroll Cursor is also activated

HTH