Multiple Controller Assignments

Alaric
Go to solution Solved by Alaric,

Hi! Finally made the leap from Ableton and loving it!

What must be done to have multiple control surfaces assigned to Smart Controls? I want to use one midi controller at home and a different one at the studio. I can set up one and then when I think I have the other one set up only the first one actually works. In the controller assignments window both devices show up but I can't figure out what else has to be done. Thanks for your help.

Does both of your control surfaces show up in the MIDI Controllers prefs?

Any thoughts on the controller assignments?

Also... is there any other resources with a deeper explanation of https://support.apple.com/guide/logicpro/class-pop-up-menu-parameters-ctls71c306f7/10.5/mac/10.14.6

I personally find the Ableton manual more relatable and understandable...

I feel like the logic manual was written by a coder and not an actual musician/audio engineer. Maybe It's just me but I find it rather vague and good resources on youtube are hard to find that actually go past basic setup on anything in LPX.

Cheers!

Also... is there any other resources with a deeper explanation of https://support.apple.com/guide/logicpro/class-pop-up-menu-parameters-ctls71c306f7/10.5/mac/10.14.6

Your url is pointing only at the "Controller assignments Class pop-up menu parameters in Logic Pro" documentation's section.

There are many other sections as well under Use Control Surfaces with Logic Pro.

I don't know Ableton, so I could not compare.

The approach I use with Logic's controller is directly related to the supported controllers itself. This Control Surfaces Support Guide for Logic Pro X documentation is built that way. I use an MCU Pro and a C4 from Mackie. The assignments being already mapped, the documentation explains what does what and how to use the controller.

If you happen not using a documented/supported controller, then you could use Smart Controls (easy way if familiarized with Mainstage). The Smart Controls assignments are retained within a patch preset. The Easy View could also be envisioned...

The Expert view requires more insight which eventually leads to a more in-depth understanding of the controller assignments.

Otherwise for extensive and complicated setups, create your own control assignments the hard way (Use Control Surfaces with Logic Pro section).

I feel like the logic manual was written by a coder and not an actual musician/audio engineer.
That is obviously the case...

But considering the ever growing type of controllers available on the market, to retain its adaptability and usefulness, Logic's controller assignments feature had to remain as generic as possible. The controller assignment documentation results accordingly.

However, after familiarizing with different type of supported controllers and how they interact with Logic, the fog dissipates gradually... Nevertheless, it remains a steep (and admittedly nerdy) learning curve.

Maybe It's just me but I find it rather vague and good resources on youtube are hard to find that actually go past basic setup on anything in LPX.
The above attempted to explain same...

Your url is pointing only at the "Controller assignments Class pop-up menu parameters in Logic Pro" documentation's section.

There are many other sections as well under Use Control Surfaces with Logic Pro.

I don't know Ableton, so I could not compare.

The approach I use with Logic's controller is directly related to the supported controllers itself. This Control Surfaces Support Guide for Logic Pro X documentation is built that way. I use an MCU Pro and a C4 from Mackie. The assignments being already mapped, the documentation explains what does what and how to use the controller.

If you happen not using a documented/supported controller, then you could use Smart Controls (easy way if familiarized with Mainstage). The Smart Controls assignments are retained within a patch preset. The Easy View could also be envisioned...

The Expert view requires more insight which eventually leads to a more in-depth understanding of the controller assignments.

Otherwise for extensive and complicated setups, create your own control assignments the hard way (Use Control Surfaces with Logic Pro section).

I feel like the logic manual was written by a coder and not an actual musician/audio engineer.
That is obviously the case...

But considering the ever growing type of controllers available on the market, to retain its adaptability and usefulness, Logic's controller assignments feature had to remain as generic as possible. The controller assignment documentation results accordingly.

However, after familiarizing with different type of supported controllers and how they interact with Logic, the fog dissipates gradually... Nevertheless, it remains a steep (and admittedly nerdy) learning curve.

Maybe It's just me but I find it rather vague and good resources on youtube are hard to find that actually go past basic setup on anything in LPX.
The above attempted to explain same...

So in other words you have no solution for my problem? Can you forward this to someone?

We're a community of Logic users just like you. We can try to help with the same public resources that are available to all of us, we can guide you in your research and experimentation, sometimes share some of the burden ourselves, replicate some tests to confirm or infirm a behavior, and share our experience regarding the expected behavior of the software, however we do not have any special status enabling us to forward anything to "someone". If you want to alert the Logic team @ Apple of something regarding Logic you can contact them directly at https://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html — I know they read the comments however you most likely won't get an answer and your request/suggestion/report will join the HUGE pile of request/suggestion/report they receive on a daily basis.

We're a community of Logic users just like you. We can try to help with the same public resources that are available to all of us, we can guide you in your research and experimentation, sometimes share some of the burden ourselves, replicate some tests to confirm or infirm a behavior, and share our experience regarding the expected behavior of the software, however we do not have any special status enabling us to forward anything to "someone". If you want to alert the Logic team @ Apple of something regarding Logic you can contact them directly at https://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html — I know they read the comments however you most likely won't get an answer and your request/suggestion/report will join the HUGE pile of request/suggestion/report they receive on a daily basis.

What I meant by passing this on was for someone else like yourself (who I see answer many questions) in case Atlas007 didn't have an answer. I am in no way expecting any mod here to have access to apple devs, that's rather ridiculous. That being said can you offer some advice on my problem? :)

• Solution

Here are the screen shots, Although I figured it out.

To use multiple control assignments for the same parameters,, each surface or surface pairing has to be saved. That is to say,, since the controller assignments are automatically saved you have to save each setup as its own key command template (see pic). I created one for "HOME" and one for "AWAY" so hence when you get started in which ever situation/location you may be in you have to load that key command template and everything works as desired.

KeyCmmndTemplt.thumb.png.370e45678ea87a5d170dc6624ea8cdc6.png

Surfaces.thumb.png.4289f3f126dddf9527ab51e1e97facaf.png