Is there a panic button for a MIDI stuck note, and Logic limitations ?

Bebop26
Go to solution Solved by Bebop26,

• Solution

Yesterday night, I was having some real fun, jamming with myself since we cannot jam with people anymore these days...

I was playing simultaneously many software instruments with my MIDI keyboard controller : violin, viola, cello, double bass and electric piano. I know, this is not a usual thing to do, but I was having fun with that set-up.

All the instruments were playing at the same time.

I had many problems with some sticking notes, probably because I was asking too much to the system and playibng to many notes at the same time, or too many instruments at the same time, in a live context. When I had those sticking notes, I tried to pluck my two forearms on my keyboard to stop the sticking note, but it would not stop. Every time it happened, the only solution I found was to quit Logic and restart it.

My first question is obvious : is there some kind of a MIDI panic button, that sends a NOTE OFF MESSAGE to all the notes ?

My second question is this : when we play a hardware keyboard, we know its limit : some old ones were ... monophonic, some could play 8 notes, some 16, some 32. In Logic, is there a know limit, or it depends of the memory of our system and the CPU use of the different software instruments we are playing ?

Thanks in advance to those who will read this, trying to help.

Have a good day a good music !

Thanks des99 !

I think my question was possibly not correct.

I think your answer would help me to stop a hung note on an external MIDI module or keyboard, but would it stop a hung note on a Logic software instrument ? (I will test it next time I have this problem, but I have to say that my display shows no midi activityat all since I have no midi connections...)

It sends MIDI note offs to every channel to stop sounding notes. You can also try, on the same manual page:

"In Logic Pro, do one of the following:

Click the lower section of the MIDI Activity display.

Click the Stop button twice in rapid succession."

Whether it works, I don't know, as I don't really know the nature of your problem exactly. but one or other of those should work - if they don't, post back and we can investigate some more.

...In Logic, is there a know limit, or it depends of the memory of our system and the CPU use of the different software instruments we are playing ?

Logic's tech specs are posted here.

There is no mention about how many MIDI notes (or events) Logic can actually handle at once.

But considering that VI's and MIDI's tracks type could pile up to a 1000 each, the door is wide open for speculation and black MIDI testing.

Besides the systems performance you mention, the MIDI bandwidth itself also has inherent limitation.

If MIDI loop isn't at stake, I'd say that quite often glitches that could also occur at different levels are probably the most preeminent reason of stuck notes...