Cycle causing Disk too slow or System Overload

scottsigler

• First, I've solved many issues because of this board, and I'm so grateful people here share their knowledge.

• Second, I did search for this problem on here (and on YouTube, Google, etc.), and I couldn't find a corresponding issue. If I've missed a thread, just point me in the right direction.

• Third, I have done a ton of troubleshooting on this, and will list all I've already done as best I can.

I feel like I am missing a simple setting somewhere. This can't be a regular problem Logic users deal with, or the software wouldn't be even remotely successful.

SUMMARY OF PROBLEM:

• When I am using Cycle to make a section repeat, I am getting "Disk is too slow or System Overload"

• I have this issue on multiple songs with a larger number of tracks (30 up to 129)

• I should have enough processing power to handle this

• The same section or sections played when Cycle is off usually do not produce that error.

• When the file is playing and reaches the end of the Cycle, Drive I/O shoots to 100%, and/or Core 1 Spikes to 100%

• With all bus plugins turned off, I don't get the issue, but I can't consistently reproduce the error with one particular plugin or sequence of plugins activated

• I can sometimes get the error with only one track active (the green light), but that is not reproducible every time

• Again, with Cycle off, I rarely get the problem

MY RIG:

• Logic file is on a Lacie Mobile Media Drive (bought from Apple), 5TB SSD, but recording onto a 1TB partition (569.96GB available) formatted as MacOS Extended (Journaled)

• iMac Pro 2017, 3.2 GHz Intel Xeon W (1TB SSD HD, 51.54GB available, 13.35GB purgeable)

• 64 GB Ram 2666 MHz DDR4

• Mojave 10.14.6

• Logic 10.5.1

• Apollo x4 and UAD-2 Satellite connected via Thunderbolt 3

SUMMARY OF TROUBLESHOOTING STEPS:

• I am mixing, not recording any live tracks

• Sample rate 44.1

• No tracks are in Live mode

• All MIDI tracks have been bounced in place, then deleted, leaving only analog tracks

• I get the error on multiple settings of the I/O Buffer Size (but mostly have it set at 1024)

• Most tracks have bus sends, with the plugins being on the busses

• The majority of my plugins are from UAudio, and are (I'm pretty sure) running on the processors of an Apollo x4 and a UAD-2 Satellite

• I have turned off inputs on all tracks

• Bluetooth is turned off

• Wifi is turned off

• All applications off except for Logic, UAD Console, UAD Meter & Control Panel

• Process buffer is set to "Large"

• ReWire off

• Multithreading set to "Playback & Live Tracks." When it is on "Playback Tracks" the problem is even worse

• Running on Low Latency Mode makes no difference

• Software Monitoring is off

• I have tons of headroom in UAD processing (see screenshot, below)

• Low Latency Mode on or off makes no difference

• No tracks are frozen (as most plug-ins are utilized via bus sends)

• Processing Threads is set to "Automatic." I can select up to 16. Setting to "16" specifically makes no difference

SCREENSHOTS:

p.png?fv_content=true&size_mode=5

p.png?fv_content=true&size_mode=5

Logic file is on a Lacie Mobile Media Drive (bought from Apple), 5TB SSD, but recording onto a 1TB partition (569.96GB available) formatted as MacOS Extended (Journaled)

That is not a 5TB SSD, it's a 5400 rpm spinning HD. No way a 5TB SSD costs only 170 bucks.

Using 2 partitions on a slow drive is not recommended.

Have you tried playing the project from the internal drive of your iMac Pro?

Logic file is on a Lacie Mobile Media Drive (bought from Apple), 5TB SSD, but recording onto a 1TB partition (569.96GB available) formatted as MacOS Extended (Journaled)

That is not a 5TB SSD, it's a 5400 rpm spinning HD. No way a 5TB SSD costs only 170 bucks.

Using 2 partitions on a slow drive is not recommended.

Have you tried playing the project from the internal drive of your iMac Pro?

Yeah, looks like I made a big mistake thinking that was an SSD drive. I wonder if that is the core issue. I'll definitely look into that.

I will also troubleshoot by moving it to the iMac internal. I assumed I was doing the right thing by getting it off the internal, but since I was an idiot about the external drive, I'll give it a shot.

And that's that — I copied it to the internal HD and had no problems whatsoever, it's Cycling like Lance Armstrong (so the 5% free space doesn't seem to be an issue in this case).

SSD external arrives tomorrow.

Really mad at myself for such a dumb mistake, but thank you for solving it for me!