Logic 10.6.2. Release Notes

David Nahmani

I just did a quick test. Still have a problem with side chain PDC:

Yup. It seems like the PDC was not entirely fixed. The bus sidechain latency is still a thing.

Someone posted this video on Reddit:

Not fixed at all. The update made no difference for me. What an absolute joke :x

Not fixed at all. The update made no difference for me. What an absolute joke :x

Yeah, I don't know what they were smoking when they posted that update. I can imagine them sitting in a room, patting each other on the back, some even hugging, a single tear streaming down some of their faces, as they whispered to each other: "We did it. We f'ing did it."

But basically, they just wanted us to shut up about it, while they posted a "non-update."

Yeah, I don't know what they were smoking when they posted that update. I can imagine them sitting in a room, patting each other on the back, some even hugging, a single tear streaming down some of their faces, as they whispered to each other: "We did it. We f'ing did it."

But basically, they just wanted us to shut up about it, while they posted a "non-update."

what about the other bugs, fixes, enhancements in this update? you're suggesting that the fix that you're waiting for (and certainly deserve) didn't happen, and the above scenario explains it. the real world is a much simpler place.

what about the other bugs, fixes, enhancements in this update? you're suggesting that the fix that you're waiting for (and certainly deserve) didn't happen, and the above scenario explains it. the real world is a much simpler place.

I was being facetious and completely joking. I know the world and Logic updates don't revolve around me. I've actually generally been more supportive and understanding with Apple than most. I didn't realize my tongue-in-cheek comments would be taken so deeply to heart. My apologies!

That being said, yes, it seems like most people will probably be very happy and content with this update. Thankfully, I backed up the 6.1 version like David suggested earlier in this thread, and went back to it. I actually found the PDC and ADC worsened for me in the update. So, I'll just hold out hope for a 6.3 update in the future that will actually improve the experience for me. For ME. :lol:

I was being facetious and completely joking. I know the world and Logic updates don't revolve around me. I've actually generally been more supportive and understanding with Apple than most. I didn't realize my tongue-in-cheek comments would be taken so deeply to heart. My apologies!

That being said, yes, it seems like most people will probably be very happy and content with this update. Thankfully, I backed up the 6.1 version like David suggested earlier in this thread, and went back to it. I actually found the PDC and ADC worsened for me in the update. So, I'll just hold out hope for a 6.3 update in the future that will actually improve the experience for me. For ME. :lol:

text is just text, and says just what it says. without a 'just kidding!' or something, or at least, an emoji... there's no way to know what's happening between the lines... :?

anyway, been working all morning, and logic is behaving well here, on 10.6.2 update.

text is just text, and says just what it says. without a 'just kidding!' or something, or at least, an emoji... there's no way to know what's happening between the lines... :?

Sorry, I thought the over-the-top imaginary sequence including a "single tear streaming down some of their faces" etc would have made that clear. Mea culpa.

anyway, been working all morning, and logic is behaving well here, on 10.6.2 update.

Yeah, overall, for me its working too. But I opened up one of my heaviest recent sessions which was doing "okay" on 10.6.1 and in 10.6.2 I was getting crazy CPU spikes. I couldn't play through the track without the dreaded "Error while trying to synchronize Audio and MIDI" message and the audible crackling/breaking up of the audio. So, I went back to 10.6.1 and it's working dandy as before, albeit the continued sidechain PDC.

My impression about the side chaining bug is that it happens SPECIFICALLY when you have auxes feeding other auxes in the process. If you look at the procedure I posted earlier that is the case. If you change that procedure so that the latent plugin is on the audio track and feeding directly from there to the sidechain without going through an aux first, then the problem goes away.

I personally think the problem has ALWAYS been about pdc when auxes are feeding other auxes and also when auxes are feeding the master channel, and a few scenarios where the pdc algorithms used by logicpro may need some significant rearchitecture in order to handle proper pdc alignment in some of those scenarios. You often hear people complaining about side chaining or automation but actually when you look at the details of their complaint, there is also some kind of aux/master bus complexity involved in their scenario and I feel that is the real problem that needs to be fixed.

I’m sure they must have fixed something in this release or they would not have said so; but this deeper and most likely bigger problem related aux/master pdc has been overlooked for now. It coincidentally shows up a lot when people are combining those complexities with side chaining.

Edit: it has also been suggested on another forum by a very experienced logicpro veteran that the problem is even more specific then that, it has to do with when there is more then one aux signal chain and they are of different lengths, meaning aux feeding aux feeding master compared to aux feeding master, for example, won’t align properly. Or something along those lines

Edited by Dewdman42

Sorry, I thought the over-the-top imaginary sequence including a "single tear streaming down some of their faces" etc would have made that clear. Mea culpa.

Yeah, overall, for me its working too. But I opened up one of my heaviest recent sessions which was doing "okay" on 10.6.1 and in 10.6.2 I was getting crazy CPU spikes. I couldn't play through the track without the dreaded "Error while trying to synchronize Audio and MIDI" message and the audible crackling/breaking up of the audio. So, I went back to 10.6.1 and it's working dandy as before, albeit the continued sidechain PDC.

internet is overflowing with lunacy, so again, no way to know how 'sincere' you are (or aren't) without a signifier, ie an emoji.

try resetting the nvram, the smc... see if that helps with 10.6.2 (and/or just rebooting).

internet is overflowing with lunacy, so again, no way to know how 'sincere' you are (or aren't) without a signifier, ie an emoji.

For sure. I'll be super vigilant in the future. 8-)

try resetting the nvram, the smc... see if that helps with 10.6.2 (and/or just rebooting).

I'll give the nvram/smc reset a go. I did, however, reboot after downloading and before starting up 10.6.2.

I don't mind having to continue dealing with 10.6.1. I mean, I've found workarounds for most of the issues I've had.

