Input monitoring settings to hear my tracks while recording?

Dox
Go to solution Solved by Dox,

• Solution

My apologies for asking such a simple question, but . . .

I am trying to practice a guitar part while listening to a drum track I have recorded.

I can only hear the guitar track when I am recording, and when LPX isn’t playing. I want to play the drum track and hear my guitar on the guitar track simultaneously. I have tried various combinations of Input monitoring buttons on the track header. I must have early onset Alzheimer’s because I have often practised with other tracks before.

What do I need to set correctly?

• 2 years later...

I just recently discovered this secret of rehearsing a guitar part in Play mode in Logic before actually recording (with Software Monitoring enabled) - after a couple of years of not knowing what to do.  Now I know, as discussed above, disable Record (doh!)

But here's what makes it not that stupid to have been confused:

A software instrument is the exact opposite.  To just play back and rehearse without recording, you must have the Record button ENABLED (solid red-colored) to hear the sound while playing your MIDI keyboard.  So, if you're like me and have used Logic to just play sounds with my keyboard controller much more than doing guitar stuff, disabling Record on the guitar/audio track to facilitate just playing along with the project seemed counter-intuitive.  

But, I agree, it makes sense that disabling Record is the way to do it (ignoring the influence of opposite UI behavior vs. a software instrument track .)

Still, I think more than a few Logic users who play guitar and keyboards (and/or vocalists rehearsing with headphones with a mic) might be befuddled by this audio-track playback UI behavior.

I was going to scour David N's new version of his Logic book to see if this audio-track/software instrument-track playback inconsistency is covered, but I'll just ask the man himself: is this covered?  If not, I think it should be in any new book version (two wrinkles on this topic: 1) how to rehearse with audio track guitar patch while just playing back; 2) opposite UI behavior between audio and software instrument tracks for rehearsing.)  This kind of nugget might be a tip that'd be hard to find anywhere else (other than this thread :-).

Side note: David, finding the book highly useful, so far (haven't finished all chapters.)

Edited by JohnnyHands
this thread

51 minutes ago, JohnnyHands said:

To just play back and rehearse without recording, you must have the Record button ENABLED (solid red-colored) to hear the sound while playing your MIDI keyboard.  So, if you're like me and have used Logic to just play sounds with my keyboard controller much more than doing guitar stuff, disabling Record on the guitar/audio track to facilitate just playing along with the project seemed counter-intuitive

If I have this preference OFF 

image.png.894927c7018632126a17b798c922d593.png

and Auto Input Monitoring OFF as well (long click on the record button to get the menu where you can switch it off) Logic behaves exactly as you want it to.

• Like 2

And this will work for headphones-only guitar players like me?  (Don't even own an amp, but I do use an old Apollo Twin Thunderbolt 2/audio interface to plug the guitar into. Or sometimes a Scarlett Solo.)

Thanks, polanoid, for the tip!

Also, David N, I'll scour your book for something similar to polanoid's tip :-)

Edited by JohnnyHands
  • Like 1

• David Nahmani changed the title to Input monitoring settings to hear my tracks while recording?