Mod wheel automation not working on Drum Kit Designer hi-hat

ramijau

So I have been trying to automate the closing of the hi-hat using automation. I have the Input Mapping set to "GM + ModWheel controls HiHat opening level" but it doesn't read the automation. The only way I can get it to work is if I move the automation while it's playing but that's not useful in any way. I didn't have this issue until I updated logic to version 10.5.1. Any help is very much appreciated.

I just tried this here and it works as expected.

Note that this is nothing to do with "automation", it's just straight MIDI CC#1 that opens/closes the hihats in this mode (although you can do this with MIDI region automation mode).

How exactly are you using this? Perhaps you're doing it wrong..?

Well what can I say - it works just fine here. I set it up again, and used region CC#1 automation and it adjusts the hihat opening just fine, as expected, in 10.5.1.

You may be "doing it the way you always did it", but given that we have no idea of how you always did it, it doesn't really tell us much, I'm afraid. There's not much I can do if you're not willing to go into details about what you are doing which could give us clues about why it isn't working as expected for you.

• 3 years later...

I was having this issue as well.  One reproducible bug seems to be that when I have GM + HH openings selected, then change the selected hihat to brushes, then change it back to a different hh, the hh no longer opens in response to CC1 as expected.  I then have to reload a preset in order to get the hh openings to respond to mod wheel data.  Not so hard to simply avoid using the brush hh setting, but it is surprising when it happens!  

• 3 months later...

I'm having the exact same problem. I thought I'd conquered the high hat openness automation issue through the GM modwheel fix, but when I do the exact same thing with midi dragged from Logic Drummer, it's completely unresponsive to the modwheel automation. Just reviving this thread in case anyone has figured it out. Feels damn near impossible to get a good work flow going with Logic Drummer sometimes. Has a great, human feel to it, but the backend of the midi side of things is just a mess in so many ways

4 hours ago, proustmalone said:

when I do the exact same thing with midi dragged from Logic Drummer, it's completely unresponsive to the modwheel automation. 

Drummer uses MIDI articulations that determine the opening of the hi-hat notes. In order for the MIDI notes to react to mod wheel, you need to remove the articulations.

In the Piano Roll, select all the hi-hat notes, Control + click a selected note and choose Articulation > -  (dash symbol).

Screenshot 2024-04-20 at 10.36.57 AM.png