My impression about the side chaining bug is that it happens SPECIFICALLY when you have auxes feeding other auxes in the process.

Thanks for this info! This might be my issue for sure. What I've been doing is having a "ghost" MIDI click, basically a track with Klopfgeist loaded. The track's output is sending to Bus 1, and Bus 1 has no output. So, I side chain my instruments via Bus 1 in the Logic Compressor.

The tracks that were giving me grief were actually vocal tracks that were stacked through a bus, and on that vocal bus, I had the compressor side chaining the whole stack at the end of the plugin chain. It could be that this aux routing was the culprit. I also noticed it got worse whenever I put Soothe on that vocal bus as well, so I just kept it off while I was mixing. I'll have to keep experimenting.

For sure. I'll be super vigilant in the future. 8-)

seriously... i'm not (apparently) in charge here, so you should do what you want. just thought you were an angry 14-year-old (or something)... and perhaps you are. aren't we all, really? :mrgreen:

seriously... i'm not (apparently) in charge here, so you should do what you want. just thought you were an angry 14-year-old (or something)... and perhaps you are. aren't we all, really? :mrgreen:

Haha! Yup, you've got me! I'm an angry 14-year-old masquerading as an older buffoon. :lol:

Kidding aside, there is no snark or sarcasm in the last few messages I was posting (beyond the initial post that was a total joke bomb, I admit). I wave the white flag!!

Look at when Amnestic joined the forum. That would mean he joined right out of the womb. :mrgreen: I doubt it! Hey amnestic, good to see you here, I remember you from way back, I loved your music. :D

David, mon frère, I kept meaning to message you to say hello, but worried you might not even remember me!

And now I'm so ashamed of how this whole thread has spiralled out of control on your wonderful forum!

Gosh, I'm literally so touched that you loved my music. I've always loved your music, your songs were a huge inspiration to me when I was recording back in the day, and I still have moments where your tunes pop into my head. I'd love to hear them all again, and I hope you still find the time to record some amazing tunes.

We'll have to do a proper catch-up at some point, and maybe share some work. The pandemic caused me to dive into music composition again, and boy did I miss it. I'm so glad I've reopened this part of my brain again.

Oh, I just remembered I once tried to do a remix for you and failed miserably! :lol:

But I hope you're doing splendidly, that you're healthy, and looking forward to connecting again at some point in the future. :mrgreen:

Haha! Yup, you've got me! I'm an angry 14-year-old masquerading as an older buffoon. :lol:

Kidding aside, there is no snark or sarcasm in the last few messages I was posting (beyond the initial post that was a total joke bomb, I admit). I wave the white flag!!

we're all good, really! and i've been posting lunatic things here since i joined (right out of the womb in fact). this forum is always open on my macbook; on my imac, i run logic and final cut; on my macbook, i run my mouth... :o 8-)

I just started a new thread on this topic. It does happen absolutely you can replicate it following the steps I gave on the other thread. I'm not sure what exactly Apple fixed in 10.6.2, they obviously must have fixed something, but they did not fix this well known bug this time unfortunately.

I just started a new thread on this topic. It does happen absolutely you can replicate it following the steps I gave on the other thread. I'm not sure what exactly Apple fixed in 10.6.2, they obviously must have fixed something, but they did not fix this well known bug this time unfortunately.

wait... is this what jimdillian is referencing? am now totally confused (more than usual)... :shock:

Hi :)

After upgrading to 10.6.2 all my Drummer tracks is not working right. I open a song with 20-30 tracks, and everything sounds fine until I select a Drummer-track. Then all I hear from the Drummer-track is klicks and short clips of drum sounds.

Any suggestions on this?

I'm on Big Sur 11.2.1 Mac mini M1, 2020

Hi :)

After upgrading to 10.6.2 all my Drummer tracks is not working right. I open a song with 20-30 tracks, and everything sounds fine until I select a Drummer-track. Then all I hear from the Drummer-track is klicks and short clips of drum sounds.

Any suggestions on this?

I'm on Big Sur 11.2.1 Mac mini M1, 2020

Hi there, does it sound like the audio is breaking up/ skipping, and do you get any error messages?

Try increasing your buffer size and see if that helps.

Don't forget to first duplicate "Logic Pro" in your Applications folder (Control-click and choose Duplicate) to have a backup BEFORE you update. You never know! :)

Duplicate.png

You can then rename your backup after its version number, and safely update the original:

update original.png

Note to self: Read David's notes before updating Logic next time.

David, mon frère, I kept meaning to message you to say hello, but worried you might not even remember me!

And now I'm so ashamed of how this whole thread has spiralled out of control on your wonderful forum!

Gosh, I'm literally so touched that you loved my music. I've always loved your music, your songs were a huge inspiration to me when I was recording back in the day, and I still have moments where your tunes pop into my head. I'd love to hear them all again, and I hope you still find the time to record some amazing tunes.

We'll have to do a proper catch-up at some point, and maybe share some work. The pandemic caused me to dive into music composition again, and boy did I miss it. I'm so glad I've reopened this part of my brain again.

That's really good to hear that you've taken life's lemons to make lemonade and used the pandemic as an excuse to compose music again. Very good to hear that, more power to you. :D

I always loved Logic and don't want to be salty but..I roll back to 10.6.1....Timing is not so tight on 10.6.2 (my experience) and a simple klopfgeist-sidechain-compressor thru an bus/aux already messes the timing.(much more than in 10.6.1)

Im on Catalina

there isn't enough difference between 10.6.1 and 10.6.2 to cause these sort-of issues. try a reboot; try resetting the nvram, or smc. and perhaps others have ideas about this.

i don't hear any difference (sound, timing) in any of the files i've opened since the new update; no one else has mentioned that either